Shopping Discussion

Anyone has experience with missing parts from Best Buy Open Box purchase?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 1:50 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
3 posts

Anyone has experience with missing parts from Best Buy Open Box purchase?

I bought a set of Samsung IconX wireless headphones, it was an open box item, free shipping to my house.

Upon opening the package today, the ear buds and charging pods were filled with oily fingerprints. Which were fine, I sanitized them. Checking furhher, the box was missing manuals (all document, it has no paperwork at all), and two USB connectors (type B, and type C).

I called Best Buy customer support, they 'escalated' the case and provided a case number, said someone will contact me within 5 to 10 business days from delivery.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? I am debating returning the item, but I also got it for a decent price (half off). Would bring the item to the store do anything?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2545 posts
1570 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Ohlalala wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 7:07 pm
I bought a set of Samsung IconX wireless headphones, it was an open box item, free shipping to my house.

Upon opening the package today, the ear buds and charging pods were filled with oily fingerprints. Which were fine, I sanitized them. Checking furhher, the box was missing manuals (all document, it has no paperwork at all), and two USB connectors (type B, and type C).

I called Best Buy customer support, they 'escalated' the case and provided a case number, said someone will contact me within 5 to 10 business days from delivery.

Has anyone been in a situation like this? I am debating returning the item, but I also got it for a decent price (half off). Would bring the item to the store do anything?
You got an open box item, at a substantial discount. If you weren't expecting there to potentially be missing elements, unless it's a 'geek squad certified' (which apparently means they guarantee it's like-new), then you shouldn't have been buying open box. Now, if this was an open box Marketplace product, you're SOL because they're not sold directly by Best Buy.

I certainly wouldn't buy anything open box unless I got to see it personally before buying.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
3 posts
ALLCAPS wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:31 pm
You got an open box item, at a substantial discount. If you weren't expecting there to potentially be missing elements, unless it's a 'geek squad certified' (which apparently means they guarantee it's like-new), then you shouldn't have been buying open box. Now, if this was an open box Marketplace product, you're SOL because they're not sold directly by Best Buy.

I certainly wouldn't buy anything open box unless I got to see it personally before buying.
Yes it was Geek Squad certified.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2545 posts
1570 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Ohlalala wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:36 pm
If it is geek squad certified, then you certainly have grounds for refund if you so desire. They're supposed to confirm it's clean and like new. Good luck.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6163 posts
2504 upvotes
Alberta
It looks like the Geeks didn't even look at it. I would try returning it to the store.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1505 posts
652 upvotes
London
Ohlalala wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 8:36 pm
why not try going into a store and talk to them they should have some usb cables they can give u to replace the missing ones.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2018
3 posts
aaron158 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:45 pm
why not try going into a store and talk to them they should have some usb cables they can give u to replace the missing ones.
May have to try that.. I don't want to return it though, plus there's also a case open so the store may not do anything but ask me to return it. It's the holiday so I'll have to try Jan 02.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1505 posts
652 upvotes
London
Ohlalala wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 11:51 pm
May have to try that.. I don't want to return it though, plus there's also a case open so the store may not do anything but ask me to return it. It's the holiday so I'll have to try Jan 02.
wrost case see if they will credit u some cash off the price and then use the money and order the cables u need from amazon or primecable
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2989 posts
371 upvotes
North Etobicoke
I've had a used tv in a sealed box before. They slit the bottom and lifted the box over the Tv, someone used it and returned it. Bestbuy inside job because when the Tv was returned, it was never open from the normal way.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3035 posts
1807 upvotes
GTA
Menthol wrote: I've had a used tv in a sealed box before. They slit the bottom and lifted the box over the Tv, someone used it and returned it. Bestbuy inside job because when the Tv was returned, it was never open from the normal way.
I though all tv boxes nedd to be lifted over the tv?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
2989 posts
371 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Tommy74 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:07 am
I though all tv boxes nedd to be lifted over the tv?
They did not open from the side tabs. The opened the inner box from the bottom. Some scam was happening, it's a long story. It was a gift to someone who did not want it. So when I returned it and the guy was going to open the top by slicing the tape on the box. I told him I'm returning a BNIB never opened and I want a full return or store credit. I felt like someone put a sledge to my chest when he pull out the tv with smudge and food marks and the peel off stickers missing.
Jul 28, 2008
289 posts
159 upvotes
Ordered a Geek Squad "Certified" Open Box TV and the TV arrived damaged, with half of the protective packaging missing. And a piece of velcro stuck to the remote.

It was pretty obvious that the Geek Squad hardly looked at it before putting it up for resale. Won't bother with Open Box again from Best Buy.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1290 posts
849 upvotes
St Catharines
Ohlalala wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 7:07 pm

I wonder if these were a display unit, considering Best Buy does not allow returns on opened headphones/earbuds.