Shopping Discussion

Is anyone clear on HD price match policies ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 5:48 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
895 posts
135 upvotes

Is anyone clear on HD price match policies ?

And bonus question - does anyone know how to escalate / complain about manager at particular store ?

HD.ca says clearly that HD will price match item that would get shipped to your door. I went in yesterday to get an 799 item for 495 but I was told they don't match other province's prices...which is not what their policy states. I talked to manager and she also repeated the same thing. So what's actual policy then ? They will pm Amazon, although Amazon is shipping from who knows where and is definitively not a local competitor (having a store in Calgary). At the end of the day, I purchased the item for $50 more and I am actually glad I helped a smaller player to make a sale (item listed @699 and it has 150 off) but the fact these clowns are advertising a policy they are clearly breaching is what makes me upset.

So how to escalate it up the ladder to a regional manager or something like that ? Their customer service number is garbage for this particular purpose.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12672 posts
2220 upvotes
Markham
for Amazon, Stores that price match Amazon, only price match to items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.ca
Not the ones sold by 3rd party.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
895 posts
135 upvotes
Keigotw wrote:
Jun 12th, 2018 4:01 pm
for Amazon, Stores that price match Amazon, only price match to items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.ca
Not the ones sold by 3rd party.
I wanted to price match Mississauga hardware. They wouldn't even consider it even though MH shipped the product to my house and their policy states they will match a product if it ships to me.

What Products Qualify for Our Price Guarantee?
  • In-stock products, available for sale at a competitor and at The Home Depot
  • Online competitor products that can be shipped to your location

Same saw is available in both location
same saw is being shipped to my location.

Am I not understanding it properly since there is no localized exceptions mentioned ?
Mar 7, 2017
389 posts
107 upvotes
Ham, ON
I had a similar discussion, and then argument with a Home Depot rep & Manager in the Ancaster store about a year ago.
There was a Bosch table saw for sale in Mississauga (not at a HD) for $550, the Amazon price was $629 and the HD price was inflated to $799 (it was 699 there the previous week, but the "sale" ended).

She told me she couldn't price match because the store wasn't "local" to where we were (=~ 50 minutes away). She said it had to be in the same city, which I asked her to show me where that clause was in the policy that was written on the wall behind her head, and she just reassured me it was their policy, even though it was nowhere to be found in writing. I even showed her the store in Mississauga was able to ship it to my door for free and she still refused to price match it.
I escalated it because I knew this was wrong, and the general manager called me back the next day and offered to sell it to me for $600... lol wut?
I gave up trying at the Ancaster store because it was apparent they were not going to budge, neglecting their very clearly written policy. I told the GM I would not shop there anymore and he was fine with that.

I work in Mississauga, but was carpooling with someone at the time so it was an inconvenient, but arranged to go by one of the Home Depots near my work during lunch one day. When I got there, I mentioned the store, their price, and showed them that they had it in stock, and he said no problem, adjusted the price, got a managers password for approval, and took my card. There wasn't anyone in line behind me so I stayed to explain the guy what I had been though before, and he said "that's weird, we price match them all the time". So that was it. I don't shop in the Ancaster store anymore, and if I need anything major, I buy it in Mississauga.

They should be held accountable to either update their policies or honour these PM's because they are well within their publically available PM policy. Complete BS imo.
Mar 7, 2008
72 posts
6 upvotes
Just called, and know homedepot do NOT price match with CAS (canadian appliance source)

They should write it clearly on their website so that people do NOT waste time to call them.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
895 posts
135 upvotes
I literally posted question yesterday in this very same forum if anyone knows what is their internal pm policy.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
895 posts
135 upvotes
DealFixation wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 4:54 pm
I had a similar discussion...
... Complete BS imo.
Pretty much we had the same experience except I live in AB and I was looking at Bosch Mitre saw vs table saw. Price at hd 799, price in Miss Hw 700 - 149 off. But story is the same, localized and district price match vs whats clearly written and presented to public. I was told they would pm alberta pricing because they were nice :).
I think everyone should be tweeting and calling them out publicly.
Deal Guru
Mar 25, 2003
12672 posts
2220 upvotes
Markham
mouseswimming wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:29 pm
Just called, and know homedepot do NOT price match with CAS (canadian appliance source)

They should write it clearly on their website so that people do NOT waste time to call them.
Avoid CAS any-experience-canadian-appliance-source-2134474/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2303 posts
1250 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
mouseswimming wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 10:29 pm

Firstly, yay for you calling them. Amazing how many people don't bother.

Now, as for whether they should list names of each and every company they may and may not match - that would be impossible and unrealistic.

They let you know they will price match, subject to certain conditions. You picked up the phone and asked (yay, again) - it's not as if you flew across the country to visit the store in person.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
895 posts
135 upvotes
ALLCAPS wrote:
Jun 14th, 2018 1:58 am
Firstly, yay for you calling them. Amazing how many people don't bother.

Now, as for whether they should list names of each and every company they may and may not match - that would be impossible and unrealistic.

They let you know they will price match, subject to certain conditions. You picked up the phone and asked (yay, again) - it's not as if you flew across the country to visit the store in person.
But they are clearly matching ONLY local retailers. And public policy states they will match if your goods will be shipped to your home.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5622 posts
3200 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally, I don’t price match (however my SO has been known to do so)
My reasoning is this:
Cause over the years I have seen too many Retailers skuttle out of their own commitment to do so
It’s a PITA to do... and tends to cause an inconvenience to others in line at the cash
Only time, I will stand my ground, risk that whole scene... is when the price that comes on the cash does not match either the stores flyer advertised price, or the one at the shelf
Then I care... cause I made a trip to this store, and picked up that item to buy based on that info

I shop around for the best price on anything I want to buy
Tons easier to do since the Internet
Especially with Apps like Flipp etc

I then CHOOSE TO take my business ... on line or in person to the store with the combination of best price, quality, customer service, warranty etc

Surprisingly, often enough it’s local, or the little guy

And often while there, I will pick up other items that are on sale, or I need etc

I don’t see the need to take all my business to one store
Especially not one BIG BOX Store
Who is dominating the marketplace to begin with
Even though it might be “convenient” to do so

If we all go to just one store all the time...
Then Canada will turn into middle America ... the Walmart State
Where everything else is gone, and Walmart now makes ALL THE RULES
Be it their supply chain, pricing, hiring practices, working situation, or even public policy
When you are the ONLY Retailer in town... you change the whole landscape

And the sad part... those who are living with this situation
Literally gave it to Walmart on a silver platter
Cause it was convenient
You bargain with the bully on their terms... and you end up with just them to answer to

You all want price competition... then you got to keep / encourage diversity in the marketplace
Cause the price of convenience... might just turn out to be inconveniently high over the long run

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)