Shopping Discussion

Anybody in Canada has ordered Items from US (like through Amazon)?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2012 2:20 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 3, 2008
471 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver

Anybody in Canada has ordered Items from US (like through Amazon)?

I was looking for certain earplugs for sleep which I can't find in Canada, and certainly not for a decent price. Anyhow, I decided to google "amazon.com delivery Canada" and apparently they do deliver:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... eId=596192

but personal care item, which perhaps the earplug would be counted as, has a $7.99 per shipment and $1.99/lb per item (not sure if that's separate or they combine the charge) delivery charge. Not only that, apparently there are import fees too: "Canadian customs clearance for most retail purchases from Amazon.com is done through the Low Value Shipment (LVS) process. Information regarding duties and taxes paid to Revenue Canada is available from the carrier.

The math is confusing. So what does a 20-30 dollars purchase gonna end up costing me? Anybody know from personal experience how costly this is and how the process works? thanks.
3 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12701 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
Which ear plugs are they specifically? If you can find them with the 'free super saver shipping' you won't pay anything if your order is over $25.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
4528 posts
975 upvotes
Kootenays
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2012 12:53 am
Which ear plugs are they specifically? If you can find them with the 'free super saver shipping' you won't pay anything if your order is over $25.
.com doesn't offer free super saver shipping to Canada, only to the US.
Nov 12, 2009
1 posts
I've ordered a kindle cover from amazon.com. It is from a certified seller instead amazon itself. The seller just put the cover into an ordinary envelop and the custom may think it's just a letter, no extra fee charged.

A friend of my bought a puzzle (I don't remember if he find this on amazon, but surely from a certified seller), the seller put "BUSINESS SAMPLE" on the box, no fee charged as well.

So if you buy it directly from amazon, you need to pay for the import fee + province tax. But it's from other sellers, you may be lucky enough to avoid other fees.
× < >