Cell Phones

Anyone had LG G4 boot loop issues fixed by LG??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 10:51 am
May 8, 2009
1781 posts
479 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
snyper81 wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 7:42 pm
I just did a live chat with LG customer service and they approved me returning it for free. It's 2 years old.
That's awesome! Then what's next, full refund via check?
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 7, 2016
976 posts
466 upvotes
LG repaired my out of warranty LG G4. Keep in mind, they replace the motherboard and you will lose all your data. In order to back up my phone and to get it to turn it on long enough before sending it in I tried many things the internet suggested. None of these methods worked for more than 30 seconds. Don't waste your time baking/heating/freezing it. What worked for me is to leave my phone bootlooping and charging. It bootlooped itself for a long ass time and actually ended up turning itself on and stayed on long enough for me to do a back up onto a micro SD.
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Tangerine: 2.4% interest for new chequing & savings accounts

OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Nov 25, 2006
333 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
rolomonster wrote:
Sep 24th, 2017 6:51 pm
LG repaired my out of warranty LG G4. Keep in mind, they replace the motherboard and you will lose all your data. In order to back up my phone and to get it to turn it on long enough before sending it in I tried many things the internet suggested. None of these methods worked for more than 30 seconds. Don't waste your time baking/heating/freezing it. What worked for me is to leave my phone bootlooping and charging. It bootlooped itself for a long ass time and actually ended up turning itself on and stayed on long enough for me to do a back up onto a micro SD.
Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try and hope it starts long enough to back it up.
Apr 25, 2011
697 posts
255 upvotes
British Columbia
They fixed mine and I didn't even have proof of purchase. I got it brand new and unlocked on Craigslist ... I had its box and eveything though.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1101 posts
183 upvotes
Do you guys still recommend this phone? This is being offered at Rogers for $0 on a 2 year contract which basically will add $20 on my shared line which basically will replace my wife's prepaid phone for the same monthly fee.
Nov 25, 2006
333 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
parapudaw wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 4:20 pm
Do you guys still recommend this phone? This is being offered at Rogers for $0 on a 2 year contract which basically will add $20 on my shared line which basically will replace my wife's prepaid phone for the same monthly fee.
TBH, I would avoid it. My wife's lasted almost 2 years before the boot loop and overheating started. Who knows, you might get lucky.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3995 posts
476 upvotes
Thornhill
parapudaw wrote:
No and no, no way of knowing it was fixed from bootloop or even if they found a problem or simply replacing the motherboard and it will happen again. Certainly there are those who had their bootloop happen even after repair. It's a nice phone,but not worth it because of this issue.
Oct 7, 2016
976 posts
466 upvotes
parapudaw wrote:
A) No idea what you mean by adding $20 on your shared line. Are you saying that you're planning on adding an additional line to your account? That the monthly plan would be $20/month as part of a share everything plan? Your post isn't clear.

B) Not worth it for a large device subsidy. IE. A subsidy more than $250. If you were able to get this phone through a Koodo loophole for less than $90 out of pocket, yes it would be worth it. Otherwise see how much the G5 is in comparison or even the Samsung A5.

Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1101 posts
183 upvotes
rolomonster wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 10:34 pm
A) No idea what you mean by adding $20 on your shared line. Are you saying that you're planning on adding an additional line to your account? That the monthly plan would be $20/month as part of a share everything plan? Your post isn't clear.

B) Not worth it for a large device subsidy. IE. A subsidy more than $250. If you were able to get this phone through a Koodo loophole for less than $90 out of pocket, yes it would be worth it. Otherwise see how much the G5 is in comparison or even the Samsung A5.
A.) Yes this is being added to my account. So additional $20 for unlimited local calling, unlimited text with shared data.
B.) As I've mentioned, the cost for the phone is $0 but will be tied for 2 years on this line.

My options are the following for the $20/line:
1. LG G4 for $0
2. Samsung J3 for $49.
Oct 7, 2016
976 posts
466 upvotes
parapudaw wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 9:16 am
A.) Yes this is being added to my account. So additional $20 for unlimited local calling, unlimited text with shared data.
B.) As I've mentioned, the cost for the phone is $0 but will be tied for 2 years on this line.

My options are the following for the $20/line:
1. LG G4 for $0
2. Samsung J3 for $49.
The cost may be $0, but device subsidy may be $500. Your device subsidy is then reduced by 500/24 each month. Ie. If you add a line and then later wanna switch companies or cancel, you'd have to pay the remaining device subsidy quickly could be hefty.

Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1101 posts
183 upvotes
rolomonster wrote:
Sep 26th, 2017 10:50 am
The cost may be $0, but device subsidy may be $500. Your device subsidy is then reduced by 500/24 each month. Ie. If you add a line and then later wanna switch companies or cancel, you'd have to pay the remaining device subsidy quickly could be hefty.
Got it. Apparently I can get another line for $25 on a BYOD without contract. I think this is the safest one for me since I can just pick my own device then.
Oct 5, 2005
33 posts
14 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the info.
I get on LG Canada support page, online chat with a rep. After providing my IMEI number, he says they will repair the boot issue for free including shipping. My LG G4 is 23 months old. I asked if it is a known issue and the answer is yes.

Now the challenging part is to get my data off the internal storage where my pictures and videos are stored. The repair will involve replacing the motherboard which includes the eMMC chip, internal memory, of the phone. So you will lost all your data store in internal memory.
thiefa wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 9:26 am
Just do an online chat with them and see what they say. I got mine repaired after the warranty was up and the LG rep said the repair is free. Even shipping it to repair was free.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3995 posts
476 upvotes
Thornhill
year2000 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 1:18 pm
Thanks for the info.
I get on LG Canada support page, online chat with a rep. After providing my IMEI number, he says they will repair the boot issue for free including shipping. My LG G4 is 23 months old. I asked if it is a known issue and the answer is yes.

Now the challenging part is to get my data off the internal storage where my pictures and videos are stored. The repair will involve replacing the motherboard which includes the eMMC chip, internal memory, of the phone. So you will lost all your data store in internal memory.
I was able to boot it a few times before bringing it in. What helped is putting it in a freezer for a bit an then using it right away. Got that tip off some youtube video who suggested it. Read up, there are a few ways that MAY help your phone boot up for a short period.
Oct 7, 2016
976 posts
466 upvotes
year2000 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 1:18 pm
Thanks for the info.

dazz wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 1:39 pm
I was able to boot it a few times before bringing it in. What helped is putting it in a freezer for a bit an then using it right away. Got that tip off some youtube video who suggested it. Read up, there are a few ways that MAY help your phone boot up for a short period.
Freezing my LG G4 nor heating it worked for me for more than 15 seconds. However, what worked for me was leaving my phone charging and bootlooping. I left my phone like that while I was watching TV and heard it boot up maybe a few hours later. I left it charging still when the apps were initializing, and backed everything up onto a SD card once the phone fully turned on.

Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1642 posts
233 upvotes
Toronto & north …
Mine crapped out late last night. I got my LG G4 from the Costco phone guys the last few days of 2015 and then one each for my wife and my mother in the first week of 2016. So three of these "good phones" with very dim prospects.

Called Virgin this morning, they said more than one year old, take your problem to LG Canada. Called LG and was e-mailed the form to fill out and take to Purolator store for shipping on their account down to FutureTel on Alden Rd in Markham. I had asked if I could drop it off in person to save a day of turn-around, but no-go on that. Must use Purolator. Per the counter lady and the online tracking, it should arrive at FutureTel on Tuesday.

I read about the freezing/cooling/heating but just said screw it and took out my battery, SIM and microSD cards. Only had a dozen pics on the internal storage which I had already backed up elsewhere. Ready to lose all else. Will get in the habit of backing it up in the future and especially for the other two units on my account.

No loaner given because it is not Virgin's problem outside of their first year. So, since I will be out of a phone for several days ("7-10 bus days, probably less"), I am considering buying a sub$100 cheapie from Costco or Staples to put my SIM card into and get through the next week or so. Once I get my LG G4 back from repair, I can then relegate the cheapie to waiting for my mom's or wife's LG G4 to crap out too. Not "if", but seemingly "when". Hopefully it happens inside the two years.

Costco has an Acer in store for ~$98 and Staples has the Sky Devices Platinum 5.0 Plus (w Nougat 7) on sale for $99.76 less a $5 off e-mailed coupon I got. Any advice here between those two?

Very pissed. Come Black Friday will look at Apple and maybe Samsung for a permanent replacement. LG can dream on.

Read some horrible reviews about the Alden Rd service place. Hope that I get to be a happy customer.

It is really too bad as I like the LG G4, nice camera etc.

EDIT / UPDATE:
  • Visited FutureTel yesterday afternoon, Tuesday, and my LG G4 had still not arrived.
  • FutureTel lady at counter said that they do in fact accept in-person drop offs. But no loaners w deposit etc.
  • She also said if it comes in by courier, it has to leave by courier, so no p/u option for me once fixed. More delay.
  • Ended up buying a temporary phone at Staples; model SKY 5.0 Pro II by Sky Devices for $99.76 + $0.07 ON EHF - $5 coupon + 13% HST = $107.16
  • Purolator tracking showed delay in transit "due to routing issue", LG G4 finally showed up at FutureTel today, Wednesday, 8:45 a.m.
  • Now waiting for my LG G4's IMEI to become trackable at www.futuretel.ca/track
  • The SKY 5.0 Pro II doesn't seem too shabby; Nougat 7.0 and it included a clear gel case & screen protector. Staples included a free Virgin Multi SIM card, though I already had my own.