Personal Finance

Anyone ever receive a MoneyGram from someone?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2012 2:39 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes

Anyone ever receive a MoneyGram from someone?

Just wondering what MoneyGram receipts show on them...I was planning on sending money to a friend overseas but i wanted to keep my personal address information that might be on that MoneyGram "Send Money" form from being visible on his end overseas.

So does this MoneyGram receipt he gets when he picks up the money show the MoneyGram location where i sent the money from, and/or my personal address information that i provide to create the moneygram (to send money)?

I called their customer service desk and they weren't sure if it shows or not which is why i figured it was best to ask someone who has received money this way.
10 replies
Jul 29, 2009
201 posts
3 upvotes
i cant remember for sure but I do not think it shoes a mailing a address just a city
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
craigsol wrote: i cant remember for sure but I do not think it shoes a mailing a address just a city

When you say "city" do you mean the city in which the money was sent from, or the city in which the money is arriving to (the pickup city)?
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
hotdawg100 wrote: send one to yourself and see...

Sadly to do so will cost me a minimum $50 fee on top to find that out....which is why i am asking.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
Pretty sure your address gets written right on to the money order (by you, I assume). I'm sure you could put the address of the place you're sending it from? But, why hide your address from a 'friend' who wants money from you?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
hvc wrote: Pretty sure your address gets written right on to the money order (by you, I assume). I'm sure you could put the address of the place you're sending it from? But, why hide your address from a 'friend' who wants money from you?

That's what I was asking myself yesterday but I didn't reply...

Some "firend" you have there if you don't want him to know where you live. You sure you didn't befriend a Nigerian Prince and you are unsure if you are being scammed or not? :P

Sorry OP but you have to admit it's kind of weird to be asking something like this.
Aug 3, 2010
362 posts
139 upvotes
TripleHelix wrote: That's what I was asking myself yesterday but I didn't reply...

Some "firend" you have there if you don't want him to know where you live. You sure you didn't befriend a Nigerian Prince and you are unsure if you are being scammed or not? :P

Sorry OP but you have to admit it's kind of weird to be asking something like this.
hvc wrote: Pretty sure your address gets written right on to the money order (by you, I assume). I'm sure you could put the address of the place you're sending it from? But, why hide your address from a 'friend' who wants money from you?

Funny that you both aren't putting any thought into this. No problem. I'll help you out. SIMPLE ANSWER...Because if that receipt gets lost (tossed away) and some scammer picks it up then they have my personal information to contact me (and/or the Moneygram office i sent from) to do some damage. Pure commonsense. I'll give you the benefit because you probably didn't think it through. So its not about my friend not seeing my personal info (he already knows it obviously and can/will use it from memory as verification on his end)..its the unknown person who might see it as a printout too. Maybe a little paranoid but i value my privacy when it can potentially be stolen outside intended recipients.

My guess is Moneygram (and Western Union) are smart enough and so have put some thought into it to realize this huge problem and rightfully hide personal information of the sender on the receiver side. Sadly customer service people aren't very well trained to give an answer beyond an "i don't know".

Anyway, i hope this answer helps you both become a little more wiser (and safer).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2010
7556 posts
6834 upvotes
brand404 wrote: ...useless rant...

I answered your question. The way you worded your OP made it seem as if you didn't want them to know your address, which is why I posed the question that I did. You're preaching to the choir, buddy. And a choir who is already much wiser (and safer) than yourself.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
brand404 wrote: Funny [...] and safer).
brand404 wrote: I was planning on sending money to a friend overseas but i wanted to keep my personal address information that might be on that MoneyGram "Send Money" form from being visible on his end overseas.
If you relayed your concerns better, perhaps people may not draw the wrong conclusions.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)