Cell Phones

Anyone buy a phone from toronto.cellular on ebay?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 9:14 am
Tags:
Feb 11, 2011
4 posts
7 upvotes
Mississauga
I tried to buy and was denied access, because I asked too many questions.
See below:
New message to: toronto.cellular
If a phone is refurbished, what does that mean? Is this a used phone?
Does it have a new battery or the original?
For example, if I buy a Samsing note 5,am I getting a three year old battery that may not have much of a life left

New message to: toronto.cellular
I am trying to purchase a Samsung Note4and you are not accepting. My credit is good. I have never purchased from you before.
Please explain

New message from: toronto.cellular (16,076)
Hi. The kind of questions that are being asked by us leave me to believe that there may be a possible return from you. So we feel like it's best you do business with another seller. Thank you very much all the best

Makes one wonder regarding the quality of their products. If they are worried about returns, then there has to be issues with their products.
Jun 3, 2012
477 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough
He just got back to me on my issue above saying I can send my S7 back in for an exchange. But after reading posts above, I'm concerned he might keep the phone and my money. Any advice on whether I should send phone in for an exchange or just go straight through credit card company?
Nov 24, 2017
1 posts
2 upvotes
airmax95 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 4:05 pm
He just got back to me on my issue above saying I can send my S7 back in for an exchange. But after reading posts above, I'm concerned he might keep the phone and my money. Any advice on whether I should send phone in for an exchange or just go straight through credit card company?

I found your original post through google. I am having the EXACT same issue as you with my S7 purchased from this seller with noise/feedback occurring on the recipient end. After messaging the seller, he is extremely defensive and has closed my refund despite the 60 day return policy. Not sure how to proceed at this point.

---

TO EVERYONE READING:

PLEASE AVOID THIS SELLER. Yes, the relatively low price is tempting - however, the phone likely has issues and you will be stuck with it.
Dec 19, 2017
1 posts
2 upvotes
I bought samsung s7 on Nov12 I took to three mobile carriers and sim card did not work. Then l took to a mobile store in Ajax andsaid this phone is blacklisted because it was stolen. I took to another store and same answer. Today i took to a third store and also same answer. I asked Ebay for return but said my return window is closed. Do not buy any phone from this seller
Dec 22, 2017
1 posts
5 upvotes
I purchased a Samsung S7 from toronto cellular in October 2017. The phone (a Verizon resell) was in fine physical shape and worked well at first, so I gave positive feedback. After two months the phone suddenly stops getting cell service and it turns out to be blacklisted as lost or stolen. Response of toronto.cellular in short: didn't know, not my problem, you can't prove anything. So much for the customer service of toronto.cellular. The phone no longer accepts a SIM card but because it is past the 30 day warranty period eBay rejected my return request.

What seems to be happening is that this phone and others have bad IMEI numbers (maybe because of unpaid accounts), but don't get blacklisted within the first 30 days. Consequently toronto.cellular gets away with peddling them on eBay and actually receives good feedback to boot. I believe that both eBay and toronto cellular are well aware of this little scam and are profiting from it. In fairness I should add that I've bought lots of things on eBay in the past (including cell phones and even a car) without any problem. This is the first time I've been burned.

Lessons: Avoid toronto cellular. Don't take eBay's seller ratings at face value. Be aware that in spite of appearances you could be buying a cell phone that in a few months will suddenly be blacklisted as lost or stolen.
Dec 26, 2017
1 posts
3 upvotes
DO NOT BY A PHONE FROM THIS PLACE!! Same thing happened to me as fearlessConsumer.

We had bought two phones and all seemed to be good. Service was awful, recipients would hear an echo and calls would drop all the time. I contacted them after the 30 day period and was denied - fair enough - but would not honour their 90 day warranty policy. They were very rude and did not want to help. Got very defensive.

They trick you buy telling you the MPN (Which is a verizon network) but the photo shown does not show it is verizon. Beware of the network!

They have also stopped replying to me as I asked about my 90 day warranty. Since then, they have changed it to 30 days and have not replied to me.
Jun 3, 2012
477 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough
Has anyone else been affected by this seller? Is there any way that folks can band together for recourse? (e.g. filing a collective complaint to Toronto police or ebay?) It's not fair to us and future buyers that he is able to sell defective and stolen phones on a mass scale.
Dec 10, 2011
76 posts
62 upvotes
I tend to think that I have the same issue. Purchased a "refurbished" S6 a couple of weeks ago, received the phone with deep screen scratches and a large crack on the back cover. Sent him a message, received no answer, so I opened a case against him...but surprise: after a couple of hours I receive a message that the seller opened a case against me LOL. Ebay sends me a second message to send the phone back which I did. The address that I have received is a PO box, but what worries me is the fact that I have sent the item on December 28th using Xpresspost Parcel which should take only a day to get from Montreal to Toronto, but I can't see any updates since the item was shipped... so I guess I got screwed. I sent an email to Canada Post and waiting an answer. I will post an update if something happens.
Last edited by molie2403 on Jan 2nd, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 10, 2011
76 posts
62 upvotes
Quick update...I have received the confirmation that the buyer accepted the phone back and now waiting for the PayPal refund. Worst part is that I can't leave feedback for the buyer, so he will still continue to have 100% rating.

Conclusion: AVOID toronto.cellular ! Unprofessional and unreliable .
Dec 10, 2011
76 posts
62 upvotes
I left the user negative feedback and by magic it disappeared this morning... I start to doubt the ebay rating system.
Jun 3, 2012
477 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough
The crooked ebay rating system is the reason why many of us have been duped by him. We purchased from him assuming he had a perfect rating only to find out later that he sells bad phones and is able to game ebay. If anyone can think of a way to take him down, I would be willing to lead the charge. It is bad enough that he has scammed several of us but I can only imagine the hundreds/thousands (??) of people he has scammed and will continue to unless things change.

Should we collectively submit a complaint to ebay? Another idea is to band together and submit a complaint to Toronto police (but we would need info on his name, home address, etc). Post here or PM me if you have ideas/info that would be helpful.
Jan 10, 2018
1 posts
2 upvotes
toronto.cellular on ebay are scammers, do not trust. Half of their items are fraudulent, can't trust ebay self-ratings. When I didn't receive my phone I contacted ebay then toronto.cellular, and they wouldn't give me a refund just because I contacted ebay before them and they said they were afraid of a negative rating. They don't care about customers, only money and their ratings. Do not trust the scam that is toronto.cellular
Jun 3, 2012
477 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough
I took the Samsung S7 I bought from him to a local repair shop and they confirmed he sells defective phones with aftermarket parts. I am following up with ebay and am providing them with proof that he is defrauding buyers by lying about the status of the phones. The IMEI on the phones do not even match which proves the phones are not new. I will see what I can do so that ebay can handle this seller.
Jun 3, 2012
477 posts
151 upvotes
Scarborough
Would anyone happen to have the seller's name and home address? If so, please PM me with the details.