• Jun 23rd, 2018 11:49 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver

Anyone got an Apple HomePod

Looks like the Home Pod is launching on June 18th in Canada. I know a few people that got it from the US, just want to know your personal experience and if it was worth it? I'm able to get a decent discount for it so I'm tempted to get one but I already have Google Home. Looks like it's main selling feature is it's superior speaker. I couldn't hear it properly at the Apple store so I don't know if it's actually good or not.
16 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
$450 plus tax is pretty hectic.

The speaker is probably amazing but that price....that price....
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
I was going to get it until something ridiculous and stupid happened to my iPhone 7 128gb. Lost everything on my phone and had to basically make it a new phone again by wiping everything. Apple was of no help in even trying to recover a certain couple pictures that I actually wanted to keep.

What does that have to do with the speaker? It goes to show that apple gives no care in the world towards it's customers and apparently their quality + warranty related issues has been going way downhill lately. Which is another reason why I will no longer support them.

Once I'm done with this phone I'll be going back to the android side.

By the way, as far as I've heard, the speaker sounds good but everything else on it sucks. Probably better off buying something like a Bose Soundlink Revolve+ (Note: I have that exact bose speaker and it's amazing for what it is).
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3261 posts
490 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Unless you're unapologetically involved with everything Apple, it's honestly the worst of all the other options. Sure, the speaker sounds great - but you are just restricted into the Apple Ecosystem.

Whereas the Sonos Beam, Sonos One or Google Home/Max speakers work with multiple services.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
XtremeModder wrote: I was going to get it until something ridiculous and stupid happened to my iPhone 7 128gb. Lost everything on my phone and had to basically make it a new phone again by wiping everything. Apple was of no help in even trying to recover a certain couple pictures that I actually wanted to keep.

What does that have to do with the speaker? It goes to show that apple gives no care in the world towards it's customers and apparently their quality + warranty related issues has been going way downhill lately. Which is another reason why I will no longer support them.

Once I'm done with this phone I'll be going back to the android side.

By the way, as far as I've heard, the speaker sounds good but everything else on it sucks. Probably better off buying something like a Bose Soundlink Revolve+ (Note: I have that exact bose speaker and it's amazing for what it is).
Have you not activated iCloud? The first thing anyone should be doing when getting an iPhone is activate iCloud and make sure incremental backup is set up. Or you can even attach a USB to iPhone adapter and transfer the pics from the phone to your USB drive. There are many ways to keep back up of your info, I wouldn't blame the company for your mistake. Take it as a learning process for the future.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
lamboman wrote: Have you not activated iCloud? The first thing anyone should be doing when getting an iPhone is activate iCloud and make sure incremental backup is set up. Or you can even attach a USB to iPhone adapter and transfer the pics from the phone to your USB drive. There are many ways to keep back up of your info, I wouldn't blame the company for your mistake. Take it as a learning process for the future.
Yes I have, and it runs out of space so fast, also, I've tried a new official apple cable thinking it was my original one, anytime that I try to transfer my pictures and videos off of my phone, 1/4 of the way through the transfer it loses the connection and won't let me transfer anymore. I'm just going to upload everything via google drive and be done with this phone. May wait for the Pixel 3 to come out first.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2012
1632 posts
955 upvotes
TORONTO
XtremeModder wrote: Yes I have, and it runs out of space so fast, also, I've tried a new official apple cable thinking it was my original one, anytime that I try to transfer my pictures and videos off of my phone, 1/4 of the way through the transfer it loses the connection and won't let me transfer anymore. I'm just going to upload everything via google drive and be done with this phone. May wait for the Pixel 3 to come out first.
I’ve been an iPhone user since the 3G. And really, before the cloud we had to backup our phones. It was slow back then. But now it’s pretty fast. Having the iCloud option is great if you’re not looking to back it up on another device like an external HD. But yes it’s limited.

Again, if you’re not saving your photos or media in general on another device you’re going to face issues. Hell, my backups have backups. This should be routine in this day and age. Can’t rely on the cloud or any other service to do this for you. And backing up is free.
Aug 6, 2009
521 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
bomber17 wrote: Looks like the Home Pod is launching on June 18th in Canada. I know a few people that got it from the US, just want to know your personal experience and if it was worth it? I'm able to get a decent discount for it so I'm tempted to get one but I already have Google Home. Looks like it's main selling feature is it's superior speaker. I couldn't hear it properly at the Apple store so I don't know if it's actually good or not.
I went and got one in the USA. If I'm being honest, I'm not 100% sure why i did... got excited about it I guess, and Apple. I did want/need a nice speaker, but I'm sure you know there are tons of speaker options.

I'm not a big audio guy, but as far as I'm concerned the speaker itself is excellent. A bit heavy on the bass I think. Mine is in a small-medium room where I spend most of my time on the computer and/or couch. It's placed in a corner which may not be the best setup audio wise but even at 15-20% volume level it fills the room very clearly. I'm very impressed with the audio quality.

I imagine audio is pretty personal, plus technical (your room dimensions, noise, etc.)... thankfully you can always return the HomePod if you don't like it.

I have an Apple Music subscription and using it with the HomePod couldn't be easier. Siri still makes the occasional mistake but I find the unit hears much better than my phone generally. You don't have to yell and it picks up easily when music is playing as well. Unfortunately, it also picks up "hey siri" from the TV sometimes. It got triggered once while I was listening to the WWDC keynote, and I think during a hockey game Apple ad.

I don't regret buying it, I use it almost every day for at least some time. It does feel over priced though. Speaker experts can tell you if the audio quality is worth approx that range of money or not. If I ever leave the Apple ecosystem it's value will probably drop drastically... with no pure bluetooth connectivity and no line in.

So I guess in short, like most Apple things... it's a quality product, for probably too high a price.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
So pulled the plug and got a Home Pod, couldn't resist the discount. I actually like it and works pretty well for what it is. It is a tad bit bassy, but I don't mind it too much and fills the room quite nicely. Volume is definitely loud enough and sound quality is quite good. If I was still using Spotify, I might not get it, but have since switched to Apple Music so it works well with it. One thing I don't like is "hey siri" is universal where anyone can say it, not just only your voice. Kinda gets annoying when someone in your household says hey siri and home pod activates too. One really bad thing about it is the built in cable. I mean c'mon Apple, almost every product you have has a detachable cable, why does the HomePod have an attached cable. Not to mention, the apple rep says if the cable is ever broken, it's a full replacement. This is probably a huge turnoff for a lot of people.

Tempted to get a second one for stereo sound. I think it sounds amazing in stereo too even though I only had a short time demoing it at the Apple store.
Jun 30, 2013
929 posts
580 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: So pulled the plug and got a Home Pod, couldn't resist the discount. I actually like it and works pretty well for what it is. It is a tad bit bassy, but I don't mind it too much and fills the room quite nicely. Volume is definitely loud enough and sound quality is quite good. If I was still using Spotify, I might not get it, but have since switched to Apple Music so it works well with it. One thing I don't like is "hey siri" is universal where anyone can say it, not just only your voice. Kinda gets annoying when someone in your household says hey siri and home pod activates too. One really bad thing about it is the built in cable. I mean c'mon Apple, almost every product you have has a detachable cable, why does the HomePod have an attached cable. Not to mention, the apple rep says if the cable is ever broken, it's a full replacement. This is probably a huge turnoff for a lot of people.

Tempted to get a second one for stereo sound. I think it sounds amazing in stereo too even though I only had a short time demoing it at the Apple store.
What discount is there? Have been looking into one myself.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
adosal wrote: What discount is there? Have been looking into one myself.
Apple staff's family and friends discount.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: Apple staff's family and friends discount.
The Source PSP has it for $22 off. LOL. Enough motivation for me.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
milhaus wrote: The Source PSP has it for $22 off. LOL. Enough motivation for me.
Go buy haha. Probably won't be seeing any discount anyways.
Apr 7, 2016
120 posts
134 upvotes
The sound is great anywhere you put it. Only downside is that it leaves circular marks if you have it on a wooden furniture. A little heavy too for such an object. Part of the eco system though, only works with apple products and no option for input aux
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Bxp360 wrote: The sound is great anywhere you put it. Only downside is that it leaves circular marks if you have it on a wooden furniture. A little heavy too for such an object. Part of the eco system though, only works with apple products and no option for input aux
The HomePod and Sonos One both leave marks on wood surfaces
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/02/15/so ... s-on-wood/

How to stop HomePod and Sonos One from leaving white rings on wood furniture
https://www.imore.com/how-to-stop-homep ... -furniture
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Anyone going to do a real review on this? Usually people don't back up on cloud, space is too limited. Back up on a high capacity computer with cable, should be easy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
spike1128 wrote: Anyone going to do a real review on this? Usually people don't back up on cloud, space is too limited. Back up on a high capacity computer with cable, should be easy.
What you mean? You can't really back up a home pod.