Food & Drink

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2016 1:08 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 21, 2003
998 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

http://www.nutrafarms.ca/

Basically they sell you a years worth of meat, flash frozen so it lasts longer, and you pay weekly/bi-monthly/monthly for the food in return.

Just looking to see if anyone had any experience with them. The only thing I've found online is a complaint about their customer service. I'm more concerned about the quality of the product, as well as potential sketchiness.
110 replies
[OP]
Apr 21, 2003
998 posts
84 upvotes
Ontario
Yeah, I'm trying to find out if someone has used them before, or knows someone who has used them before.
Jan 18, 2011
5 posts
Nepean
My wife and I used them a couple years ago and we have mixed feelings on them.

Service:
Overall we thought the service was great - even got us a really good deal on a small deep freeze. Didn't have to deal with them too much though other than the initial setup with the sales guy so it's a small sample size for sure.

Food (Quality):
The quality of the meat was great in my opinion. Much better than you could get at your local grocery store. All the beef and chicken cuts we got were great and were conviently packaged. The bacon was fantastic too!

Food (Price):
Here's the negative. After speaking with the saleman and working out what we normally spend on meat in a given month, we purchased one of the smaller packages (since there were only 2 of us). I remember it wasn't the smallest package since the salesman said it was mostly for elderly folsk who don't eat as often - might be the second package they offer. The salesman pitched to us the fact that they say it's for 12 months but that many of his customers meat last for closer to 16 months. The math on 16 months of meat costs made this seem like a reasonable deal to me. Not really saving any money but the convience and quality was far superior. As it turned out, we ran out of meat probably around the 8 month mark which, as you can imagine, greatly increased the cost per month and made it an extremely expensive venture. Some of this may have had to do with our preference in cuts since we prefer the higher grade cuts but all in all I think it was still quite pricey.

Conclusion:
Great quality and convienience but pricey. If you are a regular meat eater be prepared to run out much sooner than the 12 months they advertise and include that in your calculations.
Jul 27, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
NEPEAN
Hi. We've ordered from Nutrafarms for the past 3 years and absolutely love it.

I'm not sure what level/size of package we receive but our sales guy recommended ours for the two of us. He calls every 12 months to renew the order but we usually have to delay him because we are no where near the bottom of the freezer. I would say that 14-16 months is usually how long it takes us to get through it all. We also bought our freezer from them at an amazing price.

Based on 12 months, we pay about $52 per week for our order...and it is worth every penny. The meat is flash frozen in individual wrappers and stays fresh for as long as we have it. It is absolutely the best meat you will ever eat. The chicken doesn't shrink when you cook it (because there are no fillers). The steak is as good as any high-end restaurant's. And all of their other products are just as exceptional (meatballs, hamburger, chicken wings, breaded chicken fillets, roasts, salmon, shrimp and scallops, etc).

The thing about the food package is that you get to pick and choose what cuts and types of meat you want to include. The package is set up originally to include one of everything - then you sit with your sales guy and tell him what you don't want and/or what you want more of. Each item has a specific value....so if you order only filet mignon, you'll get a much smaller amount of food than if you order things with a lower value. We always order almost everything on the list (no chicken livers, though) and have more than enough of anything. I would say we make it to month 11 before we start to run out of our favourites.

I know that we will never go back to grocery store meat again.
Dec 16, 2011
8 posts
LONDON
I save money now because im not going out to the store as often
Jan 15, 2012
1 posts
1 upvote
Wasaga Beach, Ontari…
you wanted to know if anyone has had an experience with Nutra Farms. We bought the order for the smallest family. There's two of us. Our grocery bill has almost been non existant. We didn't go with the other items except for the sugar. At that time it was about $1.50 a bag. It was a bit pricy but we paid for itup front and it should last us another 8 months. We just got it in August 2011. We like the flavor of the chicken and the pork chops are awesome. The beef is a bit strong but we are mostly chicken eaters. Hope this helped.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
Well,
if you really want to "know the names of the farmers" why not join one of the farm food co-ops.
there are many in Ontario and usually you order your items online and pick them up later in the week.

you can get bread,grains,cheese,meats,juices- a lot of the meats are frozen as the farmers do not have a store,so it is how they store most meats.

like I buy bacon and even that comes in a frozen package.
I doubt I am saving on chicken and meats though- the bacon I get is $15 a lb,but is organic bacon.

I am in Ottawa and usually order my meats from MRSO co-op, it is in Hull, Quebec.
Also know of the Eastern Ontario food co-op? or something like that.

if you look online you can find tons of those things now.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2005
15434 posts
106867 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WTF - this thread is really attracting the signup-post-disappear types, isn't it?
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Feb 8, 2012
1 posts
PERTH
What "Goose3000" fails to mention is the Nutra Farms has an excellent exchange policy. If you find you have too much of a certain type of meat or not enough of another, all you have to do is e-mail their fantastic sales rep and they organize to do an exchange with you. Simple as that. I'm not sure what "Goose3000" was so surprised by what they ordered - our rep sat down with us and went through a list of exactly what we would be getting. It was only after we dsicvoered that we really liked the bacon that we decided we wanted to exchange a few other types of meat to get more of it. They were happy to do that and we had the bacon within a week.
Mar 2, 2012
2 posts
NEPEAN
saint2e wrote:
Jan 24th, 2011 9:22 pm
http://www.nutrafarms.ca/

Basically they sell you a years worth of meat, flash frozen so it lasts longer, and you pay weekly/bi-monthly/monthly for the food in return.

Just looking to see if anyone had any experience with them. The only thing I've found online is a complaint about their customer service. I'm more concerned about the quality of the product, as well as potential sketchiness.

Hey there. We decided to try them last year. The quality of the meat is really really good, and it thaws soooo quickly, it doesn't matter if we forget to take out dinner the night before - it thaws in a couple of hours because of the flash freezing. When we run out of meat, we are definitely going to re-order. I also love that it's organic. We're very happy customers.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2002
2850 posts
427 upvotes
How much of a discount does NutraFarms give you if you sign up on RFD and post a positive comment about their food quality and/or service? ;)
Mar 21, 2012
1 posts
2 upvotes
KANATA
I got taken a little bit by the direct sales tactic. I was a soft target because I was looking for convenience and something that was organic or local and I was probably a bit sleep deprived because of my newborn son. It's not certified organic by anyone and I believe most of their claims can be made by most Canadian produced beef.

Basically their product is sold in categories with a category price tag. So you have X amount of Beef, Y amount of Chicken and Z amount of Pork + specialty items. Each category is priced separately and is made up of multiple types and quantities of meat which makes it impossible to compare prices to your local stores. You cannot say 1lb of beef will cost me X$. For fun, they do the product selection in reverse. You have a list of pre-selected products grouped by category like beef and they cross off the items that you don't want. Oh, and they will substitute product if there is not enough of whatever you have requested. They do say that you will be able to get the same product at the same price the following year which sounds nice until you do the math (which is impossible until you get the product).

Shipping of freezer and frozen product was quick and on time.

Did the product last a full year? yes. I have a about 10 lbs of beef and a 3.5lb Sirloin Tip Roast.

The administration of the billing is handled through "Home Trust Company" which promptly contacted me on the last month to see if I wanted make a second order. I declined.

Was it more convenient. Not really, you have to thaw it. If I freeze it myself, I can pre-marinade the cuts as I put them in the freezer so they are ready and seasoned to use when thawed. If I was to do it again, I'd just buy a really good upright freezer and freeze high quality cuts of meat when they are in season and on sale or just go to Costco.
Oct 3, 2009
269 posts
13 upvotes
Just had a door knocker kid come. Asking if we wanted to partake in samples.

Took down some info about who we deal with and how much meat we eat and said that people in Mississauga complain about not having good butchers nearby. The guy claimed the meat was coming from farms north of St. Jacob's country.

So, tomorrow evening, there'll be a sample person coming by...

I thought I'd google them to see what people were saying and found the shills in this thread.

I see posts from Nepean/Ottawa in this thread, plus the website also talks about seafood.... which tells me they're not as small as the kid at the door said they were. They're going to have to do quite a trick to pry us away from dealing with our small family run butcher (Teggart farms) with the abattoir behind where we've developed a very good relationship.
Apr 21, 2007
312 posts
10 upvotes
You're better off finding a co-op/csa like mentioned or find a farmer and buy a half/whole pig/cow/lamb etc. you'll get much more meat at a more reasonable price than a package and you can try out different breeds and find stuff that is humanly raised.
Oct 3, 2009
269 posts
13 upvotes
Yeah, googling, that's mostly what I figured.

I do have a small family butcher that I rely on for most land meats and they're sourced locally from the Halton region.

4 or 5 years of rapport, I'll stick with them.
ifeature wrote:
Apr 18th, 2012 8:07 pm
You're better off finding a co-op/csa like mentioned or find a farmer and buy a half/whole pig/cow/lamb etc. you'll get much more meat at a more reasonable price than a package and you can try out different breeds and find stuff that is humanly raised.
× < >