Cell Phones

Any way to use a T-Mobile plan in the US, then switch to a canadian number ?

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2016 10:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
3097 posts
1514 upvotes
QC, Canada

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/unlimited ... 028_998766

This is getting very interesting, 10GB that roll to the next month if you don't use it, and free roaming in the US and CA
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Good luck. From the fine print, "Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network."

In any case T-Mob doesn't have a Canadian presence so they have no direct way to issue Canadian phone numbers, bill Canadians in Canada, etc.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
3097 posts
1514 upvotes
QC, Canada
bylo wrote: Good luck. From the fine print, "Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network."

In any case T-Mob doesn't have a Canadian presence so they have no direct way to issue Canadian phone numbers, bill Canadians in Canada, etc.
damn :(
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
If it was so easy everyone would be doing it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Sure. Front it with VoIP.
I have a TBay number that even I don't know.
All calls get forwarded to it.
SMS goes to a different cilent.
Jul 13, 2008
7 posts
death_hawk wrote: Sure. Front it with VoIP.
I have a TBay number that even I don't know.
All calls get forwarded to it.
SMS goes to a different cilent.
death_hawk - can you give a little more specific info for those of us that aren't very techie? I live in Canada but work in the US & want to get on T-mobile but not lose my Canadian number. More info would be really helpful! :)
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
My wife has an iPad with free 200mb/month for life from TM. It works in Canada but we don't use it here, we don't want to get cut off for too much international use.
Jul 20, 2014
902 posts
213 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
it shouldn't be that bad to do, get set up in a store, online billing.
May 30, 2007
44 posts
1 upvote
habschick wrote: death_hawk - can you give a little more specific info for those of us that aren't very techie? I live in Canada but work in the US & want to get on T-mobile but not lose my Canadian number. More info would be really helpful! :)
Your best and cheapest option is to register a Canadian MagicJack service and then forward it to any number in North America as needed. Just make sure you have voicemail setup on the end line. As soon as to enable MagicJack forwarding, their voicemail service will no longer work at all. Just keep in mind that sms texts week not get forwarded. You can also still use the MagicJack app or device to make free unlimited long distance calls in North America as needed, so it can be used to hell keep your long distance call costs down.
May 30, 2007
44 posts
1 upvote
i6s1 wrote: My wife has an iPad with free 200mb/month for life from TM. It works in Canada but we don't use it here, we don't want to get cut off for too much international use.
This is a great service, and it's free also. The only problem with this service is that under their terms and conditions, the device MUST connect to the T-Mobile network at least once a year to keep the account in good standing. Thus a simple shipping trip south of the border, or even close to the border, will allow the device to connect directly to the T-Mobile network and renew the device for another year.

If you turn off all the app and device updates on the device and in your Google account, when the device is on the USA, it won't be trying to chew up all the free monthly data for nothing. This will give you more than enough data for surfing, email or using a VoIP app to make free calls with through this device. Hint: I do this with my AXS TRIO 4G tablet from them, also with the free lifetime data.

If you need more data, you can buy a 5gb data plan add-on online for $10 USD that can last up to 150 days of validity.
May 30, 2007
44 posts
1 upvote
bylo wrote: Good luck. From the fine print, "Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network."

I know a few people in Canada that have this plan and user out mainly in Canada. As they travel fairly frequently to the USA for 1-3 weeks at a time, they've never had an issue with T-Mobile cancelling their service. And if they did have it cancelled I'd understand, but their monthly usage is very low, si it never raises any issues of abuse on the account.

However, it your are Canadian and travel frequently to the USA, then register for service with wind, and if to travel to the USA just call wind or go online, and add their $15/mth of unlimited usa roaming service. The option will cover to for up to a month, and if your stay there is only a week or so, then just call wind back, have them revive it from your account, and then prorate the roaming fee add-on charged.

Now there are actually some free services that will provide to with a free incoming number that you can forward to any number with both America for free. This way you can give people in the USA your usa number that can be forwarded to your Canadian number, and then they can call you for free and you can answer their calls for free, wherever you are.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29708 posts
29127 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
grmoro wrote: I know a few people in Canada that have this plan and user out mainly in Canada. As they travel fairly frequently to the USA for 1-3 weeks at a time, they've never had an issue with T-Mobile cancelling their service. And if they did have it cancelled I'd understand, but their monthly usage is very low, si it never raises any issues of abuse on the account.
Fair enough. It's worth pointing out the official terms because there's a risk that T-Mob could decide to crack down.
However, it your are Canadian and travel frequently to the USA, then register for service with wind...
Free WiFi is so common in the US that if you travel to urban areas there may not be any need to get a US-based service or pay for roaming. That's not for everyone but it's worth considering.
Now there are actually some free services that will provide to with a free incoming number that you can forward to any number with both America for free. This way you can give people in the USA your usa number that can be forwarded to your Canadian number, and then they can call you for free and you can answer their calls for free, wherever you are.
Both Fongo and TextNow provide free Canadian phone numbers that work anywhere (in the world) where there's WiFi. Google Voice can also provide a free US phone number that works in a similar way. This also works using local country SIMs so that you're always reachable on your normal number(s) and can also call back home no matter where you are. Again this isn't for everyone. But it's option.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)