Automotive

Any way to prevent static electricity/shock when opening and closing car door ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2006 10:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18144 posts
1051 upvotes

Any way to prevent static electricity/shock when opening and closing car door ?

This is a very noob question as I don't know too much about cars but is there a way to prevent static electricity from shocking me when I open and close car doors ?

My parent's car is a Ford Taurus and almost every time I get out of the car, I get shocked when I touch the door to close it. Doesn't hurt a lot but it is a shock ! I hate it and my gf gets shocked too when she closes the door. I don't recall if I was wearing a particular piece of clothing but it seems like it happens no matter what I wear.

I notice some cars have a little trailing thing on the rear bumper that touches the ground, does this thing ground the car and discharge the static electricity ? Or is it some high-tech gadget that is not related to static electricity at all ?

Any info would be helpful.........if this doesn't happen to people, then I must be crazy.......
27 replies
Apr 6, 2006
163 posts
7 upvotes
Yup, you need the dangly thing. My car was doing the same thing and it drove my finacee and I mad. It's a rubber strip with a wire running through it to ground the car.

I bought one at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]Canadian Tire[/rfdlink]. I can't remember how much it was but I'm pretty sure it was less than $10 (I'm thinking around $6?).

Just be sure to attach it to the metal frame of the car (some part of the chassis) and hangs down far enough to touch the ground.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2003
9261 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
The other thing you can try is to ground yourself as you slide out of the seat. A lot of the static charge happens as you slide your butt out of the car, so what I do is: I open the door partway, but I keep my thumb or finger on one of the bolts at the end of the door (or any metallic part of the door) while I slide my body out. Once my entire body is clear of the car then I let go. If I do this, I never get a shock.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2002
3307 posts
26 upvotes
All I do is touch a metal (usually the top of the door) through my clothing as Im going out.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1126 posts
56 upvotes
Those little tails on the rear of cars disintegrate really quick... they work but the bottom of the thing usually erodes as you drive along.

I ground myself with my calf or bottom of my leg, when I get out of the car, I make contact with the bottom of the car's side (under the door), that'll do the trick. Since it's your leg, it's less sensitive than if you were to use your hands or fingers. And usually you're wearing long pants, so it doesn't sting as much.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2423 posts
82 upvotes
Yeah, I drive a crapalier, and the only way to avoid 10000kw shock is to grab a little screw in the handle on the door to ground myself before I swing out of the car. That said, an interesting point my friend made is that if you take *extra* care not to drag your butt as you leave the car, chances are you won't get THAT bad of a shock at least.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
Those dangling things really work for this? I thought it was for incase lightning strikes your car and it will go to the ground !

I get shocked easily too. In dry seasons, you can actually see the spark coming from my finger to a doorknob. You can even hear the spark sound, I kid you not. Just ask my family.

So, here's what I do:

Car doors: use my fingernails/tips to push the center of the glass. Or push the handle of the door = non-metal

Doorknobs: hold a key, touch the key to the knob first. You will get a spark on the key, your hand will not feel it. Then you are discharged, and you can turn the door knob with your hands.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3805 posts
4 upvotes
another reason to buy imports.....my civic never shocked me :D
"So, what happens when I use Monster cable with Bose speakers? Do two of them cause the multiplied composite effect, creating a sort of fiscal black hole, in which money disappears never to be seen again?"
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2004
1420 posts
48 upvotes
Ottawa
masterballer wrote:another reason to buy imports.....my civic never shocked me :D
'cause it can't get up to speed to build up any friction from the air :lol:

I usually just hit/tap my door with my hand. You don't feel the shock as much - maybe because your brain is expecting the impact to stir up the nerves and so you're expecting it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18144 posts
1051 upvotes
haha all this time I thought it was just me or my parent's car. My girlfriend is always complaining that my parent's car doesn't like her, hence the nasty shocks.

Doesn't happen on my Acura now that I think of it. But the seats are leather so maybe no static ?

Anyways, thx for the tips. I will try the tail thingy but if it disintegrates in a few months then I will need to change the way I open the door as I get out.
Dec 2, 2005
311 posts
masterballer wrote:another reason to buy imports.....my civic never shocked me :D
I got shocked all the time with my old 98 Camry and 06 Accord. When I was wearing a fleece hoodie sometimes the shock would be so powerful that you could see a blue spark. Man that was painful :evil: .
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2004
1914 posts
acutally my crv has no mercy.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2003
1975 posts
20 upvotes
Just hold the doorframe THEN start to step out. Let go when you're completely out. Simple. Don't pull on the doorframe though, you don't want warping over time, just hold on to it.
HIDCanada - Illuminating Your World
..:: High Intensity Discharge Lighting - Automotive & Consumer
× < >