Food & Drink

Anyone had any experience with Nutrafarms?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2017 6:29 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 6, 2009
180 posts
15 upvotes
Oshawa
Just had the guy come to the door from Nutrafarms. He said "hey, I'm from Nutrafarms -" and I cut him off right there, saying, "is this for a meat subscription box or something like that? Because we already order a CSA box." He looked at me like I had 2 heads and went on to explain that they're just a farm and want to bring us some free meat to sample. I called my husband over because I don't know anything about meat. We agreed to let someone come tomorrow to bring our sample of ground beef.

I'm glad I found this thread because the guy at the door made NO mention of it being a subscription sort of deal, or that the person coming with the beef would be delivering a sales pitch. Once the door was closed, I even asked my husband how this could possibly be a sound business model if you just give meat away free to people and hope they'll come buy from your farm. I understand the guy is trying to generate a sales lead, but I explicitly stated that we already have a deal with another place. We'll probably call and cancel, or not answer the door.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Apr 4th, 2016 1:42 pm
Just bought my own 17.4cuft freezer for $700+tax.
Swearing because I just found a 16.6cuft at Costco for $589+tax.
That's like a striploin right there.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8638 posts
2811 upvotes
Ottawa
True story: when they came a few weeks ago i told them i was vegan and lectured them on how wrong it is to eat animals. They interrupted me to excuse themselves and left pretty quickly. I then went back and finished my plate of roast i had prepared.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
May 21, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
We signed up for Nutrafarms after little research and a high pressure sales pitch. I'm now 2 days post signing and still feeling not right about it.

As a disclaimer, I'm not affiliated with Nutrafarms or any of their "competitors". I am a vegetarian (personal choice) but cook meat for my husband and child (5 yo). We serve meat (mainly fish and chicken) 4 days a week. Meat makes up 27% of my overall grocery bill and I spend ~$175 a month on it. I typically buy organic whole chicken, non-organic chicken breasts, scallops and wild salmon from Costco and white fish at other grocers. I am an Organics Live subscriber but also supplement veggies and fruit from a low-cost grocer or our garden. I buy mostly pastured eggs from a local farm. All of this to say I try to value the treatment of animals and the quality of the food we eat but I am still budget-conscious and by no means a Puritan ... Just a real family trying to make decent choices.

So, I was interested in Nutrafarms and agreed to a sample / q&a when the canvasser contacted us. The "farmer" (ie sales rep) showed up at the agreed time the next day and asked to come in. It was a lot of talking and I didn't feel I had prepared well enough to ask all the questions I might have. The rep was passionate and encouraged my husband to join us to discuss. Despite the sticky points below, we signed up and I'm having second thoughts.

Ethics - animals
The rep struggled to answer my questions around if they were "organic" and kept saying organic was a buzz word and what you really want is natural. I'm not an expert but there are organic certification standards and nothing regulating the use of the term "natural" that I am aware of. I asked if the chickens were free-range and was told that they cannot be due to the Canadian winters (which could be true depending on the breed) but that the cages were twice as large as regular farming (which in my opinion isn't anything to brag about). I was also referred to their "free range certification" but I challenged her that as per their website, that certification says nothing about the living conditions or "range" of the birds, only that they are not given drugs and antibiotics.

Ethics - human
I think afakhr hit the nail on the head: "More importantly [if signing up], you have to have the gift of getting rid of the bitter feeling of being played by a sales person."

I don't want to be too harsh here. I really liked the rep that visited us. They were personable, educated, and a very strong sales person. But the lack of transparency and the pressure to sign without seeing an inkling of detail about what I was ordering just isn't sitting well with me. I don't mind spending more for quality and convenience; but I think people deserve to know what their money is going to before they fork over $3200 (the smallest order size with a 10% discount and using our own freezer). Am I paying 50% more, 100% more? I have no idea because no one has shown me quantities and prices.

In the end, my impression is that the quality of meat is high, that it does support local business, that it is convenient (I love the idea of having everything in my house), that the animals are more ethically raised than most, and that they have a horrendous sales, marketing and training program that will cause them to lose the business of what could be their most loyal and passionate customers: informed ones.

Unfortunately, for them (and maybe me since there are so many pros), I can't get over the feeling that I'm being duped and I will request a cancellation citing the 10 day buyers remorse law.

Thanks to this forum for substantiating my gut feel and for letting me know it's within my rights to cancel.

I'll be the idiot wasting time driving to 20 different stores and farms every week to get my meat and produce ;)
May 21, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
We signed up for Nutrafarms after little research and a high pressure sales pitch. I'm now 2 days post signing and still feeling not right about it.

As a disclaimer, I'm not affiliated with Nutrafarms or any of their "competitors". I am a vegetarian (personal choice) but cook meat for my husband and child (5 yo). We serve meat (mainly fish and chicken) 4 days a week. Meat makes up 27% of my overall grocery bill and I spend ~$175 a month on it. I typically buy organic whole chicken, non-organic chicken breasts, scallops and wild salmon from Costco and white fish at other grocers. I am an Organics Live subscriber but also supplement veggies and fruit from a low-cost grocer or our garden. I buy mostly pastured eggs from a local farm. All of this to say I try to value the treatment of animals and the quality of the food we eat but I am still budget-conscious and by no means a Puritan ... Just a real family trying to make decent choices.

So, I was interested in Nutrafarms and agreed to a sample / q&a when the canvasser contacted us. The "farmer" (ie sales rep) showed up at the agreed time the next day and asked to come in. It was a lot of talking and I didn't feel I had prepared well enough to ask all the questions I might have. The rep was passionate and encouraged my husband to join us to discuss. Despite the sticky points below, we signed up and I'm having second thoughts.

Ethics - animals
The rep struggled to answer my questions around if they were "organic" and kept saying organic was a buzz word and what you really want is natural. I'm not an expert but there are organic certification standards and nothing regulating the use of the term "natural" that I am aware of. I asked if the chickens were free-range and was told that they cannot be due to the Canadian winters (which could be true depending on the breed) but that the cages were twice as large as regular farming (which in my opinion isn't anything to brag about). I was also referred to their "free range certification" but I challenged her that as per their website, that certification says nothing about the living conditions or "range" of the birds, only that they are not given drugs and antibiotics.

Ethics - human
I think afakhr hit the nail on the head: "More importantly [if signing up], you have to have the gift of getting rid of the bitter feeling of being played by a sales person."

I don't want to be too harsh here. I really liked the rep that visited us. They were personable, educated, and a very strong sales person. But the lack of transparency and the pressure to sign without seeing an inkling of detail about what I was ordering just isn't sitting well with me. I don't mind spending more for quality and convenience; but I think people deserve to know what their money is going to before they fork over $3200 (the smallest order size with a 10% discount and using our own freezer). Am I paying 50% more, 100% more? I have no idea because no one has shown me quantities and prices.

In the end, my impression is that the quality of meat is high, that it does support local business, that it is convenient (I love the idea of having everything in my house), that the animals are more ethically raised than most, and that they have a horrendous sales, marketing and training program that will cause them to lose the business of what could be their most loyal and passionate customers: informed ones.

Unfortunately, for them (and maybe me since there are so many pros), I can't get over the feeling that I'm being duped and I will request a cancellation citing the 10 day buyers remorse law.

Thanks to this forum for substantiating my gut feel and for letting me know it's within my rights to cancel.

I'll be the idiot wasting time driving to 20 different stores and farms every week to get my meat and produce ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
Noynek19 wrote:
May 22nd, 2016 2:15 pm
educated
Was he really? He couldn't answer cursory questions about his product.
Either he didn't know or he was smart enough to deflect the question.
Are you really an idiot if you get a product that's just as good but significantly cheaper?
Also 20 might seem like a stretch. That's 3 different stores per day and an average of $2.19 per store per visit your $175/month budget.
May 21, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
death_hawk wrote:
May 23rd, 2016 11:02 am
Was he really? He couldn't answer cursory questions about his product.
Either he didn't know or he was smart enough to deflect the question.
Are you really an idiot if you get a product that's just as good but significantly cheaper?
Also 20 might seem like a stretch. That's 3 different stores per day and an average of $2.19 per store per visit your $175/month budget.
I should clarify that the rep had in depth knowledge about many other subjects, I just did not outline them all in my post. Ex. Aging meats, fillers, freezing, sources of meat, etc. Some reps described in this thread sounded like they didn't know anything so I was trying to note that my rep was not an amateur. When my rep struggled to answer the question it was clear she knew the straightforward answer but was trying to skirt around it. Sneaky is different than uneducated.

Twenty was an exaggeration for effect. However, my point was that if I wanted to shift my purchasing to local and organic I would need to source from a number of places that I do not currently shop at. Some people (perhaps those with disposable income and non-disposable time) may not want to be bothered with that headache and may choose Nutrafarms.

The idiot self-reference was a bit of a joke, simply to say that maybe I'm just too stubborn to get past that bitter taste of being played by a sales rep.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
1494 posts
122 upvotes
Met with them a couple of years ago and hate the business model. Can't look at the meat before you buy, and forced to buy a years worth. Great it's the healthier choice but hate the model. Found a great butcher in R.Hill that sells BETTER hormone and anti biotic free meat and I can come and go as I please. Prices are better, and meat is way better...
Jul 14, 2016
1 posts
Signed up to throw in my two cents. We had a salesman come by jn early May (in Ottawa). I had already ordered frozen meats from a door to door guy a couple years ago from Bolton Foods so I sort of knew what to expect. They insisted on my wife being there which was frustrating since I do all the cooking and the bulk of grocery shopping and they nearly lost the sale given she was much less enthusiastic than I was at the thought of a new upright freezer to replace our current chest freezer + full of only meat. Given what I've read in the comments as well as my experience they should really reconsider this aspect of their sales pitch. I was getting frustrated with the long pitch and just wanted to get it over with and try them out.

Anyway, so far two months in I'm happy with most of the meat. I returned the rib-eye steaks since they're cut laughably thin, waaaaaay thinner than led to believe by the salesman. Exchanged that + sausages for more bacon, a small prime rib roast and a lot of chicken legs. The chicken is very good. So is the beef. And the ground pork and pork chops are good too. I don't think it's cheaper than typical groceries. Buying from Nutrafarms puts you in Wholefoods / Farm Boy territory with meat of about the same or better quality.

I've noticed that frozen packs often leak when thawing which is annoying and means you can just dump them in a sink with water (specifically those vacuum sealed in a clear plastic stuck to a black plastic base/background, the completely clear ones are fine). But once you've figured out that thawing needs to be done in a ziplock or container, the meat is good. Nevertheless, they should improve their vacuum sealing.

So in short, plain meat is good. I told the salesman at that price I was hoping to squeeze in a big ham and big prime rib to at least get my holiday roasts dealt with but I only teeny roasts. I think I might try a half cow next year so I can truly have a say in cuts. I'm totally satisfied with the chicken (breasts, thighs, boneless and bone-in, all delicious and better than grocery for sure) but I'm not sure they do smaller orders. All in all, I'm satisfied, don't feel cheated because they let me swap meats no problem and the quality is great but I think I'll explore other options next year.

Btw, I organized my freezer using the My Freezer app (totally unaffiliated with nutrafarms, I just searched for freezer apps in the apple app store) which was a godsend for when I had to swap the meats as I knew where everything was.
Jan 21, 2015
10 posts
7 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Pepelepiew wrote:
Jul 15th, 2016 10:39 pm
So in short, plain meat is good. I told the salesman at that price I was hoping to squeeze in a big ham and big prime rib to at least get my holiday roasts dealt with but I only teeny roasts. I think I might try a half cow next year so I can truly have a say in cuts. I'm totally satisfied with the chicken (breasts, thighs, boneless and bone-in, all delicious and better than grocery for sure) but I'm not sure they do smaller orders. All in all, I'm satisfied, don't feel cheated because they let me swap meats no problem and the quality is great but I think I'll explore other options next year.
You're absolutely right about the roast size. It's fantastic quality, but their not big enough for any type of family gathering or even a large amount of gravy. I'll be placing my 3rd order here in the next month or two, and getting larger roasts is going to be a must. Their chicken/pork is perfect size though. Their steaks are about the same size as what you would get at Walmart, but certainly smaller that anything a farmers market or butcher would have on display.

At the moment I get all my holiday roasts/turkeys from a place called Copari Meats in Newmarket. He's got everything from wild boar, ostrich, kangaroo, alligator, venison, etc... Plus all his beef/chicken is the same quality as you would get from Nutra Farms. I believe he orders his Turkeys from a farmer in Sharon that only raises free range chicken/turkey. His Turkeys sell for a pretty good price though, but the rest of his stuff is a bit pricier.
Aug 12, 2016
1 posts
So, I had some kid come to my door, and told me that he was giving away meat and asked if I wanted a sample. I signed up and they said we were in area anytime from 9 to 5. I told them that I was available at 5:30 but They did not come till 8:00.
The kid asked me questions about how many people were living here and I said myself and my husband.... we are both in our 60's so we dont eat alot of meat, but they said that doesnt matter and the Rep who brings the meat will tell us more.
we got a call at 7:40 from a nice girl who said we could have our sample at 8:00.
Jason the guy who came at 8 was very rude and aggressive trying to get me to sign a $5400 dollar meat plan and I told him I couldnt afford that and didnt spend that much but he went on and on about how I do spend that much and wouldnt stop until my oldest son came home and told him to leave.

i wouldnt let them in your house if they come to your door as they are very pushy. Take it from a 60 year old british lady
Aug 30, 2016
1 posts
I just signed yesterday and still not sure if its the right thing to do. $4,000 and just the 2 of us including stand up freezer. $75.00 a week. Reconsidering since I'm just East of Oshawa and there are several farms out here which probably have good prices and very good meat. Sales guy was pushy in my opinion since I like to take my time to make decisions. Seems most responses lean towards the negative but at the same time the two of us need to improve on cooking at home and this will force us to do so. Anyway, I guess I will make the right choice within the next 8 days. So far gut instinct is to cancel.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5010 posts
533 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Cancel

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18060 posts
4630 upvotes
Yup.
$1000 buys you your own freezer (actually less, Costco has a 20cuft for like $600) and $3000+ buys you a HELL of a lot of meat.
And you're not locked into frozen meat or cuts you won't use.

I'd buy fresh meat all day long instead of using frozen meats.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2006
4997 posts
546 upvotes
My wife and I almost signed up for this once. So glad we didn't.

Find yourself a good local butcher and never look back.

We buy pretty much all our meet here.

http://primalcuts.ca/
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel