Careers

Anyone else looking at a career as an airline pilot?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2018 7:41 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3838 posts
326 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone else looking at a career as an airline pilot?

I've been in an industry for 15 years. It's something that i honestly do not enjoy. Looking for a career change. One of my passions is flying. I fly a lot. I live travel. So my friend told me I should be an airline pilot. This got me intrigued so I did some research.

Looks like the schooling is pretty damn expensive. Should cost me a good 30k in 2-3 years full time before I can get my commercial pilot license. Then got to log hours on my belt before any airline would even consider me as a 1st Officer. I'd probably be applying at Asian and middle eastern airlines due to their great compensation and perks.

Just wondering if anyone else is looking into the path of a commercial aviation career because it's not exactly a career many discuss here
8 replies
Jun 29, 2012
113 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I had considered it. Out of high school I had two options; get into IT or become a pilot as I was interested in both. I ended up in the former and used the proceeds to get my license. I now fly for fun.

Yes, it is pretty expensive and then, as you said, you need to get the hours and ratings. Many people become instructors or move North/out of the country to get those hours. Africa is a popular destination I've heard. Some airlines do provide a cadet program but it usually has an age limit to enter. You can check it out. It isn't an easy road to get into the majors but if you keep at it, it can be a rewarding career.

I simply love the fact that I can drive to an airport, park my car, hop in a plane and go flying. It is my stress reliever and the money was well spent!
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1346 posts
359 upvotes
My sister in law is a pilot. Took forever to log enough hours to get to apply for a big airline (not sure the minimums in other countries).
I know that to log hours you get paid next to nothing in most cases because they know you need hours so the pay is crap.
Once you get in, you get to live on the seniority merry-go-round taking flights when you can.
That's just what I know from 1st hand observation here in Canada, again a different country may be easier/better.
Alex
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22165 posts
8813 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm near sighted...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
5233 posts
2536 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Join the Air Force to become a pilot if they'll have you. You get paid while you get your training.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2585 posts
661 upvotes
I haven't heard of anything in the works, but isn't this an industry that is ripe for some type of automation ?
That won't eliminate the need for pilots but can significantly reduce the demand.

the military is using remote-controlled drones by the thousands now. And their next goal / step is unmanned fighters and bombers.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3880 posts
785 upvotes
Toronto
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 4:49 pm
I haven't heard of anything in the works, but isn't this an industry that is ripe for some type of automation ?
That won't eliminate the need for pilots but can significantly reduce the demand.

the military is using remote-controlled drones by the thousands now. And their next goal / step is unmanned fighters and bombers.
People are already scared of flying despite the statistics (of flying having a much lower fatality rate than driving etc.). You're not going to get the average person to pay to be onboard a robo-pilot plane anytime soon. I'd say cargo will come first, and then a long time before people.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2047 posts
897 upvotes
The NORTH
Manatus wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 6:59 pm
People are already scared of flying despite the statistics (of flying having a much lower fatality rate than driving etc.). You're not going to get the average person to pay to be onboard a robo-pilot plane anytime soon. I'd say cargo will come first, and then a long time before people.
I don't think you'll ever get a regulator to unman a commerical flight. Someone has to be there in case...
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1489 posts
111 upvotes
richmondhill
my best friend is a pilot with aircanada...he started off getting his hours with dropping off skydivers in Arthur...than went up north ...for a job to get hours, night rating....than cargo plane...went to airchina. for a bit..sunwing, jetsco,,royal....than aircanada was first officer for a long time...than within aircanada switched to rouge where he is in the left seat..making right now 180,000
well worth it..with lots of perks,,cheap flights everywhere if you can do stanby

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)