Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76607 posts
1553 upvotes

Any Xplornet users here? Question to ask

Ive been an Xplornet customer for almost 8 years now due to location. Ive never really had issues with them for down time or the like, and have put up with their speeds due to the fact its wireless.

Recently they have been doing a lot of upgrades and can get LTE now, which of course is more money per month, but faster. Have to pay a $99 upgrade fee for new equipment, and my monthly term would increase from $45 a month to $60 a month (for 12 months) and then $70 after that.

Only thing is, since Im on a grandfathered plan, I have unlimited internet, no caps. So don't have to worry about tracking use, use Netflix all the time, download, surf, the usual stuff.

Their new plans while faster have a cap, this one above of 250GB a month.

Just seeing if anyone has Xplornet LTE and what their experiences are with it. I don't know what I use for bandwidth per month, if it would even come close to 250GB or not.

JUst wondering before I go through with it if slower speeds but unlimited is better than faster speeds but worrying about the monthly cap.

As it sits right now, if someone is using Netflix, internet is very slow, or if someone does use the internet, Netflix get choppy. We work around it, but some nights, can be a pain
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4101 posts
625 upvotes
Abbottabad
Their commercial with the little girl in bed saying goodnight to her grandpa is creepy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76607 posts
1553 upvotes
iamskyhigh wrote:
Jun 13th, 2015 1:20 pm
Their commercial with the little girl in bed saying goodnight to her grandpa is creepy.
Well that was useful :-)
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2738 posts
202 upvotes
Nations Capital
I for one am glad to be free of Xplornet!

But here are some sites that may help:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301014 ... dth-limits
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss/fo ... y.php?f=30

Best bet if you track your bandwidth usage on your router. or via Software (there are a bunch of free ones)

Then you can see how much you need.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76607 posts
1553 upvotes
Calmuser wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 1:57 pm
I for one am glad to be free of Xplornet!

But here are some sites that may help:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301014 ... dth-limits
http://www.xplornetsucks.com/forumss/fo ... y.php?f=30

Best bet if you track your bandwidth usage on your router. or via Software (there are a bunch of free ones)

Then you can see how much you need.

Thanks, Ive never tracker, well, because, Ive never had to. Im sure I can find out on my router, have to look into it.

While I know others have issues with them, Ive rarely been out of service, even in terrible weather.

Im just worried if I upgrade since it will be reading off new towers will I still have the same uptime as I have now
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2738 posts
202 upvotes
Nations Capital
Well it depends on the tech. I don't know how well the new LTE works.

Are you surrounded by alot of trees? That was my main problem when I had Xplornet. Trees! Well my uptime wasn't bad. I never got the speeds I payed for, even after they upgraded me to their 3.5ghz service for free!

Best bet is to search around, that xplornet sucks forum doesn't' seem to be that as active as it was when I was Xplornet. Maybe they've improved?
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76607 posts
1553 upvotes
Calmuser wrote:
Jun 15th, 2015 2:13 pm
Well it depends on the tech. I don't know how well the new LTE works.

Are you surrounded by alot of trees? That was my main problem when I had Xplornet. Trees! Well my uptime wasn't bad. I never got the speeds I payed for, even after they upgraded me to their 3.5ghz service for free!

Best bet is to search around, that xplornet sucks forum doesn't' seem to be that as active as it was when I was Xplornet. Maybe they've improved?
Some trees, but not bush for sure, its southern Alberta. My line of sight is clear now and im close to the wireless tower now. But not sure where the new tower is yet.

Speeds Im not if I get what I pay for, to be honest, as long as I can surf, and watch Netflix, don't care about download speeds. Apathy as I get older, it works, good enough.

Kind of on the fence, why screw with something that works, but the better bandwidth would save some fights in the house :-)
Jul 11, 2017
47 posts
15 upvotes
I'm on xplornet lte, 25meg, 300GB, in Ontario. Because I have no other choice. I consistently get 25mbs in my speed tests, and am about 6 miles from the tower with trees in the way. A couple of times in the evening it will slow down.
Sep 14, 2011
23 posts
4 upvotes
We are a family of 3 using Explorenet LTE for the last 18 months. We have a 250GB data cap and never get close to using it all. On average we use about 90GB per month. In the winter we use Netflix for about 50% of our TV viewing. However, we do not stream in HD. We also have a teenager who is always online with multiple devices at a time. I work from home 1 day a week and do not have many issues until the evening hours and then I can experience slow upload issues. Weather such as heavy rain and snow means you will experience issues with quality of service.

I hope this helps you.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
3459 posts
390 upvotes
I'm on Xplornet Satellite 25 mbps down / 4 mbps up 100GB bandwidth and have to say a lot of the negative reviews have not applied to me. I've tried calling in to see if I can upgrade my plan to a higher bandwidth but they said they couldn't because its full. This tells me they've tried to stop overselling their bandwidth. I was told they would be launching another satellite in the new year but I haven't seen any news about that so not sure if they're telling the truth.