• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2019 10:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1389 posts
581 upvotes

Anyone doing Keto?

If yes, just curious how others are doing it. For example, do you eat breakfast? What do you eat and when? Do you count calories or know roughly how many calories you're eating? Do any of you fast? Also, looking for meal/recipe ideas. Anyone a vegetarian and doing keto? How's that working out for you?

I find low carb the most effective way for me (especially because it reduces bloating, inflammation, which makes me feel better instantly). I was on it but then went on vacation and while I didn't gain anything, having a hard time getting motivated to get back into it ketosis (because I'm still eating one too many carbs...can't get motivated). I tend to eat mostly natural foods (as opposed to processed crap).

I don't have that much to lose (10lbs, maybe 15lbs) but at the rate I'm going don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I'm hoping with spring around the corner, more sunshine/longer days that will be motivation enough. I do workout (weights/cardio), walk to work, yoga, hike, ski when conditions permit.

Just looking for ideas and inspiration.
Last edited by hierophant on Feb 26th, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
187 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7100 posts
1639 upvotes
hierophant wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 4:08 pm
If yes, just curious how others are doing it. For example, do you eat breakfast? What do you eat and when? Do you count calories or know roughly how many calories you're eating? Do any of you fast? Also, looking for meal/recipe ideas. Anyone a vegetarian and doing keto? How's that working out for you?

I find low carb the most effective way for me (especially because it reduces bloating, inflammation, which makes me feel better instantly). I was on it but then went on vacation and while I didn't gain anything, having a hard time getting motivated to get back into it ketosis (because I'm still eating one too many carbs...can't get motivated). I tend to eat mostly natural foods (as opposed to processed crap).

I don't have that much to lose (10lbs, maybe 15lbs) but at the rate I'm going don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I'm hoping with spring around the corner, more sunshine/longer days that will be motivation enough. I do workout (weights/cardio), walk to work, yoga, hike, ski when conditions permit.

https://www.ruled.me/

My experience with Keto has been very good - I combined it with HIT and yoga and reached my fitness goal last year. Checkout the link above it has all the information to get you started. Breakfast for me is usually bulletproof or regular coffee and sometimes add a piece or two of dark chocolate (90%/100%) . As for motivation try and find someone else that will do it with you. Don't get discouraged by what others tell you - do your own research and then do what is right for you.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12929 posts
1340 upvotes
Mississauga
I did it for 2 years. Followed http://ketogains.com macros, which are optimized for body comp. Enjoyed it for 1+ years, then started having issues with cognitive function and energy levels. Also got tired of non-stop electrolytes maintenance.

I do Paleo ish / slow carb ish diet and have leaned out even more with carbs and less fat.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12929 posts
1340 upvotes
Mississauga
hierophant wrote:

Keto or not, your weight loss is dependent upon how much you eat and how much you burn. if you aren't having crappy processed carbs, there should not be any bloating or inflammation. Keep it to rice, lentils, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.
Aug 17, 2008
940 posts
347 upvotes
Why Keto? Evidence points to this being a very poor diet. Yes, people can lose weight with Keto, but that is true of any diet. Keto has some very negative impacts.

Here's a well written article on the science regarding Ketogenic-diets.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/toasting ... d2bd03de4f

Best diets of 2018 (Keto tied for last place):
https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/04/health/k ... index.html

Look into the evidence before jumping in!

There is no "magic diet". The basics are simple.
http://www.dietdetective.com/diet-detec ... e-nutriti/
Dec 11, 2011
22 posts
20 upvotes
CALEDON
I would recommend against Keto if your end goal is to build a healthy sustainable lifestyle. If you have no medical conditions getting in the way, losing weight is very simple.

Track your macros and eat below your calories burned for the day. Incorporate resistance training so that you minimize the muscle loss and maximize the fat loss during the weight loss period.

The reality is that maintaining a state of ketosis is very challenging and extremely limiting for the average person that consume atleast 150-200g of carbs daily. However, if that lifestyle is sustainable for you, then by all means. KETO AWAY!

To give a spot of context, I workout daily consuming 300-400g of "clean" carbs daily. I maintain ~10-12% BF year round and never feel like I'm suffering from the foods that I eat. Mind you, it takes a while to get there, but the end result is always worth the effort. CARBS ARE BAE. Also I was never one genetically blessed with an amazing metabolism. However, if you build muscle over the years, it'll do the work for you. Always think long term!

Good luck with your goals.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5408 posts
614 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2019 7:22 pm
Keto or not, your weight loss is dependent upon how much you eat and how much you burn. if you aren't having crappy processed carbs, there should not be any bloating or inflammation. Keep it to rice, lentils, potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.
Well, there are many reasons for bloating. Many people have issues with FODMAPs. Has nothing to do with processed carbs.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12929 posts
1340 upvotes
Mississauga
sik20fan wrote:
Feb 25th, 2019 3:48 pm
I would recommend against Keto if your end goal is to build a healthy sustainable lifestyle. If you have no medical conditions getting in the way, losing weight is very simple.

Track your macros and eat below your calories burned for the day. Incorporate resistance training so that you minimize the muscle loss and maximize the fat loss during the weight loss period.

The reality is that maintaining a state of ketosis is very challenging and extremely limiting for the average person that consume atleast 150-200g of carbs daily. However, if that lifestyle is sustainable for you, then by all means. KETO AWAY!

To give a spot of context, I workout daily consuming 300-400g of "clean" carbs daily. I maintain ~10-12% BF year round and never feel like I'm suffering from the foods that I eat. Mind you, it takes a while to get there, but the end result is always worth the effort. CARBS ARE BAE. Also I was never one genetically blessed with an amazing metabolism. However, if you build muscle over the years, it'll do the work for you. Always think long term!

Good luck with your goals.
I agree. My gym performance has definitely been better by switching over to carbs. (And I was well adjusted and stayed in ketosis for over 2+ years).
Apr 18, 2017
340 posts
142 upvotes
hierophant wrote:

I've been in varying degrees of ketosis consistently for approximately 90% of the past 12 years.

do you eat breakfast? Socially
What do you eat and when? Steak, when I'm hungry normally around 5pm.
Do you count calories? No
or know roughly how many calories you're eating? Yes. I did a personal overfeeding experiment, to demonstrate to doubters that CICO is at minimum an incomplete model.

Do any of you fast? 4 times/year I do a 5 day water fast.

Also, looking for meal/recipe ideas. Can't help you there, I eat the same meals over and over but never tire of them. I do recommend ruled.me to people, as that website has some great recipes. Even pecan pie.

Anyone a vegetarian and doing keto? Tried it 13 years ago.
How's that working out for you? Made my health conditions worse. I did lose weight though.

..... bloating, inflammation, which makes me feel better instantly). Sounds like you have an opportunity to identify something you are sensitive to by eliminating it from your diet. It could be anything, or many things.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1389 posts
581 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 10:20 pm
I've been in varying degrees of ketosis consistently for approximately 90% of the past 12 years.

do you eat breakfast? Socially
What do you eat and when? Steak, when I'm hungry normally around 5pm.
Do you count calories? No
or know roughly how many calories you're eating? Yes. I did a personal overfeeding experiment, to demonstrate to doubters that CICO is at minimum an incomplete model.

Do any of you fast? 4 times/year I do a 5 day water fast.

Also, looking for meal/recipe ideas. Can't help you there, I eat the same meals over and over but never tire of them. I do recommend ruled.me to people, as that website has some great recipes. Even pecan pie.

Anyone a vegetarian and doing keto? Tried it 13 years ago.
How's that working out for you? Made my health conditions worse. I did lose weight though.

..... bloating, inflammation, which makes me feel better instantly). Sounds like you have an opportunity to identify something you are sensitive to by eliminating it from your diet. It could be anything, or many things.
Thanks for being the only one to actually answer my questions lol. So you only eat steak? Just to clarify - keto vegetarian made your health conditions worse? If you don't mind sharing, in what way?
Apr 18, 2017
340 posts
142 upvotes
Steak, roasts, hamburger etc.
I can eat other things now, just about anything including pecan pie. but still prefer a thick rare steak to anything else.
Numerous autoimmune issues, was on prescription NSAIDS, and steroids.
Went vegan, got worse. then vegan keto. No benefit.
By worse, i mean debiltating pain in my back hips, legs, hands and wrists, reynauds, and anterior uveitis.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5408 posts
614 upvotes
No wonder going keto vegetarian resulted in decreasing health...how on earth could anyone sustain a healthy diet when so many things are restricted? What could you even eat regularly--plant based oils, seeds, nuts, and low carb plants?
Apr 18, 2017
340 posts
142 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2019 7:53 am
No wonder going keto vegetarian resulted in decreasing health...how on earth could anyone sustain a healthy diet when so many things are restricted? What could you even eat regularly--plant based oils, seeds, nuts, and low carb plants?
You misread or misunderstood?

Going whole food vegan, made things worse. (note, went from a Mediterranean diet, then to vegetarian prior to that with no clear discernable changes, for better or worse)

Going vegan keto, didnt make it better or worse than eating whole food vegan.

Eating only meat, all issues resolved within 6 months. asymptomatic and no medications for over 10 years now.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2232 posts
584 upvotes
Woodbridge
qman23 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2019 10:20 pm
Yes. I did a personal overfeeding experiment, to demonstrate to doubters that CICO is at minimum an incomplete model.
I'm curious to learn more about this. Are you suggesting that weight loss is possible if CI > CO?
Aug 25, 2006
180 posts
141 upvotes
Toronto
Went on a very disciplined keto phase back in Jan 1 2018 and stuck with it for about 4 months before I gave up. Dropped from 250lbs to 210lbs with no increase in exercise (ongoing back issues with bulging discs) in just those 4 months so as a diet it was very effective. Lots of meat, cheese, veggies, nuts. Wife and kids thought I was always grumpy on the diet... probably because I had to eat separate meals from everyone else all the time. Made it difficult to have family dinners or eat at other family members meals. I didn't mind the food options personally but it is quite limiting if used to a diet that was carb rich before. Ultimately decided it wasn't worth the friction. May be worth it if your significant other is on the same bandwagon or if your single but the sacrifices are real... carbs are yummy and a much more convenient sources of calories in western diet. Didn't notice any health benefits or drawbacks while on it to be honest (other then rapid weight loss).