Sports & Recreation

anyone going fishing this sat in Markham area??

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2017 6:37 pm
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes

anyone going fishing this sat in Markham area??

can I tag along and learn from ya??? LOLLLLL
7 replies
Banned
Sep 20, 2016
76 posts
11 upvotes
DPR2017 wrote: can I tag along and learn from ya??? LOLLLLL

Fishing for what? In Markham? Is "fishing " code for something else?
Jan 21, 2017
988 posts
339 upvotes
User499372 wrote: Fishing for what? In Markham? Is "fishing " code for something else?
umm fish?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
4081 posts
7026 upvotes
GTA North
DPR,

You can fish anytime. The weather is cooler and most of my fishing is done in warm/summer weather but I don't mind wetting a line in the fall time to see what bites as one can still get earthworms free and easy as the ground is still soft. I know it's past the date you asked but try Waldon Pond beside Markville Mall. Parking is at the soccer park/playground. It is about a 2-5min walk (pending how fast you walk) to the bridge.

Behind the bridge is the Rouge River. In front is Walden Pond which is a storm pond but lots of carp and random other fish that flowed into there. Under the bridge you will always have bites by sunfish if you are taking kids there to keep their interest active. If you do fish please practice CATCH & RELEASE.

I have caught sunfish/catfish in Waldon Pond with plastic lures and live worms before. In the back Rouge River I've caught chub, sunfish, rock bass (hiding by the downed tree). One time I took someone I just met at Too Good Pond about 3 min drive north from there and they blew my mind that they caught a fricking rainbow trout that far up inland. But then again it did not surprise me too much as I have caught a rainbow trout in Too Good Pond before.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Jun 14, 2017
816 posts
799 upvotes
thedealhunter2000 wrote: DPR,

You can fish anytime. The weather is cooler and most of my fishing is done in warm/summer weather but I don't mind wetting a line in the fall time to see what bites as one can still get earthworms free and easy as the ground is still soft. I know it's past the date you asked but try Waldon Pond beside Markville Mall. Parking is at the soccer park/playground. It is about a 2-5min walk (pending how fast you walk) to the bridge.

Behind the bridge is the Rouge River. In front is Walden Pond which is a storm pond but lots of carp and random other fish that flowed into there. Under the bridge you will always have bites by sunfish if you are taking kids there to keep their interest active. If you do fish please practice CATCH & RELEASE.

I have caught sunfish/catfish in Waldon Pond with plastic lures and live worms before. In the back Rouge River I've caught chub, sunfish, rock bass (hiding by the downed tree). One time I took someone I just met at Too Good Pond about 3 min drive north from there and they blew my mind that they caught a fricking rainbow trout that far up inland. But then again it did not surprise me too much as I have caught a rainbow trout in Too Good Pond before.
You've caught Rainbows at Too Good before? WTH. LOL

I can't get the Carps or Bass to bite anything. LMAO
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
4081 posts
7026 upvotes
GTA North
MJISGOAT wrote: You've caught Rainbows at Too Good before? WTH. LOL

I can't get the Carps or Bass to bite anything. LMAO
Yes. I have only caught one rainbow trout and one brown trout at Too Good Pond before. I'm not the only one. A lady I met there fishing a few years ago caught it a week or two earlier before I did. Back then I was relearning how to use my fishing gear so I did not know what or where the drag release was till like a month or two later when I was by the ferry docks downtown and someone showed me how to work the top drag on my zebco just add water telescopic rod. Before then I just assumed the drag was automatic.

That is why when I got the rainbow trout on my line was taut and I was taxing the line as I was reeling the fish in. I did manage to tire the fish down a bit to get it to the dirt shore (resturant side of Too Good Pond) but in my fumbling to get the net to net the fish and camera out to take a photo the line snapped. The lady that caught the fish earlier was there as my witness as well as a few other bystanders curious to see me trying to reel the fish in. IIRC I caught that trout on an earthworm. Fish size was about 15-17" off the top of my head.

Another time I caught a brown trout on a piece of canned corn in the same area using a float bobber about same size as the rainbow trout. I think it was like a week ago earlier then when I got my first carp about a 5lb'er I think. AFAIK it was carp spawning time from my research later and the carp during then are most active on the baits. What an experience. You will never forget the first time you catch a carp as you will think the rod is going crazy and line is peeling. I just started to get the hang of the whole fishing reel drag thing so I was able to adjust my drag on the fly while the carp was on. That carp was landed using canned corn and I think I was using a drop shot setup at that time as I don't recall using a float when the rod was bouncing in the rod holder.

I have run into the Hogtown Bass fishing group a couple years ago when I was on the wooden pier by the white fence (in the water) on the left side of the pier. Saw two people in waders walking in and thought they were hardcore to access the blocked areas. I then saw some of the people at the pier talking to them and found out they are all part of the same group. Had a friendly encounter with them. I thought originally the two people in waders were city employees doing some cleanup or something in that section but the people at Hogtown Bass told me they were working with the city of markham to develop habitat (IIRC what they said or it was along those lines) for the bass.

A couple years ago I caught a I think small sized large mouth bass by the same area I caught the rainbow. I was dropping my line near the bullrushes to see if anything was biting near me for the heck of it as I wasn't targetting bass specifically (honestly I'm happy with anything that bites other then mozzies/fire ants/ or sunburn) when suddenly something bit and it was fish on. I landed the fish. Had to ask the guys fishing next to me if it was small mouth or large but I knew it was a bass for sure. The size of the bass was about 3/4 of a foot. I took photos of all most of my catches and used my shoes as measurement if I did not have a tape handy. Need to find the photos somewhere.

To be honest most of the times when I caught something it was IMHO just beginners luck and being in the golden times in the 3hrs after sun up and last 3-4hrs sundown. Wished I knew or could fish as much as the professional guides who can catch at all times of the day.

EDIT:

I have caught a few carp at Too Good Pond. The ponds deepest is approx 6-7feet by the middle of the pond as I understand it or remember (I could be wrong but I've been talking with a few people fishing that told me that). AFAIK I've caught approx 5lb, 7lb, and 10-11lb carp there. My largest carp I caught it by the park bench inbetween the restaurant and the areaI caught the rainbow at. That was a memorable day for me and a wedding photo party as well as I had trouble landing such a large fish. I was feathering the drag already to wear the fish down but every time I tried to land it near the shoreI could not get it in as the fish regained some energy. So this wedding party behind saw what was happening and were seeing I was having a little trouble and one guy there happened to fish as well and offered a little help. He helped me net the fish. I got a photo and they got a good memory as well. While Too Good Pond is listed under the ministry of natural resources monitored bodies of water for fish you can harvest with thier recommended limits for consumption I don't harvest any fish south of Lake Simcoe. I don't recommend anyone eat the fish as there is a golf course like 1km away so the fertilizer and such is in the water however if a zombie apocolypse happened then yah eat up, sparingly.

I think I ended up giving the fish to this old asian guy as he and another guy was fishing there and I had to move thier lines so it would not tangle up as they walked off to chat or something.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)