Anyone Cut Their Own Hair?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2018 12:27 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 20, 2008
265 posts
44 upvotes
How would you trim your back, don't think holding a mirror in one hand and a razor in another would work out too well. :confused:

Then again I might try growing my hair out so that just trimming the edges would be easier.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
yaguang wrote:
Apr 29th, 2009 2:52 am
How would you trim your back, don't think holding a mirror in one hand and a razor in another would work out too well. :confused:

Then again I might try growing my hair out so that just trimming the edges would be easier.
I usually use the razor to shave it, then I put it down and look at it with a mirror.
But after a while, you get a sense of how long it feels, and you can use your hands to judge if it is the correct length
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1298 posts
1122 upvotes
My mom has been cutting her own hair and cutting mine ever since I was a child.
My boyfriend has also shaved or trimmed his own hair, or I've done it for him.

If you want something simple, clean looking, sure is easy.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2006
4556 posts
68 upvotes
Oakville
Ya its pretty easy to shave your own head with a buzzer if all of the hair is the same length.
I have longer hair so I have to go to a hair saloon or else I would butcher my own hair doing it myself.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29984 posts
1298 upvotes
Fernando Po
Yep. Buzz cuts for the past year.
Mar 26, 2009
142 posts
1 upvote
Calgary
i went from long hair , about half way down my back .. to bold in about 20 minutes. It was about 10 years ago .. but i would not grow hair any length even if they paid me. I do a clean shave once a week ... takes me all of 10 minutes and costs next to nothing. The only expense is the razor and i pick up Gillette disposables at Shoppers for about $5 for a pack of 4.

Greg
May 18, 2006
994 posts
24 upvotes
M.D. wrote:
Apr 30th, 2009 6:39 pm
Ya its pretty easy to shave your own head with a buzzer if all of the hair is the same length.
I have longer hair so I have to go to a hair saloon or else I would butcher my own hair doing it myself.
Been doing my own for over 10 years now. Summer usually just entails taking the length attachment off the cluippers and shavin' er down to the wood. The rest of the year, it's #5 on top, #4 along the top edges, #3 along the sides, #2 right down to the ears and neckline, attachment off to shape the neckline, over the ears, and sideburns, and #1 to taper the neckline, over the ears, and sideburns. I am soooooo good-lookin'!! :D

Takes me about 20-25 minutes for stylin', about 5-10 for the buzzcut.

p.s. I'd stay away from the "hair saloon" :lol: . I tried cutting my hair during a drinking-Friday-night, and eventually had to go to the default buzzcut, even though that wasn't the original plan - ended up looking like this guy :cry: ..........
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4156 posts
1168 upvotes
I've been doing it for about .. a month now and I essentially just fine-tune it every 4 days or so.

It really depends on what style you're aiming for; I usually get someone else to do the back of my head for me. One thing I'm debating on investing in is one of those clippers with the alligator style teeth, apparently it maintains some sort of texture vs normal scissors.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4495 posts
43 upvotes
Does anyone know where I can pick up a head shaver for a decent price?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
375 upvotes
Canada
Paranoidandroid wrote:
May 12th, 2009 9:21 am
Does anyone know where I can pick up a head shaver for a decent price?
Try factory direct or xscargo if they are nearby (I believe they sell them, I've seen then in their ads for pretty cheap, like 10 - 15 bucks)
Otherwise I think Walmart is a bit more expensive but still decently priced
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2007
4156 posts
1168 upvotes
Got mine at Walmart for $25, no complaints whatsoever.

Make sure you get something with a number of shaving attachments though, meaning various size shavers that you can adjust. I can't really see something under $20 having too many sizes (could be wrong :D )
:arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
4302 posts
210 upvotes
Farm
Just cut my own hair today for the first time. Just did a 2 all around and even did my sideburns properly (just how my friend used to do it) and had my mom even up the back. :)

Next time I'm going to try and do a fade (3 on top, 2 on the sides), and if I screw up I can just continue doing a 2.