• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2013 9:23 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
111 posts
4 upvotes

Anyone experienced with ANVEO?

I know there are are dozens of threads about VOIP providers, and I've gone through them all.

Im a bit overwhelmed and confused. One option appealed to me.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with ANVEO?

They seem a good deal:
  • no charge for porting my number (with one year pre-pay)
  • no setup costs
  • provide my own ATA (OBI100 recommended) and free device configuration
  • $2.00/month for 2 incoming unlimited channels
  • $.005/minute outgoing Nationwide and $.01 /min U.S. (first 30 sec then every 6 sec)
  • also has some really nice features and integration with zoho.com for future small business packages (paid services)
  • i was able to get live people on the phone today who answered all my questions
Anyone tried this service? I'm thinking this might be a nice alternative to the FPL that requires a much bigger up-front cash outlay. It'll take about 2.4 years for me to spend that much on this system (@ $34/yr + incidental outgoing charges)

I'm willing to spend a couple of pennies a month or use my cell phone to ask people to call me back.

Did I miss something? Or am I being penny wise and pound foolish? Thanx
7 replies
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1747 posts
442 upvotes
Anveo is an excellent service provider. They're a Voxbone reseller, and Voxbone is a very large and well-established company. The primary disadvantage for Canadians is they don't really support Canadian CNAM. Also, if you send an SMS (text) message, it will appear to be from a UK number.

If you want Canadian CNAM in both directions, some other options are VoIP.ms (DIY, like Anveo) or AcroVoice (full service).
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
111 posts
4 upvotes
That means that I won't get good Caller ID information for my incoming calls?
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2714 posts
301 upvotes
It means you won't get the names, but the numbers will come through fine.

Don't worry about SMS. If you buy a phone number from Anveo, you can set the Caller ID to your VOIP phone number so that any person receiving messages sees your VOIP number and any replies will be sent to your phone. There are default sending numbers for UK/USA/Canada if you don't have a number but you shouldn't complain about a UK number sending SMS if you don't have a number for replies anyway, since it doesn't matter.

Good provider in terms of features but some long distance rates are really expensive versus other providers.

They have a nice tool called Callflow where you can set up what happens when you or somebody else calls your number including IVR, DISA, voicemail, recording, automatically blocking or hanging up etc., that is what keeps me with them despite some expensive long distance rates.
[OP]
Dec 15, 2009
111 posts
4 upvotes
Is there a reason that something like Yak's call-back can't be used for long distance calls?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3360 posts
310 upvotes
I have tried VOIP.ms and Anveo

VOIP.ms
Pros
- Easy to use and understand.
- Excellent customer service. With unlimited support and email answered within hours.
- Easy port in process as they will email you step by step during the porting process.
- Competitively priced and charged by an increment of 6sec not minutes. Cheaper per minute price.
- Good number filtering feature as you can add, delete or modify numbers. Even support wildcards (*). You can upload your own message for telemarketing calls.
- Refund your balance when closing your account.

Cons
- Occasional hiccups

Anveo
Pros
- Easy managed call flow but you only allow to use certain number of them for free plans.
- Lots more features like SMS, Fax etc. but I don't need them. SMS and Fax out are not free.
- Free incoming calls for the free plan.
- Free port in if pre-paid for a year for CAN/US.
- Cheaper DID and E911 fee.
- Rather stable

Cons
- Limited support tickets. Free plan only has 4 tickets. Seriously? Not monthly or annually but lifetime. And response time is 24-48 hours unless you get the other plans which cost more. So forget about asking them how to setup your ATA.
- Rather complicated setup. Can only block one incoming number at a time. I still don't know if there's a way to unblock that number use wildcard to block ALL numbers such as 800*. No way to ADD numbers.
- No way to add your own music or messages when blocking a number.
- Next day top up of your account. Not instant.
- Charge by the minute. No choice for cheaper route.
- There was a company posted on dslreport saying they posted the companies detail online after the company close the account - scary and unprofessional if it's true.

That's all depends on what you need.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2714 posts
301 upvotes
Not a fair assessment.

VOIP.ms doesn't have "occasional" hiccups, they've become notorious in the past year for having various servers in different cities fail. DSLReports forums have numerous long threads on this issue. Outages don't just last an hour or 2 either, they last multiple days with severe problems. I don't know about you, but I'd say when choosing a phone provider, stability is very important.

I'm not sure what you mean about adding numbers to be blocked, you can easily do that from the contacts screen, simply go to add contact and add to the Blocklist group.

You can play special music or whatever it is but you can't use the block function, you would need to send the callers to another function, so the ability is there, it just isn't in the "block" capability because blocking calls is meant to block them, not play music etc. They even given an example of this on their homepage:
http://www.anveo.com/consumer/features. ... ockcallers
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1747 posts
442 upvotes
Apr 16th, 2013 7:30 pm
- Excellent customer service. With unlimited support and email answered within hours.
Try placing a ticket about an extremely serious systemwide issue on a Friday night and then tell me what you think of their support. VoIP.ms' support is better if you really don't know how to configure an ATA, but if there's a problem with their service, Anveo will actually do something about it.
Apr 16th, 2013 7:30 pm
- Charge by the minute. No choice for cheaper route.
That's not really a "con", because VoIP.ms does the same thing. It's true that Anveo only has one route, but (at least for domestic calls) they're (ever so slightly) cheaper than VoIP.ms.
× < >