Pets

Anybody have a thundershirt for their dog?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2011 3:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11297 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto

Anybody have a thundershirt for their dog?

The vet recommended this for my dog this other day...cause my dog seems very high strung and overly anxious.

Anyone ever try it? No drugs, no nothing just a funny looking shirt with a little weight that makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside and calms them...

http://www.thundershirt.com/
[removed for signature violation]
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't tried this, but it makes sense to me. I've put my dog's jacket on him during a thunderstorm, and he seemed much calmer. My current dog is a very high energy, high strung sporting breed. She calms down significantly whenever she has a coat on. I suppose it's like they're being swaddled?
Oct 26, 2010
918 posts
1312 upvotes
I think the theory of the jacket makes sense, but I am not sure if it's gonna work .... theory never works 100%, just like lab experiments!

My long hair dog gets more anxious if I take her to grooming and shave the hair off, I think it's a little something inside her that makes her feel more comfortable with a thicker hair for protection.

Why don't you go get her a cheaper jacket from local petstore and see if it works? (Maybe it won't work as well as the thundershirt as it claimed, but see if there's any improvement)
If so, you can order the thundershirt; if not, you can return the jacket at local petstore, so you don't spend money on things that won't workout.
Feb 1, 2011
57 posts
5 upvotes
mikemike192 wrote:
Why don't you go get her a cheaper jacket from local petstore and see if it works? (Maybe it won't work as well as the thundershirt as it claimed, but see if there's any improvement)
If so, you can order the thundershirt; if not, you can return the jacket at local petstore, so you don't spend money on things that won't workout.

it would make a lot more sense to buy the thundershirt and return it to the pet store if it doesn't work.
Oct 26, 2010
918 posts
1312 upvotes
pebbles11 wrote: it would make a lot more sense to buy the thundershirt and return it to the pet store if it doesn't work.

oh ... I thought they only sell it online? I didn't check where to get it in Canada, so I assumed it's not available in Canadian stores, therefore you can't buy/return locally.

Anyhow, if it's available in store, than yeah, go ahead and give it a try.
Feb 1, 2011
57 posts
5 upvotes
mikemike192 wrote: oh ... I thought they only sell it online? I didn't check where to get it in Canada, so I assumed it's not available in Canadian stores, therefore you can't buy/return locally.

Anyhow, if it's available in store, than yeah, go ahead and give it a try.

any good pet store will have them, and they have a money back gaurantee (45 days i think).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I just bought one of these for one of my dogs who has severe anxiety during thunderstorms.

Last night there was an ongoing rumble of thunder. She was hiding in the shower, shaking and whining. When I put it on her she immediately stopped shaking, came out of the bathroom and followed me into the living room. She laid down next to the couch and fell asleep about 5 minutes later. I was shocked. Kept checking to make sure she was still breathing, I was in such shock that it worked so well!
Mar 23, 2004
332 posts
6 upvotes
I believe either some or all of the Global Pet Foods stores sell them. I'm also imagining that a snug coat will also do the same thing. I've heard of some success with that. I personally have tried either method, my dog doesn't care about thunder.
Apr 23, 2009
901 posts
87 upvotes
I got one of these a few weeks ago for our little jack russel. She gets the shakes during thunderstorms and fireworks. It doesn't work at all for thunderstorms, whether we put it on before they start or even during. It worked for fireworks though, which happen a lot at our cottage.

Opinion is up to the individual, may work or may not.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)