Beauty & Wellness

Anyone here have Irritable Bowel Sydnrome (IBS)?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 20th, 2017 8:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 23, 2016
821 posts
221 upvotes

Anyone here have Irritable Bowel Sydnrome (IBS)?

My partner started a medication a few months ago, and since then has been experiencing IBS. Even just a slice of bread now causes terrible sickness - pain, bloating, bedridden. I feel so bad. Does anyone else have experience with IBS?
*Faux transparency / censorship warning for RFD*
5 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11671 posts
1665 upvotes
City of Vancouver
What is the medication? If the medication has side effects that are intolerable, tell the doctor to make modifications.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5025 posts
441 upvotes
Sounds like your partner should discuss this with their doctor.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15168 posts
1885 upvotes
Toronto
I had it a couple years ago. It started when I had a bad lamb burger from some hipster place near Yonge and Eglinton and it grew from there. I don't know if it was a bacterial infection, something mental, or what, but for like a year I'd get random attacks.

I started avoiding certain foods (coffee, dairy, sugar) and taking probiotics and metamucil on a regular basis. That, and I stepped up the exercise and fixed my sleeping habits. It stuck around for a bit longer, but eventually went away.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10678 posts
1045 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
There is no cause for IBS itself but it can be a symptom of many gastro conditions and diseases. Peeps with fatty liver can get IBS as a symptom for example... IBS is actually involuntary contractions of the intestines (usually the large intestine) which is the mid-bottom left side of your abdomen. Peeps with IBS will tend to feel discomfort or pain on the left side during an attack. Bowel movements will range from being very hard and dark olive green color to diarrhea, often from injestion of certain foods. Peeps with IBS should lay off food triggers that will exacerbate the condition such as greasy, fried or spicy/hot foods... milk and milk products... coffee's and increase foods that have more fiber, grains, etc. You will also experience more flatulence (farting) that is from intestinal gases released during metabolism of foods and certain random pains around the stomach as gases move around the intestines to your anal cavity (and released as flatulence). For peeps with minor IBS it can often be controlled by dietary management and lifestyle choices. For serious IBS go see a doctor as you may require medication or more through analysis of what disease may be causing this as a symptom.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING