Computers & Electronics

Anyone heard of IronSocket? Are they any good?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2015 9:57 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
13836 posts
2353 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone heard of IronSocket? Are they any good?

I have been using hidemynet (now rebranded as Ironsocket) to use the DNS service to get different Netflix content. I see that they also offer VPN services and state on the website that they don't keep logs.

Has anyone used or uses Ironsocket and can comment about ther VPN service?

Thanks
Feedback:Howard Forums Ebay RedFlagDeals Heatware

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
19 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 24, 2007
14111 posts
2235 upvotes
There are thousands of VPN services. Some are alright and obviously some are better. I usually check a lot of reviews and become very familiar with their ToS.
Check their country of origin as some laws governing privacy is very tepid.
Personally, I am not familiar with IronSocket VPN services.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2001
1816 posts
464 upvotes
Calgary
hightech wrote: I have been using hidemynet (now rebranded as Ironsocket) to use the DNS service to get different Netflix content. I see that they also offer VPN services and state on the website that they don't keep logs.

Has anyone used or uses Ironsocket and can comment about ther VPN service?

Thanks
I got in on HMN when it was posted here for $25 a year, and although I have not really used the DNS, I have used the VPN a bit and can say, it's been pretty good for me.

They did mess up my billing after my year was over, and they cut me off after I had paid them a month earlier, but it was due to the fact I had referral credits that were not applied, so they had to send me a second invoice, which I then paid. Somehow the first invoice was still active and when it was not paid, they cut me off.

A few quick e-mails through the support portal solved everything pretty quickly and they apologized for the issue.

A few days later I got an e-mail saying I got an upgrade on my account and I was allowed more VPN slots, but it's possible everyone got that e-mail? Not really sure how I would even go about using multiple VPN slots at same time, except for giving them out to friends or using them on multiple devices I guess (but at the same time?)
Newbie
User avatar
Dec 8, 2003
53 posts
5 upvotes
Off the Grid
In my opinion, you cant' go wrong with a company that replies to support requests and even goes so far as to apologize. Shame the same cannot be said for most companies out there that just ignore requests for help.

I would say they are one of the good ones based on what I just read.
Sr. Member
Aug 22, 2011
587 posts
289 upvotes
PORT HOPE
I used them for a couple of years when they were HideMyNet. The service was okay but got a little unreliable at the end so I switched to PrivateInternetAccess (which has been very good).
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1338 posts
413 upvotes
Oakville
MafiaHitman wrote: I got in on HMN when it was posted here for $25 a year, and although I have not really used the DNS, I have used the VPN a bit and can say, it's been pretty good for me.

They did mess up my billing after my year was over, and they cut me off after I had paid them a month earlier, but it was due to the fact I had referral credits that were not applied, so they had to send me a second invoice, which I then paid. Somehow the first invoice was still active and when it was not paid, they cut me off.

A few quick e-mails through the support portal solved everything pretty quickly and they apologized for the issue.

A few days later I got an e-mail saying I got an upgrade on my account and I was allowed more VPN slots, but it's possible everyone got that e-mail? Not really sure how I would even go about using multiple VPN slots at same time, except for giving them out to friends or using them on multiple devices I guess (but at the same time?)

I'm on the same $25/year plan, grandfathered for life (or as long as they stay in business).
I upgraded to get an extra slot which was about $5 more for 3 slots total and then they recently upgraded me to 8 slots for the same price. Not sure what I'll do with all those.

I've also found their tech support to be quite responsive.

I use their DNS to get US Netflix and their VPN (lots of servers to choose from) when I occasionally download.

I've been using them for about 8 months so far and have only had positive experiences.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
6431 posts
508 upvotes
Toronto
Question.

New to using VPN...

Can DNS and VPN be used at the same time? If so is there a benefit to doing so? If not, does VPN do the same thing as DNS for stuff like Netflix and Hulu?

If I'm understanding this correctly they would effectively be the same for Netflix/Hulu except using VPN is potentially slower depending on the location being used... am I correct?
RFD + ME = POOR
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3339 posts
3172 upvotes
Montreal
You could read their FAQ to see the different between VPN and DNSProxy

https://ironsocket.com/faq

You could use both at the same time. However, DNSProxy might take over if you connect to website configure for DNSProxy such as Netflix/Hulu...

Normally, you don't need VPN for Netflix/Hulu as the speed might be slow depends on VPN server.

You could switch region for those app configure for DNSProxy service from your account online at IronSocket

Image
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
26040 posts
11487 upvotes
jamgyu wrote: Can DNS and VPN be used at the same time? If so is there a benefit to doing so? If not, does VPN do the same thing as DNS for stuff like Netflix and Hulu?
Sure. No real benefit though. VPN already changes your IP. Smart DNS "changes" it again (but not really).

If I'm understanding this correctly they would effectively be the same for Netflix/Hulu except using VPN is potentially slower depending on the location being used... am I correct?
Only if your VPN upstream sucks.
I can get 650mbps on mine.
Sr. Member
Oct 13, 2008
628 posts
363 upvotes
Mississauga
Can anyone confirm speeds while using a torrent app with Ironsocket?
Member
Oct 26, 2005
363 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
jadoogar wrote: Can anyone confirm speeds while using a torrent app with Ironsocket?
I was just about to give them a try when I saw that they don't allow torrents on their Canadian server. Closest one is in Panama which will affect torrent speeds especially those with higher download speeds.
aknny
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12175 posts
1684 upvotes
Kanata
esoxlee wrote: I was just about to give them a try when I saw that they don't allow torrents on their Canadian server. Closest one is in Panama which will affect torrent speeds especially those with higher download speeds.
Do you know of one that does allow torrent on canadian servers?
Member
Oct 26, 2005
363 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
goofball wrote: Do you know of one that does allow torrent on canadian servers?
Private Internet Access and Torguard. Both offer OpenVPN and Proxy for torrents with servers in Canada. Private Internet Access has the fastest OpenVPN I've ever used at 34,500 kb/s and Torguard has the fastest torrent proxy I've ever used at 38,869kb/s. My torrent speed without using VPN or proxy turned peaks at about 39,000 to 40,000 k/s. I believe both companies are based in the US.
aknny
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 27, 2005
550 posts
43 upvotes
Hamilton
What's my best option if I want to use a VPN for torrenting on my computer and change the DNS on say a Roku (or PS3) so I can watch the Jays games through MLB.TV with no blackouts but still keep the Canadian account for my Apple TV so I can still access all my content? I contacted Private Internet Access and they said that you can't set up a VPN through a media device and it has to be set up through a router. I like to make things difficult. And I'm not that familiar with all this. I am assuming I'd run into the same problem with Ironsocket.

Top