Careers

anyone ever work for brinks/armoured car personnel?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 11th, 2016 8:14 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
34247 posts
1457 upvotes
Toronto

anyone ever work for brinks/armoured car personnel?

IS being an armoured car employee really that dangerous?
yah yah.. ppl say they get killed shot up all the time... but is it really true?
    [url=http://tinyurl.com/lbqqav3][size=100][B]
  • Urbanpoet's lottery pool is BACK![/B][/size][/url]
  • 2 Corinthians 5:7 "We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight."
43 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6323 posts
40 upvotes
They get held up more than the news is allowed to print...however shot at? Thats a pretty rare occurance..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7736 posts
3645 upvotes
Spray wrote:They get held up more than the news is allowed to print...however shot at? Thats a pretty rare occurance..
Unless you live in the states and watch Americas Most Wanted lol :lol:

However, up here in Canada, things are much more better than in the states I guess. Some of them do have a pretty cool job; if anyone watched the apprentice last night, they know what I am talking about (guarding a multi-million dollar diamond filled safe)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3897 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
I think the better question is:

Anyone working for armoured car and wants to make some extra money? :D
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9346 posts
2767 upvotes
Ottawa
I worked for Brinks for 6 months and quit after. Not because i was scare of the dangers which there are obviously and you don't underestimate that but because of the crazy hours and low pay and an unhealthy environment.

There are a few armored companies in Ontario, namely Securicor, Brinks, Garda etc. It's a good starting point for people who want to head down law enforcement paths, I know a lot of guys have moved on to be cops or something else like RCMP or the government so it's worth a shot, pardon the pun.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2005
2431 posts
4 upvotes
Sonic Temple
The pay is low for the ongoing risk. Unless you are continuing on in law enforcement, there are better paying job out there for the skillset.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
11327 posts
751 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah, the pay I hear is pretty low for amount of risk these guys are willing to take!

C'mon..its not a typical security guard job..
HEATware |

[shortened link removed]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9346 posts
2767 upvotes
Ottawa
weedb0y wrote:Yeah, the pay I hear is pretty low for amount of risk these guys are willing to take!

C'mon..its not a typical security guard job..
Well just be thankful that you don't work as a Brinks guard in the States. I watched a training video and the guards down there had their guns in ONE of their hands and the suitcase of money or banknotes or whatever in the other hand.

I wouldn't blame them or any policy they have to follow. I'd rather shoot first then ask any questions later.

But like i said this is a good starting point or stepping stone if you plan to head down law enforcement career paths. Not for me though that's why I bowed out but the experience was certainly invaluable.

Cheers.
Please contact for $-saving tips prior to purchasing Mattamy/Monarch homes in Ottawa.
Dec 6, 2005
634 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
my friend worked for brinks but he quit 6 months after, he said that it wasn't worth risking his life for. he didn't like the fact that he was trying to protect someone elses money.

and the hours are horrible its usually during 12 - morning
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1123 posts
56 upvotes
Pay is better than regular security gigs but it's not as much as you think when it comes to that kinda job.

Since it's unionized, they work on scales as the years progress and is also based on how long you've been employed with them and what position you're doing, driving, guarding or courier. The range is about $15 - $22 per hour, with benefits and a guarantee of 40 hrs per week for FT. Shifts are usually during the day (since they really don't wanna transport money in the dead of night) but there are overnight and weekend shifts, depending on the schedule, you can start as early as 6AM or as late as 10PM.

All new hires start PT and are allowed a maximum of about 35 hrs per week, but since there are a lot of shift to be covered, PT people get a lot of OT hrs too. Then when you get a FT position, you can make a lot more by taking OT shifts, there have been times where people make $70 000 to $100 000 per year because they take every shift they're offered (due to OT).

As for risk, it's out there, but the last holdup was 2 years ago in the Jane/Finch area, but nothing since then. In fact, Securicor has had way more robberies in the last 6 months than Brinks had in that 2 years! I dunno if you heard, but a Securicor truck was hijacked and nearly $15 mil was taken... along with the truck!

And yes, it's an awesome thing to have on a resume if you wanna pursue policing or something related to that.
Apr 2, 2004
938 posts
5 upvotes
does anyone know how long it takes to get that firearm licence you need? i was reading the job opportunities on securicor and brinks websites and it says you need it before you apply.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9346 posts
2767 upvotes
Ottawa
impronto wrote:does anyone know how long it takes to get that firearm licence you need? i was reading the job opportunities on securicor and brinks websites and it says you need it before you apply.
The way it worked for me is i signed up for the gun class at a local community centre, it's a 2-day course I believe that involved some theories and some practical work with guns (no bulletts though), they just wanna know how safe you can handle guns and things like that

I then filled out the application for the PAL (previously known as FAC I think) and at the same time i applied for Brinks. So while the government was examining my application for the gun licence and verifying info and doing criminal and background checks, Brinks is probably doing the same thing and i think i got the gun licence just a lil bit before i got the phone call for an interview and the rest is just history.

No time wasted.
Jan 10, 2006
217 posts
Markham
ive heard brink is the only company that allows the "guards" to carry a gun. so if ur planning to get into that field at least go into one that can offer u some defence/protection
Feb 21, 2006
112 posts
mr_smartman wrote:ive heard brink is the only company that allows the "guards" to carry a gun. so if ur planning to get into that field at least go into one that can offer u some defence/protection

not true securicor lets u carrya gat too
Apr 2, 2004
938 posts
5 upvotes
does brinks hire 18 year old guys? who dont look tooo intimidating? i want to get a job like this for the summer maybe? do they hire for the summer? like 4 months..? thanks
× < >