Shopping Discussion

Anybody with Samsung hard drive RMA experience?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 21st, 2011 7:02 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
519 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal

Anybody with Samsung hard drive RMA experience?

Looking to see if my crappy experience is normal or what I can do. So my Samsung hard drive died within a year of my owning it. I opened an RMA on their website, and shipped it to HINET systems as instructed by Samsung. Tracking shows that it was received on November 25th by HINET systems. Status page on Samsung website on December 4th said that it wasn't received/nothing has happened yet. On December 5th, Samsung removes the RMA status page, stating only that they have now switched to Seagate for RMA services.

Contacting samsung = no logical reply (try contacting hinet at this email address -- I tell them the email address doesn't work, future queries ignored - f'ing clueless).
Contacting Hinet = no response, even from an email I find that does work. Phone, no answer.

Is it normal that they've had the hard drive for a month and that I'd get zero status updates? Should I just wait or should I start making some phone calls?
5 replies
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
185 upvotes
Gatineau
Took me 8-10 weeks with Western Digital to get a new drive. You have to remember that you are low priority in the whole scheme of things
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
519 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
Was there some kind of status or were you in the dark the whole time? Curious as to whether this is normal. I have heard of some people getting their drives back within 2 weeks.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
1137 posts
192 upvotes
With seagate and WD in the past I've always done the advance replacement option. I only have one samsung drive and hopefully it doesn't give me any problems, but if it does, does samsung have a similar option?
[OP]
Mar 15, 2008
519 posts
114 upvotes
Montreal
No, there was none available in November, though they just switched to Seagate services for RMA so it might be added now. I got caught in the awkward switchover phase.
Jan 4, 2008
773 posts
185 upvotes
Gatineau
Cronzor wrote:
Dec 20th, 2011 9:59 am
Was there some kind of status or were you in the dark the whole time? Curious as to whether this is normal. I have heard of some people getting their drives back within 2 weeks.

Nope no status or anything. Very bottom of the totem pole. I had heard it would take 2 or 3 weeks too, but eventually just bought a new drive for the machine and then when it came used it as a slave