• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2020 4:37 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
71 posts
11 upvotes
Canada

Anyone found a good dividend screener?

Looking for good filters so I can eliminate all the poor performing stocks that are still giving out a generous dividend as they will probably slide downwards in the future.
So if I could screen by capitalization, PE ratio, debt....it would be great. Also a filter to eliminate those paying monthly. I want to buy on the dividend dip, avoiding the tax consequences of dividend income, focusing strictly on capital gains as I have some capital losses from the past I would like to use. Those paying monthly don't have much of a dip.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5759 posts
6286 upvotes
Best screeners are paid. You can try TMX website, but it's very limited. On the US side, Finviz does an ok job, but every sub-industry and sectors operate with a different set of ratios and metrics. You can try creating different screeners for different industries (using the ratios that are relevant to them - for example, PE is not relevant to all), and researching each individual business from there. Some screeners uses TTM data, while others use YTD data. Some screeners use operating (adjusted) earnings, while others use GAAP earnings (which penalizes most of companies if you take those numbers for screening decisions). You need to calculate different ratios to take into account modern accounting techniques, like IFRS.

Remember, the screener just gives you the present. It tells nothing about the past operating performance of the business, which is key to determine quality and find out how the business reacted and adapted during challenging times, including recessions. It also might not give information regarding the future, such as estimated earnings, cash flow and dividend growth - these are available via specific subscriptions for the institutional companies covering these stocks, or via corporate guidance that you can obtain on the company's website and via earnings call.

I use portfolio123 to screen for fundamentals (it's a platform for you to program your own algorithmic investing / trading models) and FAST Graphs for a summary of fundamentals and valuation.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19095 posts
1574 upvotes
Yahoo Finance can do everything you're asking for unless I am missing something here.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5420 posts
471 upvotes
MichaelZZZ wrote: Looking for good filters so I can eliminate all the poor performing stocks that are still giving out a generous dividend as they will probably slide downwards in the future.
So if I could screen by capitalization, PE ratio, debt....it would be great. Also a filter to eliminate those paying monthly. I want to buy on the dividend dip, avoiding the tax consequences of dividend income, focusing strictly on capital gains as I have some capital losses from the past I would like to use. Those paying monthly don't have much of a dip.
OP, just to get a sense of how much effort you want to put into this: are you willing to put in time to program a screener, learn what financial data you need to screen for for different industries, study the past performance of companies, perform qualitative analysis of a company, etc?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
3498 posts
2839 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I use Value Line (free via Edmonton Public Library) and the screener built into my broker (RBC DI) as my screeners.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3498 posts
2548 upvotes
@treva84 beat me to it. Look at your own service provider. See attached.

BTW, don't listen or be discouraged by those, the one, who's only agenda in the entire Investing forum is to say YOU CAN'T.

"DO WHAT YOU CAN'T" =>

Images
  • Bank Discount Brokerage Stock Screener.png
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5420 posts
471 upvotes
MrMom wrote: @treva84 beat me to it. Look at your own service provider. See attached.

BTW, don't listen or be discouraged by those, the one, who's only agenda in the entire Investing forum is to say YOU CAN'T.
The OP can use a dividend screener to achieve the objectives he describes; I don't think he needs anything too complex or time-consuming to use, but there is no harm in clarifying this.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 14, 2010
5759 posts
6286 upvotes
I think the majority knows this, but it doesn't hurt to mention:

A screener is just that, a filter to have a smaller basket of stocks. But it doesn't replace the proper diligence on the business after you narrowed down the list.

You need to ensure the companies in this smaller list still meets your quality criteria. It also doesn't provide valuation information in the context that matters : how does the current multiples of the business (not every company use the same valuation metrics) align with the estimated growth of the business? In other words, is the high (or low) valuation justified? Is it a risk or opportunity? What is management position and guidance on this?

The more you understand about the business, regarding quality and valuation, the better prepared you become to take advantage of market opportunities regarding that company.

Rod
Build a comprehensive portfolio based on Investing and Trading strategies. Check out these threads and join the discussion:

Investing strategy based on dividend growth

Trading strategy based on Graham principles.
Nov 14, 2006
208 posts
221 upvotes
Montreal
No matter what screener you choose to use, prudently, you need to get to know the company before investing in the stock to know your risk and capital appreciation potentials.

Lots of free forum for that. Seeking Alpha is great and I use only the free section. It is US market based but lots of Canadian companies are cross traded on NYSE or available on OverTheCounter (OTC) basis. I do not like to pay for services but find Seeking Alpha, Yahoo finance, and Investorline online tool combined is good enough for the 40 or 50 stocks I have in my portfolio. Investment in specific stocks knowledge require time and so is shaping/balancing portfolio of stocks. Echoing @rodbarc above, spend the time to get to know the companies and businesses to minimize your investment risk is the KEY advise I could offer after being at it for 25 years on DIY basis.
Jan 31, 2008
382 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
This site is useful if you're looking for TSX ex-dividend dates:

https://tsx.exdividend.ca/
"It is never too late to be what you might have been. "
George Eliot