Shopping Discussion

Is anyone familiar with DHL standard? It says "Final delivery via Postal Service," so who will assess duties?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2018 11:11 pm
[OP]
Mar 11, 2018
14 posts
1 upvote

Is anyone familiar with DHL standard? It says "Final delivery via Postal Service," so who will assess duties?

I'm ordering $50 worth of quest bars, oat fiber, and yacon syrup from luckyvitamin. DHL standard is the cheapest shipping option and the description says "Limited tracking. No insurance. Final delivery via Postal Service. Duties and taxes may be due upon receipt and are the responsibility of the customer."

That's fine, I don't care about shipping time and I'd much rather have something left for me in the parcel locker than have a DHL guy try to buzz me while I'm at work, leave a slip, and then expect me to haul ass to the middle of nowhere to pick it up at the DHL warehouse.

But who will assess duties/taxes/brokerage? If it's going through the same channel as most USPS/Canada Post parcels, will the same lax taxes/duties enforcement apply (where even if it's over the minimum, they rarely ask you to pay)? Or will DHL tack on their own exorbitant brokerage fees, as soon as the parcel has a declared value of $20.01?

Honestly, if it's going the USPS/Canada Post route, it's worth the gamble of being asked to pay the $10 Canada Post handling fee. But if DHL is even remotely involved in the customs clearance process, it's a hard no for me.

Anyone used this shipping option before and have some insight?
2 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1123 posts
375 upvotes
London
its probably that one called dhl global mail were in dhl gets the package to the boarder then it goes though normal customs and transfers over to canada post. only dhl express is cleared by dhl them selfs and then if the package is over $20 u have to up on hst plus clearing fees.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4456 posts
1160 upvotes
Winnipeg
Usually it will be card for pick up with fees