Shopping Discussion

Anyone ever ordered from Amazon.ca? Any duty/custom fees?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2013 3:11 am
Tags:
None
Jan 21, 2013
421 posts
35 upvotes
Halifax
Amazon.com sometimes charge duties....but can't see .ca where already in Canada
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15043 posts
748 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Mar 11th, 2013 9:21 pm
Good info here. Unusually avoid the marketplace stuff because its confusing and impossible to know where it's actually shipping from.
+1 The annoying thing is the US Amazon.com is smart enough to charge Canadians duties upon checkout for products they selllso we know what the final cost is but the actual Canadian site can't do that for us.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3390 posts
383 upvotes
Aurora
Clicking on the link you provide, it looks like you're getting royally ripped off. It clearly says taxes included in the price and 5.95 shipping.

CBS usually doesn't contact Internet shoppers directly looking for unpaid taxes or duties, at least in my experience.

Don't pay an extra dime beyond what is indicated on the site/your invoice. Contact Maple Leaf Photo then contact Amazon, ask what the hll is going on.
That's the end of my rant.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8217 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
Update??
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9652 posts
451 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> Good info here. Unusually avoid the marketplace stuff because its confusing and impossible to know where it's actually shipping from.

It's only confusing/impossible if the seller blatantly lies about where it is shipping from. Not Amazon's fault. Did you look at the product page?

In Stock. Ships from QC, Canada.
Domestic shipping rates and return policy.
TAXES INCLUDED IN PRICE!!
---- Brand new and ready to ship from CANADA
(assuming the dude bought it from Maple Leaf Liars)
Feb 11, 2011
190 posts
28 upvotes
But no seriously, since the item condition is stated as shipping from Quebec, it is supposed to have shipped from Quebec. The seller may or may not have inputted the tracking number online into your order information when s/he marked it as Complete. If s/he didn't, message the seller and request the tracking number so that you have online documentation direct from the seller that your item corresponds to that specific tracking number, then report that to Amazon's customer support by pointing out the item status originated in the U.S. (cite the seller message if you have to message him or her to get the tracking number)
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
Sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if the OP could update on the outcome. I was looking to order a lens from Maple Leaf Photo but read some reviews that stated that the order shipped from the US and they too were hit with customs fees despite the product listing clearly stating the product ships from Canada. I came here to get some feedback and came across this thread.

Rabbit, you seem to have strong opinions on this, care to elaborate on your experience? Did anyone report them to Amazon? It is really disheartening to see that Amazon continues to let this seller sell product stating it ships from Canada if it does not. That is a material factor when choosing a seller. It really makes me question purchasing anything from the Amazon Marketplace.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9652 posts
451 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I've pretty much only ordered CDs from Amazon Marketplace, so those fly under the radar in terms of customs. I haven't had to complain to Amazon about a seller, so I don't know how they handle one of their Marketplace sellers. Who knows if the reviewers actually contacted Amazon directly to complain. I would think that if they did, they would mention this in their review.

Unlike the other dude, I don't think it is confusing at all. I've seen sellers specifically say that they are shipping from US/UK/etc. And I trust Amazon Marketplace more than eBay (except for Maple Leaf Liars :) ).
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1957 upvotes
Rabbit, you keep referring to them as Maple Leaf Liars, can you explain why? If you don't want to post it here, can you PM me? I want to buy a lens and they have the best price plus taxes are all included but obviously I don't want to buy from a company that states it ships from Canada but ships from the US so that I get hit with duties etc. The fact that you keep referring to them as Maple Leaf Liars also causes great concern.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9652 posts
451 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Why Maple Leaf Liars? As you wrote above: "I was looking to order a lens from Maple Leaf Photo but read some reviews that stated that the order shipped from the US and they too were hit with customs fees despite the product listing clearly stating the product ships from Canada."

Isn't that enough reason to call them liars?

The dude who started this post bought a $1000+ lens, and assuming he bought from Maple Leaf Photo, it said that they were shipping from Canada (they're no longer selling the product, but I checked when this thread was originally started). That's $200 worth of lies. (If he bought it from someone else, than I take back what I said about Maple Leaf Photo.)

Interesting ... I looked at a couple of products that Maple Leaf Photo is selling, and it says "Fulfilled by Amazon" now. Checking out their reviews now ... a couple of 1/5 stars, complaining about the goods being shipped from the US :D .

If the product you're interested in is Fulfilled by Amazon, it should be safe, but if not, I wouldn't risk it. Just saying.
× < >