Entertainment

Anyone else feel the same about Family Guy?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2007 9:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
371 posts
4 upvotes

Anyone else feel the same about Family Guy?

I am usually not the type who gets offended by what many would consider racist, rude or insulting jokes. I usually try to look at the humour in everything, and take everything light heartedly.

However, as of late I find it hard to see the humour in some of family guy's content. I saw last night's episode where lois cheats on peter, and then peter wants to "get busy" with lois' mom. And the week before that, where peter suggested sleeping with Meg.

American dad is just as offensive.

And the new show by MacFarlane, "The Winner" is again something of the same sort.

Not sure if many agree with me here, but it seems to me that this guy is out with an agenda to promote disfunctional families as something normal. Family guy has always been offensive, but it seems they keep crossing the line everytime, and since many have stopped caring, they somehow manage to outdo themselves every week.

My biggest issue with this is that even very young kids are watching this and by the time they reach their tweens, they will be used to accept these ideologies as norm.

I know south park is a fairly offensive show, but they do not try to portrait themselves as normal. They show themselves as an offensive show, and an average kid or any viewer of the show would get the impression that what south park portraits is not normal. But that is not the case with Family Guy, they are just as offensive, if not more, and it is being presented as something completely normal.

Not sure if I got across what I feel like, but just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2006
1754 posts
13 upvotes
Scarborough
Eventually, nobody will be watching Family Guy in the near future. I certainly hope that will be the case.
I personally think the show has gone down under in terms of humor (almost as bad as The Simpsons has).
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2797 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
I think this over the edge humor is what makes these shows so special and hence their popularity, the pure shock value of some of the jokes is entertaining to most as they just brush it off. In a sense i guess it is desensitizing society to racism and violence, but meh its what people like and its what makes money so it wont go away any time soon.
Nov 7, 2004
940 posts
69 upvotes
PACIFIC
I feel the same way about this show. It's just plain immoral, offensive, and unacceptable - unlike South Park, where there's some good/moral lessons in it. IMO, I don't even find Family Guy funny or enjoyable to watch at all.
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
21622 posts
257 upvotes
Mississauga
I dont think anyone will mistake Family Guy for normalizing dysfunctional families...The main characters are a talking dog and evil murderous infant.
Even if it does, I'm ok with it, because everyone has their skeletons in their family closet. Dysfunction although far from ideal, is normal....a heck of a lot more normal that idealized family life portrayed on The Cosby Show or Leave it to Beaver.

But I agree with the point that the show has gotten stale, and the shock value is gratuitous and even predictable now. Still enjoy it and the Simpsons though mostly because nothing else seems very good for light entertainment.
Never got into South Park. Just seemed too crude (talking feces and all).
Thanks for the memories, RFD.
Good-bye.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2004
2010 posts
274 upvotes
xsighted wrote:
Mar 12th, 2007 9:18 pm
I saw last night's episode where lois cheats on peter, and then peter wants to "get busy" with lois' mom. And the week before that, where peter suggested sleeping with Meg.
Am I the only one that laughed after reading that? :lol:

Go cry somewhere else OP. :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
1034 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I disagree, Family Guy is hilarious.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2006
4069 posts
139 upvotes
I disagree..family guy used to be hilarious..now its just....meh.

I don't quite understand the reference to the singer guy perhaps that would have made the recent episode funnier...but doubt it.

But back to what the OP is saying...the show may be crossing the line on various issues like racism and such but like one poster said, who can take it seriously with a talking dog etc. If you're worried about kids watching this and accepting these ideologies as norm when they reach their "tweens" then we should comment on shows like...24 :P "Torture is the best way to get information"...but we don't (i think) because people are smart enough now to realize that what you see on tv is not an exact portrayal of what happens in real life.

mm..i forgot where i was going with this..
anyways family guy isn't as funny anymore, perhaps the show will die
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2002
2434 posts
4 upvotes
pennywize wrote:
Mar 13th, 2007 8:15 am
I disagree, Family Guy is hilarious.
I agree, racist/sexist/dirty/improper/rude jokes rock!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2721 posts
105 upvotes
South Park did a great commentary on Family Guy a season or two back. Just randomness thrown together. For those that never got into South Park, it's easy to generalize it as bein vulgar from the word of mouth experience from the first couple seasons. I find that the creativity and intelligence of the show has generally grown up with the Trey and Matt.
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
371 posts
4 upvotes
ipxxx wrote:
Mar 13th, 2007 8:55 am
If you're worried about kids watching this and accepting these ideologies as norm when they reach their "tweens" then we should comment on shows like...24 :P "Torture is the best way to get information"...but we don't (i think) because people are smart enough now to realize that what you see on tv is not an exact portrayal of what happens in real life.
i guess you are right. i only watch comedies on tv, so i wouldnt be able to comment on other shows

i agree that people are smart enough to realize what you see on tv is not a portrayal of real life, but people are also curious enough to experiment with what they see on tv

i am not saying what family guy shows is a reflection of current society, but i am scared that future society might become a reflection of family guy
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
371 posts
4 upvotes
Moot wrote:
Mar 13th, 2007 2:37 am
Am I the only one that laughed after reading that? :lol:

Go cry somewhere else OP. :rolleyes:
perfect example of what i was talking about
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2001
1466 posts
34 upvotes
Maple
xsighted wrote:
Mar 13th, 2007 9:41 am
perfect example of what i was talking about
I have to agree with Moot on this one. I think this has been one of the funniest seasons yet. Sure, some of the topics are really pushing it, but c'mon, it's a cartoon, and if you can't watch it for the pure comedic value that it provides, then it's not for you anyway.

It's no different from Borat.. many people found it offensive, but I think the majority found it funny.
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15766 posts
541 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Is not Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad, 14+ (it says so in the beginning of each show in a top corner)

South park is for mature adults (says so in top of each episode)
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
[OP]
Mar 4, 2006
371 posts
4 upvotes
spdztr wrote:
Mar 13th, 2007 9:50 am
I have to agree with Moot on this one. I think this has been one of the funniest seasons yet. Sure, some of the topics are really pushing it, but c'mon, it's a cartoon, and if you can't watch it for the pure comedic value that it provides, then it's not for you anyway.

It's no different from Borat.. many people found it offensive, but I think the majority found it funny.
Funny depends on individual sense of humour. One person may find it funny, another may not. So, funny is not the question here. I personally used to find it funny before the show got cancelled. Once it came back, it did not have the same level. I do enjoy the randomness of the show, but I am getting sick of a few of the things on the show.

As far as borat is concerned, I did enjoy watching it (except one very particular scene) , but if everyone starts releasing such movies, I am sure I would get sick of them too.

To get the pure comedic value of the show, I'd have to make myself oblivous to everything thats wrong with it. And would probably have to accept that incest is ok. Not something in me. I guess that ok with you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)