Personal Finance

Anyone else have bad experiences with Scotiabank?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 5:12 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
431 upvotes
BC

Anyone else have bad experiences with Scotiabank?

I deal with these guys and over two branches, most staff are ...

Anyway I would NEVER recommend this institution, but see that they have record profits, so presumably many people are banking with them. Is it just me or has anyone else had crap experiences with Scotia?
83 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
272 upvotes
Yes I've had a problem with them too. Before to market crash post 911 I asked my advisor there if I should be cashing out; she told me no as I was in it for the long run. At that time I didn't quite understand finances as I do now. In the end it cost me 80k if the proper advice was given.

After that I started researching finances and I'm much better off since leaving scotiabank. I'll never go back
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1279 posts
438 upvotes
ON
Yeah I don't like them either. From the very start they have been impossible to deal with. If you have any type of issue you will have to go to your home branch to fix it. It's ridiculous. They aren't so bad at my home branch, but why do I need to go in there... this isn't the 20th century.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
2895 posts
1074 upvotes
The best way to describe them when you have an issue- useless
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2015
2573 posts
431 upvotes
BC
Thoroughly awful, mpt. Good for you that you know better now! Go mpt!

Thanks, guys, I was wondering.

OK So my description is that they are generally incompetent, well meaning but not effective, incompetent and in some cases unfriendly. I went to West Hastings branch (which is supposed to be their MAIN branch) and complained to the branch manager and she was simply rude. I find the bank to be the oddest, most useless bank, so I was just curious.

dgnr8 said the same thing but more succintly I guess.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
4746 posts
336 upvotes
Gloucester, Canada
I used to hate them for their banking hours... 8-4. The big branches now have better hours but the small one near my house still serving at 8-4 and no weekends. My last dealing with them is the Scotia Momentum card. Since I didn't have an account with them, I have to go to their branch to pick up the visa card. Most bank would just require you to show up and you could get the card from the bank teller. But Not Scotia Bank. They need me to schedule an appointment with their financial adviser. It was during the RRSP season so it took me a while to booked an appointment. I was like, why can't I just get it from the teller? I'll have my driver license if they need to verify who I am before giving me the card. But they refuse and insist I booked an appointment with the financial adviser. I am glad I no longer have any accounts with them.
Cityfone & Public Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
3596 posts
1029 upvotes
on the links
mpt wrote:
Jun 17th, 2015 11:58 pm
Before to market crash post 911 I asked my advisor there if I should be cashing out; she told me no as I was in it for the long run.
You're upset that your Scotia rep didn't predict the World Trade Center attacks??
Feb 10, 2015
604 posts
224 upvotes
If you ask a large group of people if they have had a bad experience with XXXX you are bound to get many responses that confirm your position.
Mar 14, 2015
242 posts
25 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I've dealt with nothing but incompetence except one person in regards to my student line of credit. One person that worked at the branch always got things straightened away for me.
Everyone else was clueless about the Student Line of Credit it seemed, and the branch apparently didn't communicate with the loan center so my files didn't match up and they both had my graduation dates wrong even after attempting to update it on many occassions
Sep 26, 2009
120 posts
14 upvotes
I got twisted by Scotiabank a few years ago. They charged $100 when I closed a small RRSP, they said it was two plans. So they lost me as a customer forever, even though their branch is the closest to my house.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2067 posts
653 upvotes
Edmonton
dgnr8 wrote:
Jun 18th, 2015 12:20 am
The best way to describe them when you have an issue- useless
+1.

Don't get me started on this!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2067 posts
653 upvotes
Edmonton
I fear that Tangerine will face a similar fate in due course.
Mar 3, 2015
698 posts
92 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
i have 2 credit cards with them and have been wonderfull exprience above my expectations.

i have terrible exprience with rbc cibc bmo td on branch level. and they all declined me chance for me to establish credit history when i became pe*****ant resident 2012 even though had $0 debt and rbc and bmo had guts to even decline secured one.

thanks scotia for giving me chance to prove my self.