Pets

Anybody use a dog walking service during work hours?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2010 1:00 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes

Anybody use a dog walking service during work hours?

Do any RFD'ers use a dog walking service that comes into your home while you are at work and walks your dog? I'm open to the idea in general, especially on days when I'd know I can't come home at lunch to let the dog out. But I guess I'm a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to allowing a stranger access to my home while I'm not there. I'd also be paranoid that the dog could somehow come off leash and run into traffic. Of course this latter situation could happen when I'm there but my dog is more likely to listen to me and stay put instead of a stranger.

For anyone that employs a dog walker, do you worry about any of the above things? How did you learn to trust someone to come into your home and take charge of your pet?
18 replies
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Get referrals from some of their other customers and make sure they have insurance incase anything happens to your pet.

Ask your friends, post on Craigslist/Kijiji and then check them out.

Maybe have them meet your dog and see how they react as well.

Ask the 'dogwalker' a lot of questions and make yourself secure with their answers.

There's only so much you can do, you have to have some amount of trust.

A walk during the day is a good thing for your dog.

There's always doggie daycare if you're not happy having someone come in.....

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
Lucky Ducky has good points. I've used a dog walker in the past with happy results. This is what I found:

1. Find a business that is insured and bonded for home protection purposes but also should something go wrong while your dog is in a walker's care.

2. Meet with the assigned dog walker and/or service owner at your home. See how the walker interacts with your dog and ask her/him about her/his petcare/dog walking experience (years and frequency). Many are first aid certified which is comforting to know but not necessary per se. You'll need to cut an extra key for the walker. She'll put the dog's name on it not yours.

3. Explain in detail what you would like to see happen with each visit. Example, a feeding before a walk or administering any prescribed medication. Show her where the leash/harness is kept (keep it close to the entrance), food, biscuits if you'd like your dog to have a few after a walk, food/water bowls and poop bags. If your dog likes to socialize with other dogs, don't hesitate to ask for your dog to be taken to an off-leash park for a good romp if that's what you would like, even if only once in a while.

4. A good service will automatically bring in your mail with each visit.

5. Have a note pad available for the walker to write on with each visit about how it went and whether your dog took care of business. This is your proof that the walker showed up.

If you can manage to have your dog walked even a few/several times a week, I can't tell you enough how much happier your dog will be when he greets you on return from work. These little creatures know when they are being walked during the day. Instinctively, they wait at the door long before their walker arrives for their walk. They are soooo excited and you will be too knowing they are happier.

You want a walker you can trust to do the full walk and not shortchange your dog by returning him home early or showing up to let him out to do his business and leave. I've heard of some that have done this. The only way to know for sure is to have a neighbour clock her arrival and return of the dog a few times but I don't know if you want to do that.

Good dog walkers love dogs and other animals and many do it full-time. Those are your safest bet. If you find one you like, chances are you'll even want to board your dog with her overnight.

With all of this said, I'm sure a young responsible teen or someone you know in the neighbourhood would be more than happy to do this for you over Summer and you could always resume with the walking with a service in the Fall if you had to.

Good luck! I love dog walkers. They are important people to our dogs and us, I think. :)
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. - Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6759 posts
1499 upvotes
Lucky Ducky wrote:
Get referrals from some of their other customers and make sure they have insurance incase anything happens to your pet.
okaywithme wrote:

1. Find a business that is insured and bonded for home protection purposes but also should something go wrong while your dog is in a walker's care.
Even, considering what could happen is almost enough to scare me off from the whole idea.

okaywithme, you mention some good points. It comes down to finding someone who is serious about the job, loves dogs and is trustworthy. I guess I shouldn't know it till I've tried it, but it almost sounds too good to be true. I also like the idea of finding someone who walks dogs but may also board them from time to time.

If anyone knows of any dog walkers/boarders in the Vaughan or Richmond Hill area that they swear by, please post here.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Even, considering what could happen is almost enough to scare me off from the whole idea.

okaywithme, you mention some good points. It comes down to finding someone who is serious about the job, loves dogs and is trustworthy. I guess I shouldn't know it till I've tried it, but it almost sounds too good to be true. I also like the idea of finding someone who walks dogs but may also board them from time to time.

If anyone knows of any dog walkers/boarders in the Vaughan or Richmond Hill area that they swear by, please post here.

Thanks.
I understand your concerns. Don't feel alarmed though. Many people are uncomfortable with strangers going into their homes and your pooch is a little one and easier to manage than a larger dog that pulls and could wiggle its way out of a walker's control.

You could try it a few times to get a feel of the business/walker. When I was looking, the owners of the petcare businesses all loved dogs. You just want to be sure those walking for them also feel the same way. Just ask alot of pointed questions like, do you own a dog, how many, what kind and where do you exercise it ...that sort of thing. Ask about the other types of dogs they walk ...and take it from there. You'll know if you're comfortable.
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it. - Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
I couldn't keep my dog without my walker, so they're absolutely essential to me. It's costly, but with a high energy dog, I don't feel good having her sit at home for 10 hours while I'm at work.

Her schedule is now: 1-1.5 run or fetch in the morning with me - 4-5 rest at home - 1 hour park, ravine, beach off leash time with the walker, with 2-3 hours travel time with the walker; short wait until I'm home, and a late night walk or park trip.

You do have to make a blind leap at the beginning, but I would try by visiting local dog parks and chatting with other owners for recommendations. If you're downtown, there's a ton of reliable, good walkers. In your area, I don't know, but I would imagine it's a lot longer of a drive for them to pick up their crew.

After a few walks, your walker won't be a stranger. He or she will become as much a part of their lives as you are, and they'll probably even be better behaved with them.
Feb 22, 2007
139 posts
13 upvotes
You can also try setting up a webcam feed in your house that you can view on the internet while at work. That way you know the walker came and actually took the dog out, and the amount of time they were gone.

I have the same reservations as you do about hiring a dog walker. Thanks for bringing up the idea and good suggestions from all the posters so far!
May 6, 2005
908 posts
46 upvotes
I have a dog walker.
There is both good and bad to consider.
We fired the first one because we found out he was lying about the time he actually walked our dog. (We were paying for a half hour and getting between five and ten minutes). We only verified this after learning from neighbours about his walks and then doing our own spot check/stake out. (a day sick at home with the car in the garage).

But our second walker is great. We have informed her how we were burnt once and she could be subject to spot checks.

Now about the security aspect. Yes, at first you are bringing a stranger into your house, but I also feel that I'm getting a live person checking my home, their car is in my driveway, they can call me if my dog is sick, or if a pipe burst, or by their presence potentially deter thieves, etc. We've come to trust our dog walker and my dog's life is dramatically better because of it (I feel).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
huskylord wrote: I have a dog walker.
There is both good and bad to consider.
We fired the first one because we found out he was lying about the time he actually walked our dog. (We were paying for a half hour and getting between five and ten minutes). We only verified this after learning from neighbours about his walks and then doing our own spot check/stake out. (a day sick at home with the car in the garage).

But our second walker is great. We have informed her how we were burnt once and she could be subject to spot checks.

Now about the security aspect. Yes, at first you are bringing a stranger into your house, but I also feel that I'm getting a live person checking my home, their car is in my driveway, they can call me if my dog is sick, or if a pipe burst, or by their presence potentially deter thieves, etc. We've come to trust our dog walker and my dog's life is dramatically better because of it (I feel).
For those of you who have hired one, what were you paying (if you dont mind the question?)
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
May 6, 2005
908 posts
46 upvotes
I pay $15 for a half hour private walk (this is based on her being used 3x a week). My dad and father-law split the Monday and Friday sessions.
It would cheaper if I used her more often, and if my dog did the group off-leash thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
EmperorOfCanada wrote: For those of you who have hired one, what were you paying (if you dont mind the question?)
Private walk, $20 + GST for 40-50 mins. plus $10 extra + GST for my second dog. This was over 3 years ago.

There are many offering lower and higer rates, also depending on the length of time set for the walk. If opting for a group walk (several dogs at the same time), the cost is lower.

If you're interested in rates for walks or other services by these businesses, google the many dog walking/petcare services available in your area. Most post their rates.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
okaywithme wrote: Private walk, $20 + GST for 40-50 mins. plus $10 extra + GST for my second dog....
Plus GST? You mean they make over $30,000 a year? I think I'm in the wrong business...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
jackie999 wrote: Plus GST? You mean they make over $30,000 a year? I think I'm in the wrong business...
LOL...... The ones that concentrate on dogwalking mostly really do/can make alot of money. Dogwalking is a booming business because there's such a demand for it. And from what I could tell with my neighbourhood alone, just about every other home owns at least one dog. Two and even three dog homes have become more popular over the years as well.

But I suspect with more and more walkers starting up their own business and offering competitive prices, you have to wonder how each are doing today. I know of one in particular that I was told has the most dogwalking clients in all of Ontario. She services Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville and Burlington and maybe east as well by now.

I guess it would also depend on how far they're willing to expand their business as to how profitable it can be. But definitely many earning over $30,000. Good client service and word of mouth is the best form of advertising in this business I think and the internet is as well.

Not bad eh! :)

The tradeoff I think is having to drive and then walk in all weather conditions regardless of any torrential downpour, icy weather conditions, blowing snow etc. I always told my walker to not bother coming if the weather was bad but I know business owners expect their walkers to go to client homes regardless if only to let the dog out to do its business.

Heck, I could easily take up dogwalking at this stage of my life. I wouldn't want to own a business per se but certainly the walking would do me good. Spending more time with dogs which I love and playing with them I think would be quite enjoyable. Many middle aged people and seniors are occasional and full-time dogwalkers. It's all good! :)
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2004
1897 posts
227 upvotes
Dieppe, NB
Anyone who is looking for a professional dog walker for their area, please check out:

The Professional Dog Walkers Association International

All members follow a professional code of ethics, proper certification and most be insured.

I know several members who have done a great job of caring for pets.

If anyone needs to have their dog trained, or walked in the Markham area, I highly recommend Andrea Sim of The Polite Pooch
Deal Expert
May 8, 2005
31836 posts
1354 upvotes
amz155 wrote: Even, considering what could happen is almost enough to scare me off from the whole idea.
What are you afraid of exactly ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
Here's my loose math. Toronto has a six dog limit. They can usually manage 2 pack 1hr long walks/park sessions a day. The rest of the day is spent in transit. Say they charge $18/dog (my dog walker's rate for 1hr park run). That's $216. Say they get a few privates in a day, and their take is $250/day. That makes $5000 gross/month, 60K a year. That is a very optimistic figure.

Minus expenses: Insurance (most reputable walkers are bonded), car expense and insurance, supplies (leashes, cookies, etc.), and you're probably looking somewhere around $45000 before taxes, best case scenario (probably won't be able to get that consistent 12 dog days).

Still not bad, I guess, but not an easy job, I tell you ...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
Amz155, don't limit your search by choosing a walker who is working for a business that is a member of the Professional Dogwalkers Association International. I know of many businesses southwest Toronto that are NOT members of that Association. It certainly does not make a walker or a dog walking business remotely less credible because it chooses not to be a member of that Association.

In fact, all but a 'few' dog walking businesses in Ontario alone are not members of that Association. I'm in close contact with the owners of two in Oakville alone who are very successful and neither are members of that Association. I also speak with a number of dog walkers regularly at the park who work for dog walking businesses that do not bother with them.

The woman I speak of with the largest dogwalking business in Ontario is NOT a member of that Association and she's been around for many years, at least 15. My vet alone refers several petcare businesses he has very good relations with to his patient owners and they too are not members of that Association.

Google your options for starters. Do your due diligence when you speak with them and you'll be fine. Dog walking is not a science, more of reliability, accountability, commitment, trust, love for dogs and preferably someone who is fit to walk for a good part of the day. You should choose a business that is insured and all walkers bonded though. Being bonded includes that walkers CANNOT have a criminal record.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2004
1897 posts
227 upvotes
Dieppe, NB
Most people who hire dog walkers don't care about certifications, professional associations or backgrounds for that matter.

Most people will hire "professional" walkers based solely on referral and recommendations from friends/family/etc. and ultimately price is a big factor in the final decision.

Ask the potential walkers (interview at least three different ones) and compare their services, and assuming each is insured & bonded, call the insurance company to verify their policy coverage are valid and up-to-date. Find out if they cover loss/stolen pets, injuries and attacks on other people/dogs.

There are too many people who provide false credentials and documentation, so please do the extra steps to ensure your experience is positive and of course safe for your dog.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2010
1943 posts
31 upvotes
milhaus wrote: Here's my loose math. Toronto has a six dog limit. They can usually manage 2 pack 1hr long walks/park sessions a day. The rest of the day is spent in transit. Say they charge $18/dog (my dog walker's rate for 1hr park run). That's $216. Say they get a few privates in a day, and their take is $250/day. That makes $5000 gross/month, 60K a year. That is a very optimistic figure.

Minus expenses: Insurance (most reputable walkers are bonded), car expense and insurance, supplies (leashes, cookies, etc.), and you're probably looking somewhere around $45000 before taxes, best case scenario (probably won't be able to get that consistent 12 dog days).

Still not bad, I guess, but not an easy job, I tell you ...
I think dog walkers are special people. I think the petcare business is one of the best businesses that ever came into existence. There will always be a need for their help I think.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)