• Last Updated:
  • Jul 16th, 2012 5:22 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 11, 2004
219 posts
77 upvotes

Any way to stop wrong number Calls?

I'm quite disturbed with all these wrong-number calls happening , in my phone book there are currently 20+ numbers I've put with a silent ringtone & "always to voicemail" option. But without rooting, my Android phone always get the first ring or buzz before the filtering kicks in. Enough to wake me up 4 in the morning. I tried telling those people nicely and not so nicely that they got a wrong number and stop calling. Apparently they don't speak english so they just hang up and calls again.

Since I have these numbers in my contacts, those people are now harassing me on WhatsApp asking if I am this one particular person.

Most of these people are from Kenya Africa, but some are from Paris, Ethiopia, Texas, you name it.

I'm with Wind mobile :facepalm: and I've switched numbers with them for 4 times now. They kept lying to me each time saying the numbers were "new and never used", but turns out they were just garbage recycled numbers...At one point I got a collector's call within 30 minutes of activating a "new" number.

I tried calling Wind for my situation and they couldn't do anything for me.

Now that my resume and freelance clients has my current number, I can't afford another number change again.

Are there any additional remedy to this?

Thanks!
7 replies
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
Hi,

use Llama to set time/location based events, eg silent after 9pm
use YouMail to control your voicemail, let unknown callers get a different message
Nov 11, 2004
219 posts
77 upvotes
lostintransit wrote: Hi,

use Llama to set time/location based events, eg silent after 9pm
use YouMail to control your voicemail, let unknown callers get a different message
Thanks for the suggestions, do you know if Llama supports phone number filtering conditions? I can't silent / autoVM all my calls as I may have client or other important calls even at odd hours. If I can just filter a specific country code.. that would be sufficient.
Nov 14, 2008
857 posts
325 upvotes
no sorry. i dont think youmail even supports specific country codes
Nov 11, 2004
219 posts
77 upvotes
lostintransit wrote: no sorry. i dont think youmail even supports specific country codes
OK np, thanks for the suggestions anyway.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
someone nice enough on RFD suggested afirewall in Google Play. I block all calls and sms messages.

i would love to know if there is a way to block sms messages from coming in though since even when blocked, I still incur $0.20 each time. Not that I have a lot coming in.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
I use Extreme Call Blocker on Google Play and works like a charm. It has a few options to play with but I set numbers to pick up the call and hang up right away. Don't have a missed call nor do I leave the caller a chance to flood my voicemail either. It does block SMS messages but I believe it just doesn't end up in your SMS app. To block SMS messages from your carrier, I doubt any app will do that.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2011
1130 posts
211 upvotes
YYZ
Mr number call block works like a charm !!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)