Travel

Anyone has experience with Level Airline or TAP?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2020 3:22 pm
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
231 posts
65 upvotes

Anyone has experience with Level Airline or TAP?

I am looking for a flight from Paris to Montreal in August. I found the ticket price from Level and TAP are a couple hundred cheaper than Air Canada? I understand these are budget airline. Can you share your experience with Level or TAP? Level has direct fly, and TAP has a layover in Lisbon. So I am leaning towards Level.
Thanks!
19 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2505 posts
1621 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
deepblue2007 wrote: I am looking for a flight from Paris to Montreal in August. I found the ticket price from Level and TAP are a couple hundred cheaper than Air Canada? I understand these are budget airline. Can you share your experience with Level or TAP? Level has direct fly, and TAP has a layover in Lisbon. So I am leaning towards Level.
Thanks!
Given you live in Montreal - I would avoid connecting in Lisbon like the plague. The immigration is horrible there with long line ups. TAP is Portugal’s Flag Carrier- never heard of Level but for a long(ish) flight like that I would rather just go direct.

Have you checked Air Transat? Believe they have direct service to CDG year round?
Aug 12, 2014
146 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deepblue2007 wrote: I am looking for a flight from Paris to Montreal in August. I found the ticket price from Level and TAP are a couple hundred cheaper than Air Canada? I understand these are budget airline. Can you share your experience with Level or TAP? Level has direct fly, and TAP has a layover in Lisbon. So I am leaning towards Level.
Thanks!
tap is not the same as level. TAP includes food whereas level is extra. also, you can also includes a lisbon stopover for free with tap, and with the stopover you can purchase the lisbon card at discount. the reason is cheap with tap probably because it's a new route and they need to fill flights.

Level is the low cost carrier owned by IAG.

if you want to avoid a stopover, level is a better choice since it is direct.

don't go over your baggage allowance, both airlines are quite strict.
Oct 5, 2016
60 posts
16 upvotes
wirespeed wrote:
tap is not the same as level. TAP includes food whereas level is extra. also, you can also includes a lisbon stopover for free with tap, and with the stopover you can purchase the lisbon card at discount. the reason is cheap with tap probably because it's a new route and they need to fill flights.

Level is the low cost carrier owned by IAG.

if you want to avoid a stopover, level is a better choice since it is direct.

don't go over your baggage allowance, both airlines are quite strict.
Hey I am flying on TAP in a few weeks. What is this Lisbon Card you speak of?

Thanks
Jan 8, 2012
621 posts
378 upvotes
Williams Lake
It's been a couple years, but TAP was fine. Not a lot of leg room, but enough for an averaged sized person.

I took the free stopover in Lisbon, and it was great. Beautiful city, sun shines, not too expensive, hell, why not?

I know that now they charge for checked baggage, so do your homework re final price.

The flight was late leaving JFK (a regular occurence), and my connection in Lisbon was very tight. So if you do take the TAP flight leave yourself a time buffer.

That said, as the national airline they seemed to have a deal with the airport, as they whisked me through security quickly and got my checked bag through as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4257 posts
568 upvotes
Scarborough
TAP is not a budget airline. They might not do things as fancy as other airlines, but in no ways budget. TAP is prob. only cheaper than AC and Air France as it has to connect through LIS.

Note LEVEL flies into Orly, which is a smaller airport. I guess that can be an advantage as customs at CDG can be very long. Both airport have trains that go into Paris. The only disadvantage I can think is LEVEL's A330 has 30" pitch, and they only have 3x a week service. If you fly AC and the flight gets cancelled, at least they can reroute you on a different flight.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
231 posts
65 upvotes
Thanks to all for the good information. I’ll also look into the TAP layover option. Just not sure we’ll be too exhausted after 20 days Europe tour to the layover stay.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
231 posts
65 upvotes
Btw, is Airbus A330 a better plane than A321-neo? I noticed Level is flying A330 and TAP is flying A321-neo. Thanks!
Aug 12, 2014
146 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deepblue2007 wrote: Btw, is Airbus A330 a better plane than A321-neo? I noticed Level is flying A330 and TAP is flying A321-neo. Thanks!
depends if you want to fly a wide body 2-4-2 configuration or a narrow body 3-3 configuration. tap plane should be newer but nothing exciting if one flies in economy. I prefer wide body, but it is bearable flying single aisle given the short distance. I've done washington to heathrow on a b757 single aisle. time passed quick.
Dec 31, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
We had a pleasant experience on Tap. We flew from Milan to LIsbon and from Lisbon to Boston. Then with AC to Ottawa. You get Aeroplan points. Generally the Tap flights are full even in winter months but food was nice. I suggest to avoid going via the US - you go thru an extra security check. After the extra security you cannot use the facilities.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
231 posts
65 upvotes
wirespeed wrote: depends if you want to fly a wide body 2-4-2 configuration or a narrow body 3-3 configuration. tap plane should be newer but nothing exciting if one flies in economy. I prefer wide body, but it is bearable flying single aisle given the short distance. I've done washington to heathrow on a b757 single aisle. time passed quick.
Thanks. I think I prefer the wider plane too.
[OP]
Mar 24, 2007
231 posts
65 upvotes
TravellerA wrote: We had a pleasant experience on Tap. We flew from Milan to LIsbon and from Lisbon to Boston. Then with AC to Ottawa. You get Aeroplan points. Generally the Tap flights are full even in winter months but food was nice. I suggest to avoid going via the US - you go thru an extra security check. After the extra security you cannot use the facilities.
Thanks for sharing your experience. We are flying direct to Canada.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2205 posts
1615 upvotes
wirespeed wrote: depends if you want to fly a wide body 2-4-2 configuration or a narrow body 3-3 configuration. tap plane should be newer but nothing exciting if one flies in economy. I prefer wide body, but it is bearable flying single aisle given the short distance. I've done washington to heathrow on a b757 single aisle. time passed quick.
I haven't looked, but you sure level is flying 2-4-2 in a A330 low cost carriers like air Transat and air Asia that I know off top of my head fly 3-3-3 and the A321neo seats are wider than a a330 in 3-3-3
deepblue2007 wrote: Thanks. I think I prefer the wider plane too.
Double check config first for level that it is indeed 2-4-2 , otherwise, I'll take a321 with wider seats