Personal Finance

Anyone else have bad experiences with Scotiabank?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 5:12 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
5510 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
nmclean wrote:
Jun 19th, 2015 2:23 pm
I see that you were indeed a perfect fit as a BMO telephone banking representative.
This made me LOL. Thanked!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16483 posts
2141 upvotes
gta_guy wrote:
Jun 18th, 2015 5:54 pm
They are the worst of the Big 5 in my opinion. They ask you to visit "your home" branch for everything and their employees give you impression that they hate their jobs lol
I do all my banking over e-mail and the phone with my PBO. I don't see what the issue is...
Jan 4, 2013
23 posts
22 upvotes
You could throw this thread up on any of the big 5 and have a ton of people hating on each bank - its like any company and its run by people. Some people are ***** and some people aren't - when you have 10's of thousands of employees you can't pick 100% good ones. When you have millions of customers you are going to have a lot of haters - this isn't specific to Scotiabank.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2014
2170 posts
329 upvotes
Mississauga
Gregster23 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2015 12:37 pm
You could throw this thread up on any of the big 5 and have a ton of people hating on each bank - its like any company and its run by people. Some people are ***** and some people aren't - when you have 10's of thousands of employees you can't pick 100% good ones. When you have millions of customers you are going to have a lot of haters - this isn't specific to Scotiabank.
That is not true. The archaic banking system is one of the reason people hate these banks.
Oh sada kehra bapu karda black nee, Jehra tere shahir (Toronto), Le lawan flat nee
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1626 posts
288 upvotes
With Scotiabank, I never understood why everything had to be done and discussed at the "home branch". I'm glad that I don't have any dealing with them anymore.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
170 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I've always used them and continue to, although savings and investments are with other banks (including Tangerine).

The biggest issue I had was that they moved a non-registered GIC into an RRSP without my permission or without informing me. So when the GIC matured they pulled "oh, well you can't do that! It's an RRSP and you can't move it or withdraw it until you retire!" I got the President's office involved and it was resolved. I don't blame it on "Scotiabank" I blame it on that specific branch.
Aug 16, 2011
243 posts
154 upvotes
TORONTO
Being a credit card customer, this bank is *****. I'm not sure why they require you to go to the branch to pick up your credit card and they never even called me so I had to call their call center three times to figure out where the hell my credit card was. And their online system is a piece of ***** that takes days and sometimes even weeks to update available credit and post transactions.
Jan 4, 2013
23 posts
22 upvotes
Its not true? So if you asked if anyone disliked TD or CIBC you think the thread would be empty? Because thats what I was saying...
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16483 posts
2141 upvotes
kulb wrote:
Jun 21st, 2015 1:25 pm
With Scotiabank, I never understood why everything had to be done and discussed at the "home branch". I'm glad that I don't have any dealing with them anymore.
You can always do business over the phone or e-mail - that's what I do.
Dec 6, 2010
400 posts
68 upvotes
kulb wrote:
Jun 21st, 2015 1:25 pm
I agree 100%......this is what turns me away too.....I have never had TD open their mouth about home branch. In this day and age "home branch" should be irrelevant.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1723 posts
924 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
Gregster23 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2015 12:23 am
Its not true? So if you asked if anyone disliked TD or CIBC you think the thread would be empty? Because thats what I was saying...
You were saying two things - that, and the reason why it's true. The latter is not necessarily true, because there are plenty of reasons to dislike these guys that have nothing to do with their employees.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
1277 posts
438 upvotes
ON
Agreed, Scotia's biggest problem seems to be their antiquated systems and business practices and processes revolving around these systems.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
1626 posts
288 upvotes
gta_guy wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2015 10:54 am
I agree 100%......this is what turns me away too.....I have never had TD open their mouth about home branch. In this day and age "home branch" should be irrelevant.
Same with BMO. In my 10 years with them, they never asked me to go back to the "home branch".

I would never deal with Scotiabank for anything.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7710 posts
3556 upvotes
Toronto
Skyra22 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2015 2:00 pm
Being a credit card customer, this bank is *****. I'm not sure why they require you to go to the branch to pick up your credit card and they never even called me so I had to call their call center three times to figure out where the hell my credit card was. And their online system is a piece of ***** that takes days and sometimes even weeks to update available credit and post transactions.
i had my credit card mailed to my home, i do everything online. never had any problems.