Food & Drink

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 8:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
6399 posts
3590 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
AliceMaury wrote:
Dec 11th, 2018 9:00 pm
We got an order last week after reading some positive google reviews. What a bunch of lies!! We had a friend who ordered a few years back tell us that they bribed him with free product to put up a positive review (duhhh).

Our order will likely last us 6 months based on our math, which leaves us almost paying $400 a month for 4 months with NO MEAT. Our math works our order out to $31 a pound...yup you read that right. $31 a pound for ground beef and chicken thighs.

I was clearly lied to by the rep. We never received a breakdown of what we ordered. Had we, we would never have accepted it. Ever. We we're assured it would last 10-12 months. We are going to get at most 6 months.

We got our order 2 weeks ago. Is there anything we can do???
No, and why would you ever buy something without really knowing what you are getting? I will never understand how anybody falls for this.
Apr 2, 2013
330 posts
210 upvotes
St. Catharines
We ordered from Nutrafarms back in March and have been using it. The quality is all over the board; the pork (tenderloin, sausage, bacon) is absolutely fantastic, same with the salmon and fish. The vegetables and fruits were good as well. The green cleaning products were decent but have to be mixed in a quantity much higher than what it states. However, the beef is terrible. No matter how we tried to cook it, it was still tough; especially the steaks (don't know if they use old cows for their steaks but every one of them was a bad cut). Slow/Pressure cooking made it bearable but it's not what we were expecting from the high praise that was touted.
The quantity certainly seems fine. We are nearing our final payment and to date we probably have about 1/3 left (2 person household) so the amount was good. Given the price we paid per week and how much we actually use, it is not really worth it. The beef issue alone is reason enough to not renew but the fact that it does not really suit our needs and how much we deal-shop anyway, I will not be getting this again. Was it a worthwhile experience and am I happy that I supported local farmers? Sure. I just simply don't think they are worth their weight is all.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1700 posts
168 upvotes
TheGuard wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 11:48 am
We ordered from Nutrafarms back in March and have been using it. The quality is all over the board; the pork (tenderloin, sausage, bacon) is absolutely fantastic, same with the salmon and fish. The vegetables and fruits were good as well. The green cleaning products were decent but have to be mixed in a quantity much higher than what it states. However, the beef is terrible. No matter how we tried to cook it, it was still tough; especially the steaks (don't know if they use old cows for their steaks but every one of them was a bad cut). Slow/Pressure cooking made it bearable but it's not what we were expecting from the high praise that was touted.
The quantity certainly seems fine. We are nearing our final payment and to date we probably have about 1/3 left (2 person household) so the amount was good. Given the price we paid per week and how much we actually use, it is not really worth it. The beef issue alone is reason enough to not renew but the fact that it does not really suit our needs and how much we deal-shop anyway, I will not be getting this again. Was it a worthwhile experience and am I happy that I supported local farmers? Sure. I just simply don't think they are worth their weight is all.
no offense but you are not supporting local farmers you are getting ripped off by a company who is buying local and charging a crazy amount of money for inferior product...case in point you are not renewing...
Jan 24, 2019
2 posts
5 upvotes
I worked for Nutrafarms in Oshawa and can tell you a few things with certainty:
-farms are not what 99% of people would consider local
-the meat is not natural or organic
-they don't source from one farm, they get it from a supplier
-their beef is grass fed and corn finished, like all regular beef
-their cost is extravagantly high. 3× retail organic, nevermind off the shelf stuff
-their "certification" is done through a company owned by the same holding company that owns Nutrafarms
-they are notorious for lying and deceptive sales tactics

Is the company a scam? Depends on your definition of a scam: legally they are not as far as I can tell. Morally they very much are.

Don't get me started on how they treat employees
Jun 2, 2012
145 posts
111 upvotes
NORTH YORK
The nutrafarms salesman tried to convince me that the organic meat I (occasionally, bc let’s be honest $$$) source myself from places like nature emproium or fresh from the farm was poor quality, and was from ‘factory farming’ and couldn’t compare to the organic meat nutrafarms was selling. Yet when I asked him where the meat he is selling comes from, he couldn’t name a specific farm, and all the literature he had in the binder showed that the beef was corn fed. The binder also did not have any organic certifications listed or anything to convince me that the farms were following organic or otherwise better than normal factory farming practices. The website is even less revealing.

Seeing he was fighting a losing battle and I didn’t see the value in prebuying a bunch of overpriced regular beef without knowing exactly what I was going to get he tried to sell me the bs that grass fed beef is impossible in Canada. He continued to argue with me even when I told him that I just bought 100% grass fed Canadian beef earlier that day.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20471 posts
6572 upvotes
MandyPants wrote:
Jan 26th, 2019 9:57 am
I worked for Nutrafarms in Oshawa and can tell you a few things with certainty:
-farms are not what 99% of people would consider local
-the meat is not natural or organic
-they don't source from one farm, they get it from a supplier
-their beef is grass fed and corn finished, like all regular beef
-their cost is extravagantly high. 3× retail organic, nevermind off the shelf stuff
-their "certification" is done through a company owned by the same holding company that owns Nutrafarms
-they are notorious for lying and deceptive sales tactics

Is the company a scam? Depends on your definition of a scam: legally they are not as far as I can tell. Morally they very much are.

Don't get me started on how they treat employees
Feb 19, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Just had a sales rep leave our house. Initially someone came to our door asking if "local farmers from around the corner" could drop off a sample of their product for us. I thought sure that sounds great! Having experienced horrible, deceptive door to door salesmen before (once we were told we won a prize from Home Hardware )and it turned into a 3 hour sales pitch we weren't expecting) I phoned beforehand and asked if this would be the same thing. We were told they would be dropping off the sample and could ask some questions about the products if we wanted (max 15 minutes according to them). After 30+ minutes we still hadn't even heard about the pricing just that they had the most amazing product ever over and over. At this point I was still interesting in ordering a few things to try. Finally they drop the 200lb minimum that costs $4000. We told the salesman we didn't have room for that amount of meat in our townhouse and he suggested we put the freezer in our bedroom! He continued for another 40 minutes.

I searched the company online after and was shocked to find it wasn't a local farm from around the corner as they had portrayed themselves. Nobody even told me it was going to be a sales pitch. This is the shadiest marketing I've ever seen.
Mar 17, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Yeah right, this is pure scamming. The service ends as soon as the finance company ( Yes, finance company) pays the food company.
This place sounds just like Prime Cut Foods from Stoney Creek. They are/were a freezer order company.same as Canadian foods .
Mar 24, 2019
1 posts
1 upvote
Yes we ordered nutrafarms, it was about $4500 cash upfront and we got a freezer, we bought the package for 4. I was sold on the "grass-fed" beef as well as the videos on their website showing the difference between grocery store bacon and Nutrafarms bacon. I can say that the bacon video is not true at all, what we got from nutrafarms looks more like the bacon they show from the grocery store in that video, so much liquid comes off of it. I liked the bacon from costco better personally. We have had the food for 2 months and I can say its about half gone. We have alot of hotdogs and sausages left that might be still left in 2 months but I would say its at most 6 months worth. And that is with not having meat every night, and occasional supplementing with meat from the grocery store. I was also dismayed to find out the beef is not grass fed and finished, it is grain finished. The chicken does not say its organic and I have noticed no difference in taste from the nutrafarms chicken and the grocery store chicken. I have noticed superstore starting to carry free range organic frozen chicken, I have also noticed Costco selling fresh organic free range chicken, these are both cheaper than nutrafarms. I have also found frozen wild caught salmon else where. Hopefully soon I will find a better option for beef and pork, as for now the best I can find is the superstore "free from" line which I think is a scam but probably better than nothing. Also bacon is best from costco.