Cell Phones

Anyone had LG G4 boot loop issues fixed by LG??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 28th, 2018 10:23 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada

Anyone had LG G4 boot loop issues fixed by LG??

My LG is out of warranty,but I've been reading LG finally acknowledged their fault and hardware issues(took them 2 years!). Just curious if they are fixing it for all the phones and how YOU fixed yours?
72 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
tk1000 wrote: LG G4 boot loop issue now covered under extended warranty in Canada
http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/06/27/lg-g4 ... ty-canada/
Yeah, you get 21 months instead of 12 months for the bootloop issue. I know a shop owner who won't sell LG G4's anymore because a customer returned one from him that got the bootloop.

To be fair, the bootloop on LG G4 still only affects a minority of devices (obviously not enough to run a recall).

Do a back-up of your phone every month if you're still using the LG G4 :D
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Well, the issue with the extended warranty, it's pretty useless! LG only officially acknowledges the issue in early models, I believe, made prior to September 2015. That's kind of scammy because that's outside of the their 21 month warranty. By September they sold around 5million units already!
As most who have/had this issue, I bought mine in the summer, around August. I had 3 friends with LG G4s who also had these and other issues with this phone and eventually when their phones died just switched to something else as LG at that time did not acknowledge their mistake. In the past, they didn't even fix them properly and people would receive new phones and months later would get the boot loop again.

It's pretty sad how they are trying to get out of it. I am pretty sure it would be easy to fight it in court, but not many would do that.
Even if someone will take them to small claims court, for sure they would agree to do free warranty repair prior to the hearing. Yet, the person who filed the suit would be out of around $200-250+++ by that time in court costs, which is more than the phone is worth. So yah, they are playing "smart". Yet, nobody I know who had this phone would consider buying LG phones ever again. Certainly I would not!!

I talked to a tech guy in Japan who sells and repair phones. He said every LG G4 phone prior to September for sure has the manufacturers defect and the only question is when it will show itself. He mentioned that by his estimation the majority of G4s with the issue will show it within 24 months and he is certain that sooner or later every LG G4 will suffer the death by bootloop based on the nature of the manufacturers defect! That's a sad reality.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1362 posts
512 upvotes
Toronto
Just do an online chat with them and see what they say. I got mine repaired after the warranty was up and the LG rep said the repair is free. Even shipping it to repair was free.
Beep Boop
Apr 20, 2015
226 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Got mine repaired after the warranty expired as well. Took about a week. Than came back had the same issue a second time sent it back another week. Came back and than again same issue sent back as third time. This time when it came back the issue seemed to be resolved. Couple months later I upgraded!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
Pisidan wrote: Got mine repaired after the warranty expired as well. Took about a week. Than came back had the same issue a second time sent it back another week. Came back and than again same issue sent back as third time. This time when it came back the issue seemed to be resolved. Couple months later I upgraded!
Can you please tell me around what year and month you did the repairs. From what I've been told, they only discovered how to repair it sometime in 2016. Prior to that they were replacing the wrong parts or just exchanging phones with the same issues.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Pisidan wrote: Got mine repaired after the warranty expired as well. Took about a week. Than came back had the same issue a second time sent it back another week. Came back and than again same issue sent back as third time. This time when it came back the issue seemed to be resolved. Couple months later I upgraded!
Good call...what did you upgrade to? At least the LG G4 is no longer your daily driver :D
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
My friend experienced bootloop just last month. He called up LG, and they sent him a label to send it to futuretel in Markham.

His phone is 20 months old if I'm not mistaken. This was also before the news came out about LG Canada offering extended warranty,
Apr 20, 2015
226 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Was this year Feb 2017. I have our aside as a backup in case!
Apr 20, 2015
226 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'm a sucker for punishment and went with the LG G6 love it so far and no problems and great pics on it. I got a pretty good deal so I couldn't say no. Was going to go with the S8 but by going with the g6 at the time I saved 300 on it and almost 500 by not getting the S8
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2012
10045 posts
3759 upvotes
multi city dweller
Pisidan wrote: I'm a sucker for punishment and went with the LG G6 love it so far and no problems and great pics on it. I got a pretty good deal so I couldn't say no. Was going to go with the S8 but by going with the g6 at the time I saved 300 on it and almost 500 by not getting the S8
say where did you get this deal?
(i like the g6 based on reviews ... :) but i don't like the position of the rear cams ...)

so u save $300 by going with g6 but save $500 by not going with s8? :) ... don't quite follow the math there ... Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Apr 20, 2015
226 posts
229 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
It's approx got the G6 for just over 500 and it's about 800 at the time and the S8+ was about 1000. So 800-300=500 of I got the S8 1000-200-300=500 hence the 500 savings not going with the S8. Its not exact but about!
Nov 25, 2006
402 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
djryan23 wrote: I had a similar proble on my LG G4 just now..grrrr
I just did a live chat with LG customer service and they approved me returning it for free. It's 2 years old.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
snyper81 wrote: I just did a live chat with LG customer service and they approved me returning it for free. It's 2 years old.
That's awesome! Then what's next, full refund via check?
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
LG repaired my out of warranty LG G4. Keep in mind, they replace the motherboard and you will lose all your data. In order to back up my phone and to get it to turn it on long enough before sending it in I tried many things the internet suggested. None of these methods worked for more than 30 seconds. Don't waste your time baking/heating/freezing it. What worked for me is to leave my phone bootlooping and charging. It bootlooped itself for a long ass time and actually ended up turning itself on and stayed on long enough for me to do a back up onto a micro SD.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Nov 25, 2006
402 posts
73 upvotes
Ottawa
rolomonster wrote: LG repaired my out of warranty LG G4. Keep in mind, they replace the motherboard and you will lose all your data. In order to back up my phone and to get it to turn it on long enough before sending it in I tried many things the internet suggested. None of these methods worked for more than 30 seconds. Don't waste your time baking/heating/freezing it. What worked for me is to leave my phone bootlooping and charging. It bootlooped itself for a long ass time and actually ended up turning itself on and stayed on long enough for me to do a back up onto a micro SD.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try and hope it starts long enough to back it up.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
1473 posts
1208 upvotes
British Columbia
They fixed mine and I didn't even have proof of purchase. I got it brand new and unlocked on Craigslist ... I had its box and eveything though.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1327 posts
295 upvotes
B.C.
Do you guys still recommend this phone? This is being offered at Rogers for $0 on a 2 year contract which basically will add $20 on my shared line which basically will replace my wife's prepaid phone for the same monthly fee.