• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2017 7:03 am
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
120 posts
22 upvotes

Anyone dentist? Question about tooth?

I have tooth that is decaying and half gone. It's at the very back(last one) and I can tell it's sensitive.

If I get it removed, do I need to add crown? Another tooth? Can I just get it removed and stitch gums back to normal?

Is adding tooth recommended?
8 replies
Banned
Aug 2, 2017
1219 posts
120 upvotes
Logtown
This site is all about saving money, so..

Got a pair of pliers?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15695 posts
4437 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
You can’t add a crown if the tooth is gone. If it’s salvageable they will do a root canal and add a crown to strengthen the tooth (as a root canal’d tooth will be weaker due to the fact that it’s basically a dead tooth without a live root). That’s a few $k at least ($1k for the root canal and probably $2-3k for the crown)

If they pull the tooth they will stitch it up and the gum will close on its own. Then you can put a dental implant in at a later time. Again that’s a few $k. Dental implant would be a peg in your gum and then a tooth screws into that peg.

If the tooth is decayed to the point where it’s half gone they’ll probably have to pull it

If it’s a molar you’ll probably want to replace it. Especially if you have other molars gone. If it’s the only one gone you can survive without it though.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8307 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ysl5710 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 6:26 pm
I have tooth that is decaying and half gone. It's at the very back(last one) and I can tell it's sensitive.

If I get it removed, do I need to add crown? Another tooth? Can I just get it removed and stitch gums back to normal?

Is adding tooth recommended?
You can get an implant, but its possible you may not need it, or it may not be possible to place there due to bone level.

Try counting teeth from middle. If this is tooth number 8, you don't need another tooth there. If 7 you may be ok without it as well. 6 or lower would be trickier to pull off.

Either way, go see a dentist to see what are the options. Some do free consultations. Also, you can visit a dental school for much cheaper dentistry, at cost of additional time. University of Toronto has one. Not sure if that is doable for you location wise.

Try this picture to approximate tooth numbers, don't be too concerned if it's 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X. Just concentrate on actual tooth count from middle.

[OP]
Apr 4, 2017
120 posts
22 upvotes
Definitely 8 because it's the last one at the very back.
Dec 9, 2007
172 posts
15 upvotes
Have you had your wisdom teeth removed?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8307 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ysl5710 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 11:32 pm
Definitely 8 because it's the last one at the very back.
If its 8 then all you need to do is remove it. Those are never replaced, as they are not necessary. Lots of times those are easy to take out. However, removal of some of 8s may be more complicated/costly than other teeth. In some cases full sedation may be necessary. Usually the lower jaw ones are the trickiest.

As I said before, see Dentist for removal options. If money is a concern see a few dentists, or see dental clinic in dental school as I previously suggested.
Aug 15, 2017
40 posts
6 upvotes
Andro wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 7:16 am
If its 8 then all you need to do is remove it. Those are never replaced, as they are not necessary. Lots of times those are easy to take out. However, removal of some of 8s may be more complicated/costly than other teeth. In some cases full sedation may be necessary. Usually the lower jaw ones are the trickiest.

As I said before, see Dentist for removal options. If money is a concern see a few dentists, or see dental clinic in dental school as I previously suggested.
Sedation is never "necessary." We do it partially to make patients more comfortable (in that, you can't remember the procedure/surgery) and to make life easier for us (for the same reason).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
8307 posts
1797 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
TheSpandexSuplex wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 12:32 am
Sedation is never "necessary." We do it partially to make patients more comfortable (in that, you can't remember the procedure/surgery) and to make life easier for us (for the same reason).
What part of "in some cases" did you not understand?

If the the patient requests sedation in a particular case, then it becomes necessary element for the treatment of that patient, provided that all the requirements are met. Which is exactly what I meant, when I said" in some cases". Are you trying to pick an argument?