Students

anyone done the CSI capstone course?/CFP final exam..

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 8:43 pm
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
60 posts
33 upvotes

anyone done the CSI capstone course?/CFP final exam..

Hi, I recently signed up for the CSI capstone course, and just wanted to touch base with anyone that's completed the financial plans in the last little while... (i think CSI has been running the course for 5-10 years now.)

If you did complete the CSI capstone course, a few questions:
1) how similar is the 20 question online multiple choice test to the 45 question "self assessment"?
2) the mini financial plans are 10 pages each... including all the appendix's etc.. how in depth did you go?
3) the final plan which you have to buy off the FPSC website - 45 pages?Are they looking for every single thing (how granular are they?)

4) -- HOW Annoying are the graders? did you get nit picked for everything? or is CSI a bit more lenient on the grading of these courses?

Lastly... before I purchase the "practice exam" for CFP exam - as I gather it is a written exam..... Unsure if you've completed the PFP - but the PFP written component (part 2) was essentially a couple case studies and then you write out your responses applying the financial planning concepts.
How similar to the PFP written exam is it?

I found the PFP exam pretty easy over all.
19 replies
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Hey there, I'm working on the capstone course right now and doing the first mini case. I'm going into as much detail as I can but keeping the content relevant to the case objectives. My question is what format are you using? They advised size 10 and Arial but I'm finding a 10-page budget restricts you to how much detail you can add because the charts, engagement letter, assumptions, appendix, and table of contents quickly uses up your room.
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Hey there, what feedback did you receive on your mini cases? I just started the capstone and due to the formatting restrictions, font size 11 and Arial, I find myself quickly running out of space for actual content once the table of contents, engagement letter, and appendices are done.
Jun 4, 2019
1 posts
Hey jotman,
Have u worked on the case study yet? I'm working on the first one right now. Seems pretty straight forward so far.
Jun 13, 2019
2 posts
hey guys I just found this thread because I wanted to see if anyone has had the same experience as I have. I've been working on the Capstone through CSI and I have to say... it's *brutal*. Their grading is absolutely unreasonable and illogical. I'm actually failing the course and I'm going to take it through Advocis instead.

One example:
On the first mini-plan I used the letter of engagement provided by CSI. No problem. On the second mini-plan I used the same letter of engagement and lost marks for it because it was inadequate. What? It's the letter *you gave us*. On the rough draft for the big plan I used the letter of engagement given in the case study by the FPSC. I lost marks for it because it is allegedly inadequate. Ok, so how does this make ANY sense? You won't accept your own letter of engagement (sometimes) and you won't accept the one from FPSC in the case study... so what will you accept??? I'm losing marks for something like this?? What letter of engagement should I use??

Another example:
On the second mini-plan I lost marks because I allegedly did not outline my assumptions. Except I did. In the section titled "Assumptions". Also more in the footnotes.

More examples:
"Childcare expenses are substantially less than what was communicated" --> I used the exact numbers from the case study.
"There is minimal discussion [of asset allocation] as it relates to the client's asset allocation and it does not clearly explain how risk tolerance was established or assumed." --> That's because in the case study the asset allocation and risk tolerance were simply given to us and it just said that the risk tolerance was established in previous meetings. There was nothing more for me to say about this. :/
"Does not discuss need to meet with a financial advisor." --> um... what? I am the financial advisor.
“Further attention is required for spelling and grammar” --> This one baffles me. I would love for anyone to read my submission and find any spelling or grammatical errors and point them out to me.

When I contacted customer service about this, they simply said that I can pay a fee to have my submissions re-marked, but that the marking is likely to give the same result. wtf.
Jun 16, 2019
1 posts
Hi Holly,

Wondering how long the markers took to get back to you after your submission of the mini cases? The site quotes up to 21 days but as an example, all exams written through CSI state a 15 day waiting period until marks are released but in reality, we typically receive them after 3 or 4 days.

Just trying to plan out my timeline before the November CFP exam.

Thanks!
Jul 2, 2019
6 posts
Have you finished 20 question course assessment ? Is it similar to that 45 Q ?or Is it similar as PFP exam?Thanks a lot
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Hi Kobe, sorry for not checking back. I'm just starting on the major FP today. I've sent in both the mini cases and I'm waiting for the 20-question assessment until the end. I figure my knowledge of content will be higher having done all the case work at that point. How are you finding it? Are you on the full financial plan?
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11665 posts
3470 upvotes
Victoria
I did it last year. i felt it was the worst course I've ever taken. They give you sample mini plans, so I used the same format/info/technique for my mini plans. Just followed the leed in the samples. Same with the full plan at the end. I think there's was 45 pages. Mine came in at 37. I did mine in word and excel so it was painstaking slow :( I didn't do that great on my 1st draft, but did what they put in their comments and did good enough on the 2nd draft.

The 20 question thing, I just did on a whim. I thought it was fine.. didn't prep for it or anything. Got over 80% on it without trying.

The hard part is a lot of people are going to be trying to finish it before the fall CFP exam. My marks came back last year well before the deadline they gave. I imagine with CFP requirements changing next year, a lot of people are going try to finish it up and challenge the CFP before the changes go through.
Jul 2, 2019
6 posts
i have a problem to understand the sample. There are certain PV, FV I don’t know how they calculated...anyone willing to be my tutor here? Thank you
Aug 18, 2011
1 posts
Richmond Hill
OmG! I can’t agree more,p! That was so frustrating to see the comments came back from the markers and some of them are not even making any sense! I feel like they didn’t even take a good look at my plan, which I took so many days and wrote 37 pages with only word and excel. As they don’t want us to use any financial plan tools. By the way, in the real world, it’s recommended to use the tools to save time and be accurate!
Also one comment was the net worth was too high. I can’t believe it, I used the net worth the care provided in the appendix!
Anyway, Holly, are you submitting the final plan soon? I am so scared to submit the last one because if that one doesn’t get enough points, I will FAIL!
Tears.......
Jul 2, 2019
6 posts
how many days takes to get feedback? Is it truly 21 business day?
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Maybe close to 21 days as the end of 2019 approaches but it's normally been 5-10 business days for the mini cases. Maybe 21 for the main FP.
Jul 2, 2019
6 posts
Very hopeless, even failed on my first mini case...45% for 10 page answer....
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Is anyone working on the Full Financial Plan for the CSI Capstone course? Specifically, case #5: Blended Family Decisions?
Banned
May 9, 2019
277 posts
287 upvotes
I did the capstone course through CSI not long ago and had no trouble with it. I scored fairly well overall - about 75%.
I found all of the case studies pretty easy. I got just close to 90 on both the mini cases, and on the final plan I scored 55% on my first attempt and 65% on my final attempt. I pretty much stopped caring after I got my grades for the mini cases though. I just didn't want to spend to much time on a 40 page plan, so I rushed it. My thought process was do enough to pass 61% is all I was aiming for.

The mini quiz is 100% based on the dummy plan they give you.. Basically behavioral questions.

In terms of timeline, it took me about 1.5 weeks to get my grades back on the mini cases. The first draft of the final plan took 2 weeks. The last draft of the final plan took about a week.

CFP requirements are changing in 2020 and there is likely going to be a flood of candidates rushing to finish up this year.
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Thanks Bezne.

For the 40-page plan, if you scored 55% on your draft attempt and then decided to do nothing, do you think you'd still receive 55% on the final plan? Or do you think they grade the final submission based on the quality of your revisions?

I'm coming from the perspective if you score 100% on your draft, your final submission should also be the same. I'm somewhat confused on what the final grading is based on.

Thanks for your comments.
Mar 9, 2019
7 posts
1 upvote
Sorry to hear that - that sucks! Did they offer helpful feedback for your the final version of your 40-page plan? Hopefully the new curriculum being posted in 2020 will be better.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)