Cell Phones

Anyone buy a phone from toronto.cellular on ebay?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2018 7:01 pm
Tags:
Nov 17, 2016
234 posts
154 upvotes
dandufeu - Thanks for sharing this. Previously I bought phones just from US sellers, but my last experience with "Global Shippment Program" was not "happy", so I now wanted to buy from local sellers. I followed "toronto.cellular" for some time and was ready to buy iPhone, but changed my mind after reading full info about your experience. This looks very much like setup - sell phone without original charger and then blame all issues on using charger with different brand. I did not know that eBay would not help with issues like that, I was assuming that they would, but I never had any problems so far myself. But after reading your experience I am not willing to risk.
Nov 21, 2005
6 posts
42 upvotes
Victoria
Gee wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 7:21 pm
@dandufeu

What phone did you buy?
Samsung Galaxy S7. When I received it, I found out it was likely a Verizon refurb. That part didn't bother me.
May 8, 2009
6779 posts
2960 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
dandufeu wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2017 12:30 am
Samsung Galaxy S7. When I received it, I found out it was likely a Verizon refurb. That part didn't bother me.
Being a Verizon phone could make LTE connectivity in Canada less awesome. As long as the needed LTE bands are there, then it's all good.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Sep 11, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Bought a Lg G5 from these guys. Absolutely a horrible experience. Arrived quickly but turned out to be a Verizon phone so no LTE on Rogers. When I contacted them about it they said the model number was shown in the Ebay listing. I thought ok, my mistake, like the phone so I can live without LTE. I just rechecked the listing and found the model number is not listed at all. So they lied to me. I noticed in the first week that the main 16Mb camera was taking blurry photos. Thought it was something I had wrong in the settings. Didn't have time to read through the manual. Came back from Holidays taking photos with the wide angle camera only. During the Holiday I dropped the phone about 6 inches onto a table. there were no marks on the phone from the drop. After reading the manual and doing some research, I found that there was a fault in the focus mechanism for the main camera. Seems lots of people have had this problem, only fix is to replace the camera module. I contacted the seller and they wanted me to tell them when I first noticed the problem and if I ever dropped the phone. As soon as they found out I had dropped the phone they claimed there was no warranty. It didn't matter that the phone was dropped after I discovered the problem. There were many messages back and forth where they accused me of lying about the sequence of events. Finally I tried to explain to them about the horrible Customer Service they were providing and how they could still fix the problem by perhaps offering to fix the phone or even split the cost with me. The camera module is only $18 from AliExpress. The last message from them was that they would "pay the $18 if I would quit complaining". I have been on EBay for 14 years and have 100% feedback on almost 100 transactions so the problem isnt me.
Feb 28, 2005
59 posts
7 upvotes
I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I bought a refurbished Samsung S7 that has a faint yellow burn image on all screens (ie. burned out). I have requested a return.
Nov 2, 2015
4 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For the last week I have been trying to decide whether to buy from that seller, he had 100% but something didn't seem right, very few reviews for the S7 that I was buying. The condition wasn't very clearly described so I sent a message asking if there were noticable scratches on the screen. I got no response and today I thought I would just risk it and buy it only to find I had been blocked by him. Took me completely by surprise as I have never bought anything from him and, while I have not bought a lot, I have never had a negative experience or not paid promptly on ebay.

Finding this thread shows that I guess he saved me from a big disappointment.

I also noticed negative feedback from yesterday on his account disappeared today...
Nov 2, 2015
4 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
On that note, I have gotten a bit spooked in terms of buying from ebay but with a rather tight budget I don't see many other options.

What are the best places to buy discounted phones for Canada? BH?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2013
4837 posts
1030 upvotes
Manila, Philippines
awestruck wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 8:27 am
I'm looking to get a phone from toronto.cellular on ebay. They sell phones 'out of retail' packaging and specialize in oem cellphone sales. Feedback looks good, just want to see if anyone here has first hand experience with this seller.

http://www.ebay.ca/usr/toronto.cellular ... 7675.l2559

Thanks
Beware of buying cellphone in any online store, risk is always high. I used to to buy & sell phone due to blacklist issue I stop.

Freedom Mobile

Sep 21, 2017
3 posts
I bought an S7 2 months ago from these guys. Works great and brand new. But At&t phone so no OS updates unless i'm on the at&t network with an active at&t sim. Ok if you plan to root the phone. Compatible Fido BYOP
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8721 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto
lesson learned here, don't buy from ebay.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Mar 31, 2015
123 posts
38 upvotes
New Westminster, BC
I bought an s7 from them a couple weeks ago. They ship just the phone, and it was in pretty good shape. However I could not add an APN and therefore could not use data on it. Contacted them and I sent it back to get fixed. When it came back it, I was able to add an APN but it I had to reset the settings to default and once again I could not add an APN. They said just to send it back for a refund as they just want to "Move on from this situation". I suppose it could be worse.
Sep 25, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto.cellular is a big sham. I also realized it the unfortunate way that seller ratings on EBay are a great eye wash.

I bought an LG G4 advertised as brand new, unopened, UNDER warranty from toronto.cellular on ebay.
Day 1, the phone would not charge normally - would discharge at 4 X the rate of charging. 5 weeks later, it suddenly died and would constantly reboot. Seller insisted on contacting LG for warranty, would not issue a refund and as things turned out to be, LG confirms this phone was never under warranty. The seller is making a mockery of many ebay buyers. Contacted Ebay , it would not bother to notice for the seller brings so much volume.

Be aware that eBay actually prevents a buyer from providing feedback on a seller when you open a dispute/case. I find this a little disturbing since I relied on the high ratings from other buyers before the purchase... now I'm finding out that the 100% rating for toronto.cellular may not mean a whole lot. There could be many unsatisfactory disputes for sellers with 100% ratings.

Just use Amazon or go local.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
3858 posts
1334 upvotes
what about wireless.canada? that's another ebay.ca seller that has a lot of high reviews too like toronto.cellular.

My experience with them is bad so far. bought a seller refurbished S5 for $115, and it was in TERRIBLE shape. will be returning it and I won't accept 10% restock fee nor pay for return shipping.

I'm trying one more time for S7 edge, but manufacturer refurbished this time. hopefully they'll be easy to deal with in regards to returning the S5 for free since I bought another phone from them.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1291 posts
29 upvotes
trinxified wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 4:57 am
what about wireless.canada? that's another ebay.ca seller that has a lot of high reviews too like toronto.cellular.

My experience with them is bad so far. bought a seller refurbished S5 for $115, and it was in TERRIBLE shape. will be returning it and I won't accept 10% restock fee nor pay for return shipping.

I'm trying one more time for S7 edge, but manufacturer refurbished this time. hopefully they'll be easy to deal with in regards to returning the S5 for free since I bought another phone from them.
curious to know if you have actually bought the refurb S7 edge, how is it ?
2005 Toyota Sienna CE (DO NOT BUY - CLICK HERE)