Shopping Discussion

Anyone else affected by Rogers increase in internet service rates?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2016 12:21 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 18, 2015
320 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Anyone else affected by Rogers increase in internet service rates?

A couple months ago, Rogers, Bell and Telus announced they would be increasing the rates of internet, phone plans because of the low dollar. However it was mentioned that this would only affect new customers.

Checked my bill for this month, and the $3.00 increase was added to the bill, even though we signed a contract with Rogers since October 2015.
When we called in they said that "terms are subject to increase"
WTF.....

believe me, we tried everything to not sign with Rogers. we wanted to continue our service with Teksavvy, but we moved to a new suburb, and it is only serviced by Rogers.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
KendrickStone wrote: A couple months ago, Rogers, Bell and Telus announced they would be increasing the rates of internet, phone plans because of the low dollar. However it was mentioned that this would only affect new customers.

Checked my bill for this month, and the $3.00 increase was added to the bill, even though we signed a contract with Rogers since October 2015.
WTF.....

believe me, we tried everything to not sign with Rogers. we wanted to continue our service with Teksavvy, but we moved to a new suburb, and it is only serviced by Rogers.
only if you have a locked rate....
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
wouldn't their be a increase since Ontario says to the cable companies have to offer cheaper cable and customers can pick their own chanels for a lower cost, well thats fine and dandy but rogers etc will still make up the lost money by gouching on other services they offer like internet and cell plans !! Thats what i think. Its just like Ontario was going to raise minimum wage to 15.00, thats also fine and dandy but say business owners have 6 employees they would lay off 4 people so they can pay the remaining 2 left the 15.00 a hour, Ontario can make all the rules they want, business can counter react by lay offs or in this case raising the prices on everything but cable.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
shawn01 wrote: wouldn't their be a increase since Ontario says to the cable companies have to offer cheaper cable and customers can pick their own chanels for a lower cost, well thats fine and dandy but rogers etc will still make up the lost money by gouching on other services they offer like internet and cell plans !! Thats what i think. Its just like Ontario was going to raise minimum wage to 15.00, thats also fine and dandy but say business owners have 6 employees they would lay off 4 people so they can pay the remaining 2 left the 15.00 a hour, Ontario can make all the rules they want, business can counter react by lay offs or in this case raising the prices on everything but cable.
CRTC is an independent public authority in charge of regulating and supervising Canadian broadcasting and telecommunications.

Skinny 'basic' packages are to give Canadian cable customers more choice, not to reduce the cable bill, the CRTC chairman Jean-Pierre Blais had told the Globe and Mail in an interview.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e29334370/
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
KendrickStone wrote: A couple months ago, Rogers, Bell and Telus announced they would be increasing the rates of internet, phone plans because of the low dollar. However it was mentioned that this would only affect new customers.

WTF.....

It's the wording in the promotion... if ur promo was based on percentage discount ie. 30% off cable, 50% off internet then YES, robbers has a right to increase rates base on the fine print. However, if ur in a price locked contract (ie. $30 off cable, $25 off internet - price guarantee 2 yrs), then NO you will NOT get an increase. Point blank. Keep this mind next time your contract expires and you speak to retentions or concierge.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
tk1000 wrote: CRTC is an independent public authority in charge of regulating and supervising Canadian broadcasting and telecommunications.

Skinny 'basic' packages are to give Canadian cable customers more choice, not to reduce the cable bill, the CRTC chairman Jean-Pierre Blais had told the Globe and Mail in an interview.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... e29334370/
oh ok just thought that was the reason
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
aznnorth wrote: However, if ur in a price locked contract (ie. $30 off cable, $25 off internet - price guarantee 2 yrs), then NO you will NOT get an increase. Point blank. Keep this mind next time your contract expires and you speak to retentions or concierge.
I make sure all my deals are setup this way now.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the retention offers have the rates locked in.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
aznnorth wrote: It's the wording in the promotion... if ur promo was based on percentage discount ie. 30% off cable, 50% off internet then YES, robbers has a right to increase rates base on the fine print. However, if ur in a price locked contract (ie. $30 off cable, $25 off internet - price guarantee 2 yrs), then NO you will NOT get an increase. Point blank. Keep this mind next time your contract expires and you speak to retentions or concierge.
Most peeps think the one yr percentage discounts are cheaper so go with it over the 2 yr locked price guarantee contract. That's true for ONE YEAR... however when you renew for another one year term the price rises to above the monthly rate of a price fixed contract term (because robbers increases prices every year anyway...). So overall 2X one year terms using percentage promos is same as 2 yr locked in rate and often the 2 yr locked in rate ends up being 2-3 dollars cheaper when calculating over a 24 mos period. So in future when asking about 1 yr terms based on percentage discounts, robbers always has the 2 yr locked in rate equivalent. Ask for it.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2003
6484 posts
2389 upvotes
Mississauga
I was told by Rogers only the bundling involves contract and is price protected...

I have 1 year promotional credits but it isn't a contract because i can leave anytime without penalty... Therefore, i am not price protected from increases

Ie. Free hdpvr and 30% off digital vip (cable tv).... So if the vip pkg goes up, so will my bill... Hence $3/mth
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9002 upvotes
Toronto
^Those who are bundled, but with no contract (or sometimes even in a contract) can check with Rogers Customer relations (not customer service) to see if there is a new discount being offered.
After the $3 increase applied, they found a $10 discount on my cell plan. Now I pay $7 less than I did before. (my bundle is cell + cable + internet)
Dec 15, 2014
183 posts
33 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I had no increase on my Internet plan.

I locked into a 2 year plan with $25.00 off per month. ...

Now my bill shows:

$3.00 increase per month but also $3.00 increase per month in my discount.

Net result : no increase
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
they know people will pay whatever for internet cuz nobody can live without wifi so yeah price increase every year
Mar 12, 2006
10 posts
Last edited by hill on Nov 26th, 2022 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
hill wrote: I'm on the 250u plan and get 50% off the price of that. I was under the impression the 250u plan's regular price would increase $3 so mine would increase $1.50, but my recent bill shows mine increased $3.

Am I being overcharged now?
call them and ask them see what they say and get them to discount it if it works
Feb 4, 2015
215 posts
106 upvotes
York, ON
My two thoughts (not necessarily helpful):

- Low dollar causing Internet service cost increase? WTF? I've heard some weak excuses for a price increase before but this is a new low.
- If Rogers services your area Teksavvy should be a possibility as Teksavvy piggybacks off their infrastructure.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)