Food & Drink

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 1:35 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 2, 2014
5 posts
1 upvote
OAKVILLE
I did a google search for reviews of Nutrafarm and came across this thread. Read it through entirely. I had an appt for them to come over last night but they called and said they wouldn't be able to come until it'd be too late for me to wait for them. I re-scheduled for tonight. Sounds like there is a lot of mixed reviews on here. Problem is I can't tell which posts are the fake ones by either competitors or the company itself. Last night I had a visit by a similar company called Farmway Foods, and am seeking reviews on them. Sorry if this takes us off on a tangent a bit but does anyone have any experience with that company too?
Dec 6, 2014
2 posts
Cambridge, ON
I ordered from Nutrifarms back in the summer. When we ordered, we were told with the package would last a full year. We have a family of 4 and are meat eaters. Unfortunately, the meat lasted less than 5 months. We are now stuck with no meat for another 5 months and we are still paying for the meat.

Quality of the meat is outstanding - I can give you that but now stuck paying almost $350 a month for no meat. If anyone is ordering - think twice and count all the meat and ensure it will last a year. When it comes all at once, it seems a lot but it's not.

Next year, I'll be trying out a meat butcher. Too bad...as ill definitely will be missing on the good quality meat.
Jul 25, 2016
14 posts
1 upvote
Burlington
I just had the sales pitch from the sales guy. The price seems way out there, a lot more than we (family of 2) pay for. Anyways I have decided go give it a try. Main reason is because I cannot find good meet anywhere. I moved to Burlington to Ireland a couple of years ago. The move has been great, but the only problem is I have to look forward to going home to get any good meat. I have tried lots of local butchers and all the big grocery stores. There is one butcher I use on ocasion that is good usually but can also be hit or miss, and always very expensive. The meat in this part of the world is so bad and expensive it is mind boggling. Its like the government wants its people to live of boxed freezer food.

I can't give a review on the quality yet (apart from my sample of burger meat, which was great), but I hope that now I will have access to a source of good tasting healthy food.

I am planning on getting my freezer of meat before xmas and will post anything which may be useful to readers during the year.

I am aware of how much it costs but I am going with you get what you pay for. I really hope its not a scam and am sure they would not have lasted 15years it was.
Dec 2, 2014
5 posts
1 upvote
OAKVILLE
I got my sales pitch from Nutrafarms last week. Days before that sales pitch I got one from Farmway. Guess they're following each other around the neighbourhood. I was contacted via door-to-door reps.

Before I had the appointments I kept in mind what I've read on this thread. The following is my experience.

1. The rep had no issue with the fact it was just me. When I got my reminder call I said my wife would be there too but then she decided to go to bed. When I invited the guy in (Darius) he didn't even ask about her.
2. The rep said he is a farmer in Ottawa and is 'in town' to do some work for the company.
3. The rep wasn't push in even the slightest sense of the word. He was easy going, and I think he caught on quick that I am a more 'informed' consumer.
4. As soon as we sat down he handed me the meat sample. A pack of frozen vacuum packed lean ground beef.
5. The quote he gave me was for a 2 adult family (we have 2 children, aged 1 and 5) and it would cost $3110 plus delivery and something else I think that would make the total cost $3545 or so with tax. On a weekly basis it worked out to around $50-60. I told him one of my concerns paying that much in advance is if the meat doesn't last but am still paying for it. I referred to some stories on here about buying meat that should last a year but instead lasted 8 months instead. He was confident that in my case it would last especially seeing how my children are so young. For example we usually divide one chicken breast for both kids, 3/4 for the older son, and 1/4 for the younger son. He said he thinks it would last 14 months or so.
6. He said all the basic things you find on the website. Top quality meat, all natural, no fillers, free range, no hormones, etc. I asked in the winter time are the cows corn fed and he said that they are hay fed.
7. He handed me a copy of a bill to see how the total cost is broken down. I asked what the 'service' part of the bill covers and he said that's their profit margin. That part of the bill was somewhere around $260. He said the rest of the bill, the freezing, handling, etc is the actual cost. I find it hard to believe that out of an over $3000 order they only pocket $260.
8. Knowing that they sell freezers I made the comment that I don't have enough room for all the meat. He said that they would give me one for a real great price. I asked what it was and he said the price was already worked into $3110 quote. He said if I decided not to take it they'd take it off the price. Comparatively, Farmway offered a 'free' freezer but lets be honest it's not free. They worked the price into their quote and made it sound like its free. This guy was at least more honest about it.
9. I asked what is the per pound price of meat so I can do an accurate comparison of cost of meat. Like other people on this thread said, he wouldn't give a number, citing the same reasons everyone else said.
10. When I looked at his paper I saw the 15% restocking fee. I asked what if I make the order and then upon receiving it I'm unhappy with it. He said I get a full refund. I then pointed the clause to him and he said "oh is that on there". He said they want to make me happy so if I have an issue and I haven't consumed the meat he can't see them penalizing me the 15% restocking fee.
11. I then said how does the restocking fee apply considering the 10 day buyer's remorse law. He said "oh you're a well informed consumer" and said I couldn't be charged the penalty during the 10 day period. I then asked how long would it take to receive the order. He said 10 days. So then I said that the timing is very coincidental - that the day the shipment arrives and I get to actually see what I've bought and that's when I lose my right to get a full refund if I'm happy. He didn't have much to say to that.
12. I told him I would not be deciding until the new year, and he had no issue with that.
13. In consideration of the fact some previous posts accused the company of fudging how they claim their meat is 'aged'. I specifically asked and he said the meat is properly aged via hanging.

I did look them up on the BBB site. Nutrafarms is *NOT* BBB accredited but they do have an A+ rating, which means regardless of the complaints received they were resolved. You don't need to be BBB accredited to use the BBB to sort out complaints, or to appear on their website. According to the site, there have been 6 complaints over the past 3 years, and 1 over the last year. The only complaint that can be read in detail (once they reach a certain age they get archived and not viewable anymore).

I've pasted the complaint for your review here:

Complaint
Ordered product from Nutrafarms Inc. and paid by credit card. Salesperson left a flyer and a referral sheet, said our copy of the order would come with the order for us to confirm correct delivery. Our situation changed and we could not afford the order. Called April 21/14 to 1-800-***-**** and cancelled. Was informed at that time that it was fine and they would contact the distributor. The distributor called on the 27th or 28th of April and I told him that we had cancelled. He said it was fine that he would confirm with head office. Never heard back. We were called by a very rude, angry man on April 30th who said that he knew that we had cancelled but that he didn't think that he should have to 'eat' the cost. We explained what had happened and when. He said that there was no record of us cancelling and that the office didn't tell me that. He said he could 'make it all go away' but we were not giving him any reason to. He said we had to cancel within 24 hrs of ordering, that it was on our contract. We told him that we did not have the contract, the salesperson took it. He informed us that, that is not how 'it' works and that he would not return our money. Our credit card was charged on April 23/14, 2 days after cancellation. If there was no record of cancellation how did he know it was cancelled. We received no product and no refund.

Desired Settlement
We are seeking refund in the amount of $3908.25.

The company's response:

Business Response
Consumer Protection Act indicates written cancellation. We have no record in our system of a want to cancel nor do we have written instruction from the customer to cancel their order. With the receipt of this complaint, we have now refunded their credit card for the full amount as requested. We trust this is satisfactory for the customer. - See more at: http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-r ... oC2Fh.dpuf

In regards to the sample. I remember when Farmways did their visit they pointed out their meat was not as 'red' as store bought meat because that redness is part of the filling and whatnot. The sample from Nutrafarms was more red then the Farmways sample but not as red as Walmart. I tried the Nutrafarms sample and could right away taste the difference. It was real pure meat. It actually reminded me of eating deer meat from a friend. He shot and killed a deer and had it slaughtered at the butcher and it was vacuum packed, aged, and it was straight from the animal.

I guess using a service like this is a risk. I am confident that the quality of meat is as described. But the old adage you get what you pay for applies. The biggest question marks for me is how long would the meat truly last? What is the real cost of the meat? And the fact that by the team you get any of these answers and you're not happy with the product/service you better fight to not have to pay 15% of it. Some people on here praise the service, some curse it. That's just like any other business though, isn't it?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4639 upvotes
charalambos1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2014 12:52 pm
I can give you that but now stuck paying almost $350 a month for no meat.
What in the actual [expletive deleted]?
THREE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS A MONTH!?!??!
Did you type that wrong?
How the hell does a family spend $350 a month on beef?
I could literally buy an entire (smaller) striploin every single week for that much. Or a larger one and a hell of a lot of other things.
Don't get me wrong... I love beef. But I think even a family of 4 would get stick of it after consuming that much.
I don't even want to see what my doctor would say about that.
Dec 6, 2014
2 posts
Cambridge, ON
Hey bud....I'm not spending $350 on beef - it's for all kind of meats: chicken, beef, pork, hot dogs, sausages, and a lot more. This $350 is a payment for 10 months and includes the freezer. Hope that makes more sense
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4639 upvotes
charalambos1 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2014 5:45 pm
Hey bud....I'm not spending $350 on beef - it's for all kind of meats: chicken, beef, pork, hot dogs, sausages, and a lot more. This $350 is a payment for 10 months and includes the freezer. Hope that makes more sense
Actually that makes it worse.
Chicken is cheap. Pork is cheap. Hot dogs are cheaper.
Sausages are a little more expensive, but not $3500 expensive.
A freezer kind od helps, but I can't see it costing more than like $500 unless it's an upright.
Do you get to keep the freezer afterwards at least?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1667 posts
377 upvotes
Oakville
Freezer is Frigidaire, it has a manufacturers warranty. We had a lengthy power outage once, all I could think about is the $2500 worth of meat I had in the freezer. Luckily it kept everything frozen until the power went back on.

Death_Hawk, I understand what you're saying but there is a lot of meat, almost too much, should be split in 2 and delivered 6 months later. And the meat tastes great, it's not the sickly fat laden beef and the white pork and chicken you get from supermarkets. Pork and chicken should have colour, beef should be lean and not on anti-biotics because it's sick from eating corn that it can't digest instead of it's natural food grass.

Are you over-paying, yes. But I can say it was very convenient to have, we visited the grocery less and ate healthier because of it. Less take out, less frozen pizza crap etc. You could very well go direct and buy the same meats, I believe I provided a link earlier in the thread, but they get you with easy weekly payments, again convenience. Not many can fork over $2000 for meat to last you the year.
Dec 8, 2014
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Hi, I have been with Nutrafarms for about almost 6 months in January. We are having a hard time getting a hold of customer service. We are almost out of good at 6 months of being with them! They said we would be getting between 10-12 months of food for 3 ppl 2 adults and a child! We do not eat any of the food other then for dinners. We ordered July 9th we received our order July 13th and unfortunately they gave us the wrong order. We then sent it back, they gave us our new order and didn't give us an order form, and had a super hard time getting a hold of customer service. Took 3 weeks to almost 5 weeks to get an order form. It is not worth the money as we pay $297 each month. We are now stuck with at least 4 months plus we have to buy more food for each of those months. But I will say the meats are totally a 5 star but with what we have experienced we would have to rate them a solid 1 star out of 5 they do not return emails or phone calls. I have called and left msgs for them. Another note we barely ate out food as we go to my brothers 3 times a week for dinner and we have ate out 25 times since July 13th! So we have agreed to not go back to Nutrafarms next year. It's a total waste of money. Would not recommend it to anyone!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4639 upvotes
jumbojones wrote:
Dec 9th, 2014 2:47 pm
Freezer is Frigidaire, it has a manufacturers warranty. We had a lengthy power outage once, all I could think about is the $2500 worth of meat I had in the freezer. Luckily it kept everything frozen until the power went back on.
This is why I want to build in a backup generator in my next home.
Well that and I want to still have internet lol.

Death_Hawk, I understand what you're saying but there is a lot of meat, almost too much, should be split in 2 and delivered 6 months later.
My point is for $3000/$3500/etc you can buy A LOT of meat yourself. Hell you can buy a lot of meat, a freezer (which you're technically paying for), AND a chamber sealer and still come out ahead.
And the meat tastes great, it's not the sickly fat laden beef
I would punch a kitten for fat laden beef. Hell the fattier the beef the more it's worth.
Ok maybe not punch a kitten because I love kittens, but fatty beef is awesome. Actually fatty anything is awesome.
Our meat supply is FAR too lean nowadays. I saw a pork chop with marbling once and almost wept. It was [expletive deleted]ing delicious.
and the white pork and chicken you get from supermarkets. Pork and chicken should have colour, beef should be lean and not on anti-biotics because it's sick from eating corn that it can't digest instead of it's natural food grass.
I can't remember where I read it, but I'm pretty sure pinker pork is more flavorful. I have no evidence to back this up at this point but I'll go look for some because I'm curious now.
Chicken I don't think has a color/taste correlation.
Beef shouldn't be lean. It shouldn't have chunks of fat, but it should have nice marbling.
Are you over-paying, yes. But I can say it was very convenient to have, we visited the grocery less and ate healthier because of it.
Are you really shopping less though? Vegetables don't last that long and require fairly frequent purchases. By the sounds of some of these shills er... posters they get all this meat and visit the grocery store once a month.
Even if I don't buy meat I'd still go to the grocery store once a week.
Less take out, less frozen pizza crap etc. You could very well go direct and buy the same meats, I believe I provided a link earlier in the thread, but they get you with easy weekly payments, again convenience. Not many can fork over $2000 for meat to last you the year.
Convenience is about the only argument I can kind of figure out. Even then, it's not very convenient. I don't like frozen meats and avoid it where possible. Some thing aren't available fresh so sometimes I don't have a choice.
"Easy payments" is also weird to me. Even without "Easy payments" you'll be spending a bunch of money every week anyway. If anything, there's reports in this very thread that "easy payments" aren't so easy when you're paying a contract and run out of product.
I'd rather vary my payments so I'm guaranteed to have protein through the year.
But even if you insist on grass fed / organic / antibiotic free / free range / etc I'm pretty sure you can still spend less than $3500 a year AND buy your own freezer and chamber sealer.

I mean... my initial reaction was to the guy that spends $350/month and has no meat.
Just for giggles I wanted to see how much steaks were. A strip primal of grass fed local beef is $24/lb or $30 for 2x 10oz steaks. I don't know many people that eat steak more than once a week. Considering people are complaining about running out of meat I can't see them eating more than once a week anyway. Steak is by FAR the most expensive product. Tenderloin is actually a touch cheaper assuming you eat 8oz steaks. Rib is about the same price.
Everything else is cheaper.

I don't know what kind of mix of product you get (and apparently you don't either until it's delivered) and no one is giving a per pound price.
But Pork (unmedicated) is all WELL under $10/lb. Chops are $5. Tenderloin is $7. Back ribs are $7.50 (more than tenderloin? WTF)
"Free of everything" Chicken is actually mildly expensive at $10ish/lb depending on what you want. It's $4/lb if you buy a whole chicken.
I can't see them giving you just breast meat.

I'd love to have someone with a fresh order actually weigh and account for every single piece they get just to see what the true cost is.
Hell even a count of what you get for $3500 would help in calculations.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
1667 posts
377 upvotes
Oakville
Meat is cryovaced and flash frozen, I just did my last 2 rib eyes that I had purchased almost a year and a half ago, tasted great.

I know I get you, that is why I didn't buy in again, but some may see the value in all of this. Getting to the grocery store with 3 young boys isn't the easiest of things, especially when they want this and that, convenience can be worth a lot to some people. The deal also comes with a crap load of frozen veg and pantry items, so really the trips to the grocery store was reduced.
Jan 3, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Dec 8th, 2014 5:38 pm
What in the actual [expletive deleted]?
THREE HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS A MONTH!?!??!
Did you type that wrong?
How the hell does a family spend $350 a month on beef?
I could literally buy an entire (smaller) striploin every single week for that much. Or a larger one and a hell of a lot of other things.
Don't get me wrong... I love beef. But I think even a family of 4 would get stick of it after consuming that much.
I don't even want to see what my doctor would say about that.

Long story short, the total loss when you do the math (weight x price /kg) is in the range of $1000. Agree with some of the previous comments, quality is good, conveniently packed in small cuts/portions. I may be saving some money as we are doing fewer trips to the grocery store... In spite of the better quality and convenience, most likely not willing to pay the premium next year and will have barely used Frigadiere upright freezer 'free for pickup" on Kijiji ...
Jan 21, 2015
10 posts
7 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Yes I am creating an account just to talk about Nutra Farms, I have to start somewhere. I've placed one order with them and I will try and summarize the highlights...

Technology
First... In the politest way possible I don't believe they are literate enough with technology to be able to login to Red Flag Deals and post brilliant reviews. I submitted sample requests on their website multiple times, until I eventually had to call them. It took me 5 months to get a sales person to my door. They say they have supply shortages because they only have 3 farms, but it's obvious they just didn't check their inbox. Their entire web pressence is a website that looks like big advertisement with no real content or product catalog, and a youtube account. I think they just hired a web designer, put it up and forgot about it. The sales rep that shows up come with giant binder with a laminated menu which you do not get a copy of after the meeting. I really wish they would have an online catalog.

Source of products
Beef: Ontario Farm
Pork: Ontario Farm
Chicken: Ontario Farm
Fish: Somewhere in Northern BC, wild
Vegetables: Standard Ontario frozens vegetables you would get in grocery store. Not organic.
Fruit: Standard Ontario frozens fruits you would get in grocery store. Not organic.

Fact Corrections(Obvious BS)
1. They really have two financing options. Pay it all up front, or do it in monthly installments. The monthly installments option is technically a loan with 0% interest. However if pay it all up front you get a 5% discount. Basically the loan interest is already worked into the total, and they sell it as a discount when you pay cash.
2. In Canada using growth hormones in beef is illegal, so you don't get it in the milk or the beef anywhere. Not sure why they advertise it as a one of their benefits. Anyway it's still true that their beef is grass fed which is still great on it's own.

Pros (Taken straight from their sales pitch, but still true)
- No Antibiotics in the meat
- No Growth Hormones
- Fewer trips to grocery store
- Meat is dry aged. I don't know much about aging meats, but what I did notice is that meat cuts don't shrink nearly as much compared to grocery store meats when cooked. It is one of the first obvious differences.

Cons
- Meat has less fat(Yes this can be a bad thing), except for pork. Run of the mill grocery store bought chicken breasts can tend to dry out easily, so be prepaired for chicken breast with even less fat from Nutra Farms. This isn't a con for me since I resolve this easily with a brine or olive oil. But for most people it would be.

The Math

This is purely my own reasoning and why I chose to place an order. I chose the largest freezer which came out to almost 800$ and I chose the basic order which comes with 12-18 months of food. For the sake of argument let's just say it's 12 months. Although you have 12 months of food, the installments must be paid within 10 months, it cannot be extended. I assume this is in case the food runs out. Also, keep in mind when you place an order you pay the same price on your next two subsequent orders, regardless of inflation. So to truely come as close to grocery store prices you need to order from them for 3 consecutive years.

First Year (With Freezer): $3800
First Year Monthly Payments: $380
First Year Month Cost over 12 months(For illustration): $317

Second Year (Without Freezer): $3000
Second Year Monthly Payments: $300
Second Year Month Cost over 12 months(For illustration): $250

Third Year (Without Freezer): $3000
Third Year Monthly Payments: $300
Third Year Month Cost over 12 months(For illustration): $250

I spent more or less $200-$250 per month on meat, especially in the summer. So on paper it seems to work out.

Unknowns
- Don't know if the freezer will last to end of third year. Every freezer I've ever had lasted longer than that, so I have no reason to believe it won't, except for some of the reviews.
- Don't know if the order is truely a 12 month supply, have not had it for a great length of time.

Conclusion

The jury is still out on how long the meat will last. Assuming the meat lasts into the 10-12 month range and I order for 3 years I expect I will be breaking even with grocery store prices. If I don't make it to at least 10 months I may be reconsidering my 2nd year order. I'm a few months into my order, will post again once I know for sure how long the food will last.

My impression isn't that they are intentionally trying to mislead people, but more that they are trying to operate a company in the 1980s. Except for a web designer somewhere they pay to upload youtube videos. They seems like a solid business, but just not a modern one.
Jan 29, 2015
1 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I created a Red Flags Account, just to warn other people about this company.

SALES PROCESS: Unnecessarily long-winded. The NutraFarm sales rep told me that the initial consultation would only take 30 - 40 minutes, but it ended up taking 2 hours 15 min. I just wanted to make an order, not listen to the whole company story (and then his own life story). Tip - tell your rep that you only have 15 minutes, and then he/she will only take 60 minutes of your time!

DELIVERY PROCESS: Nutrafarm give you a delivery time range of 9am - 3pm - WTF! They cancelled the first two times, and when they showed up on the third attempt they had the wrong size of freezer. Instead of saying "oops we made a mistake, we will deliver another one", they tried to push me into taking this overly large and awkward freezer. They got it right after the 4th attempt.

THE FREEZER: Worked fine.

THE MEAT: Tastes good, really good.

THE CANCELLATION PROCESS: Difficult. I cancelled not because of the cost or product, but because of poor customer service. Their customer service team sucks balls - goodness knows where they find these people. The first two Freezer pick up attempts were cancelled (on the day), so that was another two days of having to work from home. One of the reasons they gave was that their trucks were not in a good condition to go out on the road because of the cold weather!!!!!! FFS, we live in Canada. I have organized a 3rd pick attempt, and will be selling this bloody freezer if they don't show up again.

END RESULT: I would actually consider using a service like this again because I enjoyed the product, but I WILL NOT be using Nutrafarm, and will not be recommending their service to anyone.
Jan 21, 2015
10 posts
7 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Very true, the sales process is unnecessarily long, although mine was more like 1.5-2 hours. By the time you decide to make an order with Nutra Farms you must already have a pretty good idea of their history, especially since they rely on referrals for new business. Watch the youtube videos and you know everything, an hour long speech isn't needed. The part that adds the most time to the meeting in my opinion is the fact that you are only seeing their menu for the first time when the sales guy shows up. So you need to browse their paper catalog(yes paper, it still exists apparently) for the first time and pick your order in an hour. Hence the reason why they need to have the bloody menu posted online, so I can pick everything before talking to a sales person.

Didn't have any problems with delivery. When you place the order they tell you which day it's coming, and the day before the delivery they provide a 2 hour time window. Everything arrived in correct amounts and as expected. I checked and re-checked everything, especially since reading the reviews here lol.

ConsumerX, I probably would have cancelled at the 2nd-3rd attempt if delivery was that bad. But since you did finally receive it on the 4th attempt and it was correct, what were your reasons for cancelling? At this point you have everything, and wouldn't (hopefully) need to talk to their customer service again unless you decided to re-order. It took me 5 months to get a sales guy to my door to place an order, I can't imagine trying to cancel an order.