Students

Anyone here applied Queen's MMA (Master of Management Analytics) for Summer2013?

Feb 5, 2016
1 posts
1 upvote
lifeforest wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2013 8:59 pm
I am looking for someone who is applying or who is accepted by the MMA program. We could be classmates :)
Hi! You have been graduated by now from Queens. I would like to seek your advice on the program as I have received Offer letter and plan to join in June. Could you help in describing the program, faculty and what growth you had in your career after graduating from Queens. I believe you might not be available but just in case if you or anybody could help would be great. Thanks :)
[OP]
Apr 1, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I would say overall the program is great and intense. They teach you a lot of things within 10 months period. I wish they could've extend that to at least 1.5 years. The outcome really depends on your background and your goal after the program. I believe most of my classmates found a related job or got promotion after graduation. Myself as an example, changed from IT BI developer to business consultant. The program is not heavily focus on stats or techniques, but rather a combination of stats/tech with management/business contents. It opened my minds and gave me the chance to transfer my career. In terms of the buzz word "big data", don't expect become an expert after the program, rather it's an introduction of the field and a test ground to see if you really have the interests to continue. Good luck on the program!
Jun 8, 2014
6 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi lifeforest, I'm still doing my research , thank you for the lastest post , another question here , to get the master degree, do you guys take any test? if so , whether its hard or not?
Feb 17, 2016
3 posts
PuneetC727613 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2016 3:00 pm
Hi! You have been graduated by now from Queens. I would like to seek your advice on the program as I have received Offer letter and plan to join in June. Could you help in describing the program, faculty and what growth you had in your career after graduating from Queens. I believe you might not be available but just in case if you or anybody could help would be great. Thanks :)
Hi Puneet,
I'll be appearing for the interview in few days. Can you describe the interview process.
What questions are asked?
Any technical questions?
Is it okay to wear headphones (interview on Skype)?
Feb 17, 2016
3 posts
PuneetC727613 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2016 3:00 pm
Hi Puneet can you describe the interview process?
How long was it and what questions were asked
Also, how long does it take to receive a decision after the interview?
Feb 17, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
They said they didnt want to expand beyond 60 but looks like they doubled the class and made two sessions. Its all about the $$$$ now.

Tuition's expensive at 42K dom/62K intl'

They have a good application process and advisors willing to help and didnt need to take the GMAT - which encouraged me to apply ASAP. Still believe this is better than York University's MBAN as you can continue working fulltime
Jun 15, 2011
38358 posts
5515 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I also am interested in this. Have an undergrad in BComm Finance, and want to add a masters to my profile. I thought this will be perfect and fit the bill, after doing some research vs MS Accounting/Finance. Will be attending the Information session on March 23rd in person.

So just to confirm, we don't need to take the GMAT for this?

I am also working, and wondering if I can combine the two?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
435 posts
78 upvotes
North York
I originally was thinking of doing this Masters degree but it really seems like a cash grab at this point (they really increased the class size to over 60?!). If anything, I find this program comparable to a MBA in terms of the networking opportunities (and pricing!!) but instead of teaching business courses you're taught courses in data analytics.

I find the most value out of this program if you network and potentially work on projects with your peers that would look great on a resume to employers (and also if you have at least some previous work experience)
Nov 14, 2013
20 posts
2 upvotes
I'm still in my undergrad, but I'm considering taking my analytics careers a level up in my later 20s. The great thing about this program is it's located in Toronto, and not the Queens home campus (who wants to be around undergrads and frat parties?).

Can anyone give insights of the quality of the education? Teaching styles, classmate interactions, projects, networking, or alumni events?

I heard this program can also be combined with an MBA degree for 110k... MBA programs are so $$ and seems to me higher education (beyond bachelor) is becoming increasingly inflated.
Feb 17, 2016
3 posts
You will be allowed to work full-time along with the program. The program is still counted a full-time course.
GMAT is dependent on your profile. You have to submit your basic details and resume after which a program coordinator will contact you. The coordinator will take to you for few days n let you know if you need to give GMAT. My hunch is that you might have to.
Feb 17, 2016
3 posts
1 upvote
Announcing an additional section starting in January

Due to the enormous popularity of the program, Queen’s Master of Management Analytics will be admitting a third section that will commence in January, 2017. Applications are now being accepted.

wow a 3rd extra session...They are really milking it for all its worth
Mar 14, 2016
1 posts
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to this program. I haven't been in school for years, and I forget what my GPA was, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a B+. For those who applied, what kind of average did you have prior?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
225 upvotes
Mecca
aahnold wrote:
Mar 11th, 2016 11:37 am
Announcing an additional section starting in January

Due to the enormous popularity of the program, Queen’s Master of Management Analytics will be admitting a third section that will commence in January, 2017. Applications are now being accepted.

wow a 3rd extra session...They are really milking it for all its worth
$$$
May 15, 2014
23 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
Anyone frustrated by the high standards of the job market?

43k for a 10 months program is so expensive considering you can probably learn this at internship (if you're lucky to land an analytics internship), coursera, and online publications. I heavily considered possibly applying to this program but I just find it ridiculous to pay up possibly my entry level salary for 10 months, 15-30k is more reasonable. UofT Statistics Graduate program, I believe is 15k.. And they're more generous with grants and stipends (?).

I like the way the program is formatted and wished my undergraduate experience (standardized testing, dry lectures, 40-300 students crammed in a room, no critical thinking projects) was more like it.
Nov 19, 2014
621 posts
141 upvotes

I heard this program can also be combined with an MBA degree for 110k... MBA programs are so $$ and seems to me higher education (beyond bachelor) is becoming increasingly inflated.
Do you think an MBA in Finance on your resume is worth any less than a Master of Management? At least companies know what an MBA is. Most companies don't know what a Master of Management is.
43k for a 10 months program is so expensive considering you can probably learn this at internship (if you're lucky to land an analytics internship), coursera, and online publications.
You could say that about any program that doesn't involve a lab or residency. You could say that about law school, liberal arts, business school and about half of engineering.
I'm At The W, But I Can't Meet You In The Lobby, Girl I Gotta Watch My Back, Cuz I'm Not Just Anybody, I Seen Em' Stand In Line, Just To Get Beside Her, That's When We Disappear, You Need GPS To Find Her, Oh That Was Your Girl? I Thought I Recognized Her."
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel