Computers & Electronics

Anyone else hate windows 10 with a passion?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 8:54 pm
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9772 posts
1025 upvotes
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop ... windows-10
toomuchpie wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:42 pm
No... no, thanks. I want control.

But I'm obviously missing something here, and you apparently know how it's done so maybe you can clear things up. Where is the setting in Windows 10 Pro that gives you control over Windows Updates? I went into advanced options and don't see it. I see options for deferment, but nothing that gives you control over the updates. I click on Check for updates and it automatically downloads and installs them. No letting you review anything, look at details, option to choose to install or block updates, or not install and not block at the same time.

The only way I see to block an update is to use wushowhide.diagcab, which needs to be downloaded, and I know for sure from experience that it didn't work for a driver update. It's certainly not looking reliable.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
I don't mind Windows 10. The nice thing about it is that it was a free upgrade. I don't like the "spyware" side of things with it, but I'm already an Android user and I'm used to that. I would go with Apple or Linux if I could, but I'm a PC gamer so I don't have much choice.

The one thing I really don't like about Windows 10 is the settings interface. It's a mish-mash between the old interface and the new. It seems half baked. Other than that I like the interface and I find that it performs very fast. Actually on older hardware I find it's significantly faster than Windows 7.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16454 posts
1764 upvotes
Montreal
I keep a windows for the occasional word document that won't format right on libre office. Otherwise, I use Linux pretty much 24/7. Even most of my games are now Linux based.
Last edited by mr_raider on Nov 5th, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2303 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto
heyyahblah wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:35 pm
since W8 and now W10 it does the same thing, when you click update, it takes you to the Windows update screen, searches for updates and "finds nothing" even though ESET did. Then you lose the ESET page and forget what updates it recommended.

Yea, thats what I do. When I see that ESET list pop-up I take a print screen and throw it in paint, then I hit update to make the screen go away and Windows finds nothing.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd be tempted to use the Snipping Tool and save the window. Windows + S brings it up pretty quick and you can then "save as".
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3902 posts
791 upvotes
Halifax
toomuchpie wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:17 pm
That's a fresh install on a virtual machine. I have tried this on many other real computers but it never works. Do you by any chance have classic shell installed? I know it'll work in Windows 10 if you use classic shell's start menu.

Edit: I started the VM again and it is showing as a result now. However, I did wait around 5 minutes for more results before posting the image that I did. Why can't it just work? I don't know, but it does work immediately in Windows 7. And like I've said, I've done this on many real computers (usually new) as well and it never shows that result.
I am only guessing, but I believe they did a lot of re-work on how indexing is done. Settings is part of that indexing as far as I can tell. I know within my Virtual Machine, search does appear slower. Only thing I can think of is because I don't run my Virtual Machine all the time it takes time for things to get set...on my main machine, it is fine. Again, just guessing...But yeah, you would think something like settings would always show in search. Compared to OSX, you can run into similar issues. When it is re-indexing hard, spotlight is garbage and won't do much. Once indexing is done, it is all gravy. It would be interesting to know how it works deeper down into the system.
Dec 1, 2010
786 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
ROYinTO wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:05 pm
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd be tempted to use the Snipping Tool and save the window. Windows + S brings it up pretty quick and you can then "save as".
Is snipping tool something new in FCU? I'm still using print screen and going to paint, because I'm on creators. I have my feature update defered for 180 days in the updates menu, because I heard FCU wasn't working properly for some users, and I haven't had the time to sit down and download the update and see if it applies normally to my machine. I was going to do it today, but didn't feel like making a backup and troubleshooting if something went wrong, I will update in a bit, but I'm in no hurry, as I heard FCU removed PAINT from Windows ....
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
3625 posts
812 upvotes
Debtario
I'm not a fan of windows 10, mostly because I don't have much use for the heavy web integration and don't like the aesthetics. I'm in the minority though, my usage patterns involve regularly being on a low-bandwith connection and being offline sometimes, I don't want excess net traffic when speed and bandwidth usage are already limited.

Windows 7 does all I need for the time being, there is really no pressing need for me to upgrade until they stop releasing updates for it and it goes the route of WinXP
Last edited by M1K3Z0R on Nov 5th, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25435 posts
2761 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 3:40 pm
Yes you can get windows 7. I know someone who is living proof that you can get it installed. If they can do it, I can do it. Loading another operating system is not a fantasy. There is a process but it can and will be done if you want it.
I’ve installed Windows 7 on a 7700k, it’s not hard. But not easy for an average user.

If you can’t disable a password, I’m not confident in your ability to install it.
May 29, 2008
639 posts
196 upvotes
Hamilton
Unfortunately, it doesn't provide the desired result. I tried "Notify for download and auto install" (because there was no non-auto install option) and also "Allow local admin to choose setting". On either one, if I clicked Check for updates, it just downloads and automatically install updates. Let's say if these options did work as intended for the actual automatic updates (not when you press "check for updates"), it still seems like it wouldn't give you the option to pick and choose what you want to install. It's more like a... Here are the updates available. When you're ready, we're going to install ALL of it. This is not OK with me.

Thanks for the link though. At least it seems like there is a way to not install any updates at all - better than completely no control but also not actually a good option.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25435 posts
2761 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 2:33 pm
LMAO if you don't explain how to open an elevated command prompt to this guy do you think there's any chance in hell he could do it to save his life?
It’s a simple task. He claimed to be computer literate. I guess I’m naive to trust him
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 12:41 pm
I am not computer illiterate.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7463 posts
2414 upvotes
ON
heyyahblah wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:11 pm
Is snipping tool something new in FCU? I'm still using print screen and going to paint, because I'm on creators. I have my feature update defered for 180 days in the updates menu, because I heard FCU wasn't working properly for some users, and I haven't had the time to sit down and download the update and see if it applies normally to my machine. I was going to do it today, but didn't feel like making a backup and troubleshooting if something went wrong, I will update in a bit, but I'm in no hurry, as I heard FCU removed PAINT from Windows ....
Snipping tool has been around since windows 7, perhaps even vista.
Later versions of 10 has windows+shift+s shortcut that jumps right into a snip without needing to open snipping tool first.

They announced the death of paint, only to reverse that after public outcry.
Mar 26, 2008
204 posts
23 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:06 am
I bought a new Dell so stuck with 10 'by default'. I will buy a windows 7 soon and make the switch as soon as I can.

Windows XP brings back memories of high school and windows 95 brings back memories of elementary school. So I would not mind having these loaded onto the same machine and make windows 7 my main I use. Since you can have multiple OSs, I would like to load those for the nostalgia and use windows 7 as the one that is modern but without the pain in the ass that 10 is. XP really was so good, look at how long it was kept going. I would love to keep moth OS on the machine.
be careful about surfing the 'net with windows xp. not sure how the security/virus potential is since the OS is discontinued. maybe get a cheap older laptop/desktop on kijiji (under 50$) if you want to have a computer with windows xp on it.
Sep 16, 2006
669 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
Gee wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:04 pm
It’s a simple task. He claimed to be computer literate. I guess I’m naive to trust him
Yes very simple, however I doubt he knows how to get to the command prompt much less with admin privilidges
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1660 posts
154 upvotes
m4r 1k8
neverhaveiever wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:14 am
I love windows 10. I had a hated passion for 8. But 10 they have come a long way. Window snapping is probably my favorite. sure, they have window snapping before, but it was greatly improved. I find the indexing and searching of your drive is much better now too, it works better than OSX for me atleast (I carry millions of files on my computer as a programmer, OSX really lags and stutters trying to handle it but windows handles it like a champ).

Windows 10 is very stable for me too.

The only thing I would say is pretty valid is the constant updates. I disabled auto updating (it is a registry change when I did it). So now I fully control when I update my computer.
ive never heard a dev ever say that about windows vs osx ... have you tried using terminal?

i cant even dev on windows 10 its such a pain ....
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
2303 posts
707 upvotes
Toronto
ROYinTO wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:05 pm

I'd be tempted to use the Snipping Tool and save the window. Windows + S brings it up pretty quick and you can then "save as".
heyyahblah wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:11 pm
Is snipping tool something new in FCU?
as @aqnd says it has been around for a while. Sorry, I gave the wrong instructions try the Windows key then S then select the snipping tool.
Microsoft instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... creenshots

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)