Anyone ever fight a Speeding Ticket

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2006 5:12 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 12, 2005
34 posts

Anyone ever fight a Speeding Ticket

Jusy wonder if anyone has any experience fighting speeding tickets in court.

I was driving from Toronto to Montreal and received a speeding ticket for doing 135 km/h. I do not deny speeding but I was going faster because I was late for a wedding, and because of a huge traffic jam in Toronto on the 401 I was already behind schedule.

I know the usual police officer show or no show has its benefits but is it possible to plead my case to the judge (I also have a clean record) and obtain sympathy for either a reduced fine or even a dismissal? Any Thoughts?
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
There's a topic on this alread. Lots actually. use the search.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2001
1103 posts
Speeding is speeding. I don't believe there are any exceptions.

I don't know about you, but I believe in the laws, and they should be strict. :!:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
If you got your speeding ticket in the Bellville/Kingston area, then you might as well just pay up and chalk it up as a learning experience. This is a well known speed trap. There are fixed points along the highway where cops hide and they pick off numerous drivers. The JP is extremely friendly to the OPP there and they work together for the township generating lots of revenue to not only keep the court house humming but also benefit the local economy as well.

It is basically an assembly-line like toll booth. The system works well. The cop is 95% certain to be there so the JP can collect the toll.

The only thing you'll learn by fighting it (ie. going to court) is the location of their hideout. But, that means driving all the way there again and risk another lesson. If you decide to spread your money around a bit more and let other people get rich too, then hire a paralegal.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
I've got 3 speeding tickets since I got my license (10 years now) and I've "fought" every one of them. I didn't argue that I shouldn't have got it, I think I just gave my reasons for speeding and said that I really couldn't afford the ticket. One time the ticket was dismissed, one time it was reduced by over half, and another time no dollar amount was taken off but no demerits were issued.

Fight it. At the very least you'll increase your knowledge of how the court system works in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
jackboot wrote:I've got 3 speeding tickets since I got my license (10 years now) and I've "fought" every one of them. I didn't argue that I shouldn't have got it, I think I just gave my reasons for speeding and said that I really couldn't afford the ticket. Every time the ticket was dismissed, one time it was reduced by over half, and another time no dollar amount was taken off but no demerits were issued.

Fight it. At the very least you'll increase your knowledge of how the court system works in Canada.
Not paying a fine is not the same as not being guilty. You can not pay anything ans still get dinged for a driving infraction. I.E. Get a $300 ticket. Court says pay $150. Your still convicted of speeding, just to a lesser fine.

'Reduced by over half' does not mean it's dismissed. Your guilty of speeding, just paying half the fine. Ask your insurance to do a check up on your driving record.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2005
1686 posts
109 upvotes
dougi3000 wrote:Speeding is speeding. I don't believe there are any exceptions.

I don't know about you, but I believe in the laws, and they should be strict. :!:

have you ever driven on a major highway? or driven at all?

if you did, then you would know that the regular flow of traffic is at 120-130km/h. If you are going below the regular speed of traffic (i.e. doing 100km/h) as to impede other drivers then you are breaking the law. I remember a while while back there was an article in the Toronto star. This guy got a ticket for doing 120km/h on the 401 (busiest highway in Canada) where the speed limit is 100km/h. He argued in court that it was the regular speed on the 401 but was convicted anyways. To make a point, he grabbed a buddy and the two of them drove on a two lane section of the 401 at 100km/h on the dot, causing a traffic jam. For his troubles, the guy and his buddy both got arrested and now have a criminal record for some silly charge.

when it comes to highway driving, especially in an area such as Toronto, there isn't a single person that actually drives at 100km/h, unless you count traffic. Hell, in most cases unless you're doing 30+ over they won't even blink an eye.

based on your post, I assume you've never jay walked, littered, did anything that was against the law? Many laws are archaic and don't reflect modern conventions, or just plain common sense. Heck in many states, it's still against the law to jam it up someone's poopshute.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1737 posts
565 upvotes
Short of the officer not showing up; contesting a speeding ticket and winning is pretty rare.

If you have the time avaible to take off work; you might as well go and meet the prosecutor (first attendance meeting). In all probability they'll reduce the speed and fine since the current fine must be several hundred?

Keep in mind that even if it is reduced the insurance company will probably hold it against you. Since a ticket at 1 over is the same as going 49 over.

Oh; the Justice of the peace/the prosecutor/the officer don't really care for your sob story. Since doing 35 over on the 401 is borderding on reckless behaviour.
bunga wrote:have you ever driven on a major highway? or driven at all?

if you did, then you would know that the regular flow of traffic is at 120-130km/h. If you are going below the regular speed of traffic (i.e. doing 100km/h) as to impede other drivers then you are breaking the law.
Your confusing the flow of traffic with people that go beyond the flow. True that the average speed of drivers in the far right lanes travel above the speed limit (120 kmh) and in most cases a police officer will not cherry pick one of these cars and give them a ticket. It's the person in the left lane that's doing 125 that will get the ticket deservingly.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2005
2276 posts
47 upvotes
Narci wrote:Not paying a fine is not the same as not being guilty. You can not pay anything ans still get dinged for a driving infraction. I.E. Get a $300 ticket. Court says pay $150. Your still convicted of speeding, just to a lesser fine.

'Reduced by over half' does not mean it's dismissed. Your guilty of speeding, just paying half the fine. Ask your insurance to do a check up on your driving record.
I made a mistake in my post - I edited it to replace the word "every" with "one". It should make more sense now.

Regardless, in my case the demerits haven't mattered because I have ended up having only 2 tickets on my record in 10 years - not enough to make a difference for insurance.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2002
3341 posts
5 upvotes
search this forum... it has been discussed a few times before.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
jackboot wrote:I made a mistake in my post - I edited it to replace the word "every" with "one". It should make more sense now.

Regardless, in my case the demerits haven't mattered because I have ended up having only 2 tickets on my record in 10 years - not enough to make a difference for insurance.
No worries, jsut wanted to clear up any misconceptions.

Insurance companies don't look at demerit points. Demerit points are used by the province to determine whether you keep your license or not. That's it.

Insurance doesn't care how much you pay in fines, the government does. (cash cow)

Insurance cares about the actual infraction itself and conviction.

BTW this is in Ontario, I know BC operates differently and possible other provinces.
Banned
Nov 9, 2004
468 posts
Just out of curiosity. If you get nailed by OPP for an Ontario traffic infraction can you ask to have the case heard in an Ontario court close to your home and not where the infraction occurred.

This makes a court date more viable for the defendant.

.... also increases the probability the cop won't show up

Z
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
7432 posts
2245 upvotes
Etobicoke
zzidaric wrote:Just out of curiosity. If you get nailed by OPP for an Ontario traffic infraction can you ask to have the case heard in an Ontario court close to your home and not where the infraction occurred.

This makes a court date more viable for the defendant.

.... also increases the probability the cop won't show up

Z
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You will be summoned to the traffic court local to the ticketing spot.
Aug 12, 2005
34 posts
Just thought I would give a status update. The court reduced my fine by $130. Thought it worked out pretty well.
Feb 22, 2006
811 posts
508 upvotes
Good stuff. I would always fight the ticket if dermit points were involded or I felt that taking time off from work was worth it.

I know people say x-coppers are good but to hell with them, they'll do the same thing if you just went in with your game face on.

To the people who preach about speeding, be silent, you have and you will speed in the future. Be even bother in trying to make excuses, everyone is guily of doing it, including myself.
Banned
Jul 5, 2005
352 posts
X-Coppers are just retired cops. My mom got a speeding ticket, I took it to the local X-Coppers and the guy that I highered to fight my ticket was friends and at one point had been partnered with the guy who gave my mom the ticket.

Needless to say, the ticket was thrown out.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2004
2211 posts
5 upvotes
dougi3000 wrote:Speeding is speeding. I don't believe there are any exceptions.

In that case, I hope you turn yourself in everytime you go 1kph over the limit.