None
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada

Anyone Cut Their Own Hair?

Damn, I've always wanted to shave my head and on a whim tonight, I dropped by Wally's after work and picked up a shaver for $20. Results aren't too bad. Shaved with a #8 then wasn't pleased and went to #3 and finally #2 since #3 left some irregularities. Took about 20 minutes. Better than paying someone $12-15 to do the same.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
42 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
1284 posts
252 upvotes
Toronto
LOL funny enough I just shaved my head 15 mins ago..

I use a 2. I go over my head like 5 times to make sure I don't miss Any hairs..

Easiest way to do it is stand in bathtub and take a shower directly after
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9648 posts
1858 upvotes
Toronto
I've cut my own hair for years now.... saved alot of $$.. rfd style. :D
Oct 24, 2005
924 posts
179 upvotes
All you really need is a bowl and a pair of scissors and you get a great haircut every time.
2006 - Pepsi/Frito Lay Win Every Hour Contest - 1279 Entries - Loser!
[OP]
Banned
May 5, 2005
13286 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
blarg wrote:
Apr 28th, 2009 11:50 pm
Me too, but I don't even use a shaver. All you really need is a bowl and a pair of scissors and you have an A+ haircut right there.
Despite what you may think, the joke's on you. It's not that hard. I might grow it back and may visit the barber again for trims but for the summer, it's going to be a #2 once a month.
Joe Zawinul
1932 - 2007
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18632 posts
2033 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I have my own shaver as I was really annoyed paying people $15 + tip for a 2 min hair cut. I barely have any hair. However I'm horrible at getting the hear around my ears and side burns. So I usually go to regular barber every 4th hair cut.

I used to always go to a barber school in T.O. where hair cuts were like $7.00 or something. The I didn't mind paying, but now that I don't live there its just too expensive for what needs to be done to my receding hairline.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2002
11973 posts
276 upvotes
My wife started cutting my hair when we lived in Vienna. There are no $12 Magicuts there....I was paying $40 every couple of weeks to keep my hair cut.

So we bought a clipper, she did a meh job a couple of times while learning, and is now a pro - she does our two sons' hair as well....but I suspect she won't do our daughter's hair. (She also won't let me cut hers....I cannot imagine why)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18632 posts
2033 upvotes
Niagara Falls
deep wrote:
Apr 29th, 2009 12:04 am
My wife started cutting my hair when we lived in Vienna. There are no $12 Magicuts there....I was paying $40 every couple of weeks to keep my hair cut.

So we bought a clipper, she did a meh job a couple of times while learning, and is now a pro - she does our two sons' hair as well....but I suspect she won't do our daughter's hair. (She also won't let me cut hers....I cannot imagine why)
lol. My fiancee says the same thing. I can't fathom how it takes hours to cut her hair. I always tell her to just put it in a pony tail and it'll take me 10 seconds.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2808 posts
23 upvotes
I cut my hair ONLY because no barber I tend to knows how to cut my hair the way I WANT!!!!

you pay them $40 and walk home sad, so I say !@#$ it, than I start learning how to cut my own hair, been doing that for almost 10 yrs now, always looks good
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
4flava wrote:
Apr 28th, 2009 11:45 pm
I've cut my own hair for years now.... saved alot of $$.. rfd style. :D
+1 You can say that again!
I usually got $10 hair cuts 4 times per year. Now, I cut my hair every month minus the $10 to the barber :cheesygri
Raead wrote:
Apr 29th, 2009 12:11 am
I cut my hair ONLY because no barber I tend to knows how to cut my hair the way I WANT!!!!

you pay them $40 and walk home sad, so I say !@#$ it, than I start learning how to cut my own hair, been doing that for almost 10 yrs now, always looks good
Definately!
I used to always adjust my hair after coming home from the barber because something was always wrong. Now, I just do it myself...and if I mess up, I just shave it all off :cheesygri
And my gf likes it, my friends can't tell, so it is all good
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2175 posts
219 upvotes
I guess I am fortunate to have a wife that is in this profession so I get my hair cut anytime I want. When I was in high school, my best friend and I bought a set of clippers and we use to help each other shave our heads. Saved lots of money and blew it on the arcades playing SF2 :razz:
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
3153 posts
23 upvotes
It takes me about 12-15 minutes getting my buzz-cut (which is what I've gotten two times in a row now) or maybe it just felt long...is it easy as just plowing through your hair with a razor?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
Jay Hova wrote:
Apr 29th, 2009 12:54 am
It takes me about 12-15 minutes getting my buzz-cut (which is what I've gotten two times in a row now) or maybe it just felt long...is it easy as just plowing through your hair with a razor?
Yup
It takes a good 10 minutes to make sure you cut all the hair off and that you don't have any spots / splotches of hair

Usually takes me 10 minutes to buzz it down, 20 minutes to get the collegiate cut, and I did a faux-hawk once and it turned out well (but took over 30 minutes)
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17440 posts
1629 upvotes
Woodbridge
#2?!?!

Why not just use Gillette Mach3 Turbo.
deep wrote:
Apr 29th, 2009 12:04 am

LOL

Very smart.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Feb 13, 2004
812 posts
149 upvotes
Montreal
Been cutting my hair for 9 years now. At $20/month I have saved $2,160 :)

It's not always perfect, especially in the back and the sideburns (btw does anyone have any tips on this?) but it sure beats paying $20 a month and the hassle of going to the barber, waiting around, making small talk e.t.c.