Computers & Electronics

Anyone else hate windows 10 with a passion?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 8:54 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25435 posts
2761 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:53 pm
Who said I have to do it?
I went to a computer shop when looking for a laptop. Said they can do it for me. I am in Toronto, not a deserted island. There are other people here ya know.
Okay, more power to you buddy.
Dec 7, 2015
414 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:49 pm
. The thin borders look pathetic. Not the 'sharp' they seem to think of it themselves.
If you have even a minor visual impairment, you'll find these aspects of modern UI design are atrocious. After all the spyware, this is the main reason I abandoned Win10 (with the exception of one dual boot machine with applications I can't get to run in Linux).
Dec 7, 2015
414 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:10 am
Windows 10 haters = old people reluctant to accept change
Old farts don't like change so they switch to Linux/BSD to avoid change. Got it... makes perfect sense.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25435 posts
2761 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
willilumplump wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:26 pm
Old farts don't like change so they switch to Linux/BSD to avoid change. Got it... makes perfect sense.
Who are you calling an old fart? Winking Face

Why did you decide to dual boot instead of running Windows in Virtual Box?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
danron1376 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 8:09 pm
be careful about surfing the 'net with windows xp. not sure how the security/virus potential is since the OS is discontinued. maybe get a cheap older laptop/desktop on kijiji (under 50$) if you want to have a computer with windows xp on it.
yes I can get one of those ibm thinkpads for that too. Those laptops have xp.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10476 posts
3793 upvotes
So OP you love Jane and Finch but you hate Windows 10. Sounds like a bit of a love hate relationship. Maybe you should install Linux.
I am a Zoomer customer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
SickBeast wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:35 pm
So OP you love Jane and Finch but you hate Windows 10. Sounds like a bit of a love hate relationship. Maybe you should install Linux.
No. Install Windows 7. You know I like it. I don't need anything else.
And I don't like Jane and finch anymore either lol
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1751 posts
744 upvotes
Saint John
I'm happy with it on all my machines. The fact that you can get virtually free licenses from all old broken/unused 7/8 licenses - recycling people - is the icing on the cake.
Dec 7, 2015
414 posts
78 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Gee wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 5:46 pm
Who are you calling an old fart? Winking Face
Myself
Why did you decide to dual boot instead of running Windows in Virtual Box?
Path of least resistance - zero learning curve.
Jan 12, 2008
829 posts
139 upvotes
I've had a pretty inconsistent experience with Win10 and really am considering rolling back to Win7. Hear me out, I'm a tinkerer and not some pleb who is resistant to changing OS.

I have had serious issues with gaming performance on win10 versions. The only stable version I have found is 1511. I was forced to update to 1607, I found major stuttering in games as well as CPU spiking and overheating. Drivers were up to date. I reverted back with a fresh reinstall of 1511 in Jan 2017.

Then all is well until a month ago. I noticed a new folder windows10upgrade and that I would get daily reminders to update. I would continue to push remind me later. Then a new prompt forced me to schedule an update time. Then one day a prompt gave me no choice besides update now. So it forced me to update to 1703. My god, this one was awful for gaming. On 1511, I could get a good average of 60 fps @1440p on a Rx480 for pubg. It was smooth and fine. On 1703, I had major lag, as in it would refresh my screen every 10 seconds. I even asked my friends in lobby how many seconds were on their screen. I was a full 10 seconds behind. I was dead in game before I even knew it. My amd drivers were up to date. The game was unplayable on 1703. The update also messed up all my sound profiles somehow. It went from headphones to some kind of odd speaker set up sound being pushed through my headphones. Also on 1511, I could play a game, have a twitch stream running and have multiple chrome tabs open on my 2nd monitor. On 1703, it was downscaling the streams to 360p like my connection was crap (I have 150mbps so I don't think that's the issue). I couldn't have anything else open. It was something I've never seen before. I couldn't play games, I couldn't multitask at all. I went through 3 AMD drivers and retesting. Nothing worked.

I decided to roll back to 1511 and within 10 min, all of my issues were fixed. I was able to play right away lag free and multitask as I did previosly. Decided to set my update option to metered in the registry, to avoid the forced update, so far it has worked. But I get a update pop up every night now, but I take solace that at least I have a machine that works and is stable. If it forces me again, I'm going back to my win 7 install disk.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1472 posts
446 upvotes
Really hate Creator's Update - sound is making popping sounds with Realtek audio and there is no fix.
Feb 6, 2011
966 posts
529 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 12:36 pm
Here is yet another thing that adds to my point and brought up by people now. Forced update. Yes it is bull crap to not have control over YOUR COMPUTER. This is not THEIR device. it is yours. But they make you have what THEY want. Not YOU. I am sick of being constantly pestered for updates. My needs hardly even change. I don't need any of this ****.
I thought you don't own the software, Microsoft owns it. You just have the license to use it. So they can do whatever updates or spying they want on your device. Maybe switch to Linux if you don't like it.

I like 10 except for the bundled software, but you can remove that. Otherwise it's been trouble free
Aug 5, 2016
12 posts
3 upvotes
Mistersprinkles wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 11:46 pm
There's rarely any need to use the settings interface, which sucks and is for plebs. Classic control panel is still in Win 10. To get to it quickly just type control panel into the text box in next to the start button.
This is blatantly wrong. Numerous items have moved exclusively to the settings app such as defender settings, update settings, and many display settings. You can't get them from control panel.
Aug 5, 2016
12 posts
3 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:10 am
Windows 10 haters = old people reluctant to accept change

You can customize windows 10 with a windows 7 shell if you don’t like how it looks.
I'm actually a 30 year old software developer who develops for and works with Win 10 on a daily basis. Congratulations on your ignorance.