Cell Phones

Anyone had LG G4 boot loop issues fixed by LG??

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 10:51 am
Nov 25, 2006
333 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
FutureTel emailed me to tell me that it did not qualify for free repair due to corrosion on the mainboard and back of the LCD. They quoted $699 to repair which is a joke. The email said it would cost me $40 if i decided to leave with them or have it sent back so obviously I asked to have it sent back. When I called to make the $40 payment she said I qualified for another offer from LG to have it fixed for $150 but I'd have to contact LG to make the payment arrangements then they would fix it.

I just got it back, opened it up and as I expected there is absolutely no signs of any corrosion anywhere (I fully removed the mainboard.

Don't know what options I have after finding this.......
Jan 13, 2017
30 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
My G4 was 1 year old when it happened. I was quoted $80 from third party. Called LG and they fixed it for free with free shipping. However, i read that replacing motherboard is only temporary, very disappointing. Back to Samsung i go.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1648 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto & north …
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:44 pm
...Now waiting for my LG G4's IMEI to become trackable at www.futuretel.ca/track...
  • Your repair request has been submitted and we're waiting to receive your device.

• We received your device. We'll have a technician examine it shortly. 2017-11-08 xx:xx PM

• Our technician is now working on it.

• Your device is ready to ship.

• Your device has been shipped. 2017-11-10 xx:xx AM

Looks OK, BUT if I had been allowed to drop it off Monday in person, I would have saved a day. If Purolator didn't screw up with a "routing error", I could have saved another day.

I guess that I am looking a Monday delivery now.

We will see what shows up. Several close-up pics taken before sending in.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1648 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto & north …
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:25 am
We will see what shows up. Several close-up pics taken before sending in.
OK, so Monday afternoon Purolator delivers it to me, one hour inside of it being out of my hands for exactly one week. Not too shabby.

It came back in the very same original LG G4 box that I sent it in with, and wrapped in a bubble wrap pouch instead of the paper towel sheets that I had used to pad it inside. Rubber-banded to the outside of the box was the FutureTel "Completion Report" which indicated the work performed as "[P01]-REPLACED MAINBOARD".

A bit of panic set in as I noticed that the form's condition box indicated "MINOR SCRATCHES". I feared that my mint unit, fully protected and babied since day one in an OtterBox "Commuter" set up, had been swapped out for some beater or cobbled together Frankenstein unit from their parts heap. Once opened, I was happy to find my own phone in fine condition with the same back plate that I had discretely marked with a Sharpie dot inside. The fresh sticker had new numbers and all looked well.

Fired up and restored apps etc. Gave the OtterBox a good nail brush and soap scrubbing and the end result is a pristine looking LG G4 back in action. I really missed its superior camera and I could feel it is a way faster unit than the Sky Devices was.

If I had not read all the horror reviews, I would be absolutely clueless about FutureTel's bad reputation. Seemed like a first-class experience to me. Hope the repair or new mainboard holds up as I look forward to entering my third year and beyond of it with Virgin under their BYOD plans and discounts come late December when my 2-yr Gold term ends.

Happy customer here.
Nov 11, 2006
249 posts
55 upvotes
@ home
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:05 am
If I had not read all the horror reviews, I would be absolutely clueless about FutureTel's bad reputation. Seemed like a first-class experience to me. Hope the repair or new mainboard holds up as I look forward to entering my third year and beyond of it with Virgin under their BYOD plans and discounts come late December when my 2-yr Gold term ends.

Happy customer here.
I/we were happy too until the phone started to bootloop again.

Good luck w the repair!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1648 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto & north …
Eckz wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:59 am
I/we were happy too until the phone started to bootloop again.

Good luck w the repair!
Ouch and thank you.

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, but did LG figure out the root of the problem and remedy them with new sound mainboards or whatever after a certain date?

If so, could one check the new IMEI or SN to see if one is getting the new revised parts? Or just newly installed old but fresh soon-to-be-lemon parts.

Obviously a repair/replacement with fresh versions of the old inherently faulty parts is just a problem waiting to re-appear.
Nov 11, 2006
249 posts
55 upvotes
@ home
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:09 pm
Ouch and thank you.

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, but did LG figure out the root of the problem and remedy them with new sound mainboards or whatever after a certain date?

If so, could one check the new IMEI or SN to see if one is getting the new revised parts? Or just newly installed old but fresh soon-to-be-lemon parts.

Obviously a repair/replacement with fresh versions of the old inherently faulty parts is just a problem waiting to re-appear.
You'd assume they were using new / revised parts for the repairs ..
Each time we got the repair back, the workorder stated the same as yours "replaced mainboard" and that was it ..
Nov 21, 2009
571 posts
123 upvotes
Calgary
Wow... Mt dad's just bootlooped and has s/n starting with 507. Called LG and they say that they only cover s/n between 511 and 600 something. Will try chatting them tomorrow...

And i thought he was lucky to not have a bootlooping g4.... No more LG phones for my family.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1648 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto & north …
ssy080 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 12:00 am
Wow... Mt dad's just bootlooped and has s/n starting with 507. Called LG and they say that they only cover s/n between 511 and 600 something. Will try chatting them tomorrow...

And i thought he was lucky to not have a bootlooping g4.... No more LG phones for my family.
Hmm...my failed one's S/N starts with 512K and the replacement with 709K. I wonder if this is part of the "flaw-fixed" generation.
Jan 13, 2017
30 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Eckz wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:17 pm
You'd assume they were using new / revised parts for the repairs ..
Each time we got the repair back, the workorder stated the same as yours "replaced mainboard" and that was it ..
From what i've read, replacing mainboard is temporary solution at best. G4's root problem is due to its non soldering process aka using adhesive for its main chips. Therefore, they will become undone when the device gets hot and melt said adhesive overtime.
On the upside, i notice my G4 now runs much cooler after the fix, and update for android 7.0 is no longer available. I don't really mind since that version overheated my phone alot more.