Art and Photography

Anyone here backing up their RAW photos with Google Photos?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2018 6:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18203 posts
261 upvotes
YVR

Anyone here backing up their RAW photos with Google Photos?

Cloud storage hasn't really been a viable option for me to backup my RAW photos as it would be too expensive. However, the Google Pixel 2 offer unlimited storage for photos and video. From what I gather, I can simply just transfer my RAW photos from my computer to a Google Pixel 2 phone and upload it to the cloud. It won't count against my storage quota. That sounds amazing and I'm wondering if anyone here is using this method to backup their images to the cloud? Seems like a really affordable solution and I also get an excellent smartphone. I wonder if there any any limitations or any issues that I may not be aware of? I'm seriously thinking of going down this path and I'm looking for some opinions on this option.

Thanks.
15 replies
Oct 14, 2010
50 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure that it's only for photos and video taken with the Pixel.

I believe Amazon offers unlimited Photo storage with a Prime subscription. That is probably your cheapest mainstream option and you get all of the other Prime benefits with it.

Another even cheaper option (which I've been using for 3yrs) is something like Zoolz. They periodically have "Lifetime" deals where you only have to pay once for X amount of storage which sometimes pop up in Hot Deals. Like This. That deal in that post looks like it may be still be active (I was able to click through to the cart).
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3364 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
I dont believe pixel 2 (i.e. google photo) can read raw format pics without another app. as stated above, it wont be saved thru the free backup storage.
Jan 13, 2004
720 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
thats what i am doing, moving the photos to my phone and uploading from there. Google photo can see which ones are raw photos and will have an icon next to the photo. editing raw photo on snapseed will give you additional options as well.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18203 posts
261 upvotes
YVR
beserk1 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 2:14 pm
thats what i am doing, moving the photos to my phone and uploading from there. Google photo can see which ones are raw photos and will have an icon next to the photo. editing raw photo on snapseed will give you additional options as well.
What's your experience been like? Seems a bit of a hassle, but this is a pretty cheap way to backup all of my RAW photos on Google's cloud.
Jan 13, 2004
720 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 6:41 pm
What's your experience been like? Seems a bit of a hassle, but this is a pretty cheap way to backup all of my RAW photos on Google's cloud.
Not bad for a free backup solution that has unlimited space for RAW files, just moving from computer to the phone, not that bad imo
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18203 posts
261 upvotes
YVR
beserk1 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 6:53 pm
Not bad for a free backup solution that has unlimited space for RAW files, just moving from computer to the phone, not that bad imo
What's the transfer speed like from PC to phone?
Jan 13, 2004
720 posts
28 upvotes
Markham
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 7:42 pm
What's the transfer speed like from PC to phone?
its not bad, i just let it transfer and upload them at work, I can only upload 30gb at a time anyways, since my phone doesn't have that much extra space
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2572 posts
443 upvotes
beserk1 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 2:14 pm
Can it seperate and sort RAW vs JPEG? I tried to once before and it was just showing doubles, was a bit annoying.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2654 posts
283 upvotes
What happens to the "backup" of the raw image on google photos after you remove it from the local pixel phone? Does it stay in the cloud? or does it get deleted from the cloud?

As someone else mentioned, you should also think about how the files are displayed. As a backup solution, I prefer things being listed as files in folders (I store locally in folders with date name with separate folders for RAW and post processed jpg) rather than a jumbled mix of files that are sorted by date.

LiquidHog wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 9:38 am
I'm pretty sure that it's only for photos and video taken with the Pixel.

I believe Amazon offers unlimited Photo storage with a Prime subscription. That is probably your cheapest mainstream option and you get all of the other Prime benefits with it.

Another even cheaper option (which I've been using for 3yrs) is something like Zoolz. They periodically have "Lifetime" deals where you only have to pay once for X amount of storage which sometimes pop up in Hot Deals. Like This. That deal in that post looks like it may be still be active (I was able to click through to the cart).
I use Amazon but the software isn't very good. I don't back up my raw files to it, I only back up my finished output. Otherwise, I pay for crashplan to backup everything but will have to migrate to another backup provider soon.
Oct 29, 2014
27 posts
23 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Have you tried using Flickr? You get 1TB of free cloud storage and you can upload directly from a browser
Sep 24, 2010
138 posts
34 upvotes
Crossfield, AB
I also use Backblaze and highly recommend it.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
11540 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a large amount of files (e.g. RAW files and especially video), I've found that Microsoft Office 365 Home is the best option.

For $99 a year you get 5 X 1TB of Cloud storage on Onedrive. Limited to 1 TB per account, but just make new email addresses if you need more storage. You can add up to 4 sub accounts in your 'family.'