Computers & Electronics

Anyone else hate windows 10 with a passion?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 8:54 pm
Dec 1, 2010
786 posts
257 upvotes
GTA
aqnd wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:24 pm
Snipping tool has been around since windows 7, perhaps even vista.
Later versions of 10 has windows+shift+s shortcut that jumps right into a snip without needing to open snipping tool first.

They announced the death of paint, only to reverse that after public outcry.
OK, thanks for that information.
ROYinTO wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 9:37 pm
as @aqnd says it has been around for a while. Sorry, I gave the wrong instructions try the Windows key then S then select the snipping tool.
Microsoft instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... creenshots
Yea, I was going to say I tried your instructions earlier and it didn't work, lol but after getting the correct command I see what you mean, thanks for the help!!
Sep 16, 2006
669 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 4:53 pm
I don't mind Windows 10. The nice thing about it is that it was a free upgrade. I don't like the "spyware" side of things with it, but I'm already an Android user and I'm used to that. I would go with Apple or Linux if I could, but I'm a PC gamer so I don't have much choice.

The one thing I really don't like about Windows 10 is the settings interface. It's a mish-mash between the old interface and the new. It seems half baked. Other than that I like the interface and I find that it performs very fast. Actually on older hardware I find it's significantly faster than Windows 7.
There's rarely any need to use the settings interface, which sucks and is for plebs. Classic control panel is still in Win 10. To get to it quickly just type control panel into the text box in next to the start button.
Sep 16, 2006
669 posts
82 upvotes
Pickering
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 3:53 pm
It wasn't you that said it. Mistersprinkles said it. He said it won't work.
It's false.
I never said you couldn't, I said you couldn't without workarounds, which would be outside the scope of an average noob's capabilities.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
1506 posts
193 upvotes
Windows 10 haters = old people reluctant to accept change

You can customize windows 10 with a windows 7 shell if you don’t like how it looks.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4215 posts
429 upvotes
Mississauga
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:10 am
Windows 10 haters = old people reluctant to accept change

You can customize windows 10 with a windows 7 shell if you don’t like how it looks.
how do you do this?
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
I have installed Windows Enterprise version on the laptop to try, because I can disable Auto Update that I hate at dead. I find that Windows 10 is not very stable, have to fix for several peoples because the update never finish (last summer creator update I think).
It happened too on my laptop so I have to restore from the backup image. In my opinion, Windows 10 is a bad product, Windows 7 is much more stable (I'm working in computer domain since more than 20 yrs), if you can avoid Windows 10 so do it and keep Windows 7 or use Windows 2008R2 or Windows 2012 instead

Thomas Tran
Mar 11, 2011
565 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
blexann wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 10:15 am
Yep. Hate all those tiles, I think there's away to make it look like win 7 (forget how)
Install Classic Shell. It's free and you will think you have Windows 7 running.
Apr 2, 2009
827 posts
131 upvotes
Markham
I use Windows7 on my work laptop and Windows10 on my home machines, and I LOVE WIN10.
I love how fast it is, faster than my work laptop, despite the work laptop having much much better specs.
Koodo, Public Mobile client.
Amex, PayTM client.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9772 posts
1025 upvotes
I'm going to guess the update never finished because these people never let them finish. they most likely restart the computer during the process.

Auto-update has its place, that's why on W10PRO and up you (sys admin/network admin) have the ability to disable it.

In general, auto update is much needed for the general public and even some lazy admins. It stops Britiain's NHS randomware from happening...

Not sure why your working in a computer domain for 20 years is relevant...
ThomasTran wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:30 am
I have installed Windows Enterprise version on the laptop to try, because I can disable Auto Update that I hate at dead. I find that Windows 10 is not very stable, have to fix for several peoples because the update never finish (last summer creator update I think).
It happened too on my laptop so I have to restore from the backup image. In my opinion, Windows 10 is a bad product, Windows 7 is much more stable (I'm working in computer domain since more than 20 yrs), if you can avoid Windows 10 so do it and keep Windows 7 or use Windows 2008R2 or Windows 2012 instead

Thomas Tran
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Feb 25, 2009
514 posts
98 upvotes
Montreal
If an update spins for about 2-3 days that means we don't give it enough time. Please do a little search on that problem with Google you will see. It's not happened only with me or only 1 computer.
Windows 10 is really not stable . I just mean that I know very well every version of Windows since the v3.1. I can say that Windows 3.11, NT4 both server and workstation, 2000, XP, 7 , 2008/R2 are very stable.
Windows 10 is one of the worst like Windows Me, Vista
sexyj wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:46 pm
I'm going to guess the update never finished because these people never let them finish. they most likely restart the computer during the process.

Auto-update has its place, that's why on W10PRO and up you (sys admin/network admin) have the ability to disable it.

In general, auto update is much needed for the general public and even some lazy admins. It stops Britiain's NHS randomware from happening...

Not sure why your working in a computer domain for 20 years is relevant...
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9772 posts
1025 upvotes
I've always said it, if you look for something specific on google, you'll find something specific on google. Googling for something doesn't mean it's a wide spread problem...

Here, try googling "windows 7 stuck on update" and see the result you get.

They are probably stable because you never updated them... You are comparing apples and oranges at this point.
ThomasTran wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:27 pm
If an update spins for about 2-3 days that means we don't give it enough time. Please do a little search on that problem with Google you will see. It's not happened only with me or only 1 computer.
Windows 10 is really not stable . I just mean that I know very well every version of Windows since the v3.1. I can say that Windows 3.11, NT4 both server and workstation, 2000, XP, 7 , 2008/R2 are very stable.
Windows 10 is one of the worst like Windows Me, Vista
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
M1K3Z0R wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:11 pm
I'm not a fan of windows 10, mostly because I don't have much use for the heavy web integration and don't like the aesthetics. I'm in the minority though, my usage patterns involve regularly being on a low-bandwith connection and being offline sometimes, I don't want excess net traffic when speed and bandwidth usage are already limited.

Windows 7 does all I need for the time being, there is really no pressing need for me to upgrade until they stop releasing updates for it and it goes the route of WinXP
I am the same regarding the aesthetics. I said how the change in look does not please or impress me. I like how it was looking before. No reason for it to be switched to this. The thin borders look pathetic. Not the 'sharp' they seem to think of it themselves.
Last edited by Ilovejaneandfinch on Nov 6th, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7509 posts
1294 upvotes
Still using Windows 7 and I love it. Using classic shell for windows xp startup menu and internet explorer
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Gee wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:21 pm
I’ve installed Windows 7 on a 7700k, it’s not hard. But not easy for an average user.

If you can’t disable a password, I’m not confident in your ability to install it.
Who said I have to do it?
I went to a computer shop when looking for a laptop. Said they can do it for me. I am in Toronto, not a deserted island. There are other people here ya know.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.