Shopping Discussion

Anyone here have the same experience canceling their Bell internet?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2007 1:46 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
91 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto

Anyone here have the same experience canceling their Bell internet?

Never in my life have I experienced such animosity for an organization.

I'm currently with Bell high speed internet and not on a contract ($47/m). Their best offer is $35 a month for a year, so I decided I'd be better off going with Teksavvy at $30/m. So I try to maneuver through Bell's godforsaken "Emily" system to reach appropriate personnel. When I'm asked to say what I'm calling about, I said "cancel internet service." I heard ringing, and someone speaking French answered the phone. I asked her if she could speak English and she told me to hold on before transferring me back to "Emily." So I try again. I said "cancel internet service." Then it rings and no one answers. So I try yet again. I said "cancel internet service," it rings twice, and then the line gets cut off. So then I make yet another attempt. I said "cancel internet service," and the same French speaking women answers the phone (I should also point out that I did not select the French option since I don't speak French much). Again, she transfers me back to that b**** "Emily". So this time, instead of "cancel internet service" I say "customer service", so hopefully I can speak to someone who can connect me with the proper personnel on their own. That was an hour ago. I still haven't spoken to a customer service rep, and all I'm getting is the standard "thank you for holding, your call is very important to us, we'll be right with you...." crap. Currently it's 4:15. I'd have to wonder if what they are doing is deliberate because I'm assuming they'll keep me on hold until their office closes in an under an hour.
12 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2006
14381 posts
228 upvotes
hit '0'
2013 Contest Win Wishlist
  • Leafs Tickets / iPad / E-Reader / 46" HDTV / PS3 Gaming System / Cash / Guitar / Keurig
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
91 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
They hung on me again :)
Started to ring and then disconnected. How nice of them....
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
10212 posts
106897 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Just keep on hitting 0.

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
91 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
After hitting 0, amazingly enough I was able to speak to someone rather quickly. But... the same French speaking woman, who sends me back to Emily. :evil:
May 16, 2006
410 posts
Bell seems to be getting more and more incompetent every day. I called to get some Expressvu services taken off, about 3 weeks ago, the rep said that it'd take effect on the end of July billing date. Got the new bill, nothing has changed.

I also called to get the Home Phone Choice + 2nd Line, which included 5 calling features. I picked my 4 (since VCW counts as 2), and was told that I didn't need Call Display because I had picked Visual Call Waiting, and she tells me to pick another one. Next day, there's no CD or VCW. I call, tell him that they didn't add VCW, and he transfers me to repairs for some reason, who puts me on hold for 10 minutes, then transfers me to the features section. Although I triple checked with the first CSR that the changes wouldn't affect my Long Distance plan, I'm fearing what the next bill is going to look like.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4102 upvotes
Ottawa
I will agree that Bell is incompetent, that's a given...but at the very least you have to call the right number. Emily is for mobility/landline at 310-BELL...Sympatico doesn't have Emily when you call them at 310-SURF. It's in all documentation they sent you including their website....

If you say that all numbers are Bell and should lead to the right place...well its not Bell's fault as you can thank your CRTC for forcing them to create an entirely seperate entitiy for their internet oferings.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
10212 posts
106897 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

File a complaint to BBB. :) I go though everything all the time. Someday, I wish there is actually a lawsuit against Bell...

Ju Leon...
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
91 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
While I'm not very fond of the CRTC, I would think that Bell would've been benefiting since their prices were relatively high (and still are), thus preventing monopolization. But high prices = high profit (unless I am missing something here). So I'd think they could hire some half-decent customer service reps to deal with some issues their customers have. I would think there'd be more than one employee at Bell... it's amazing how I got the same French speaking woman each time.
Anyways, I tried again this morning and finally spoke to a new person so I could cancel my internet service. He tells me that I cannot cancel without paying a $100 fee because I'm on a contract :)
I told him to double check and he said I am on a contract. Then I told him to give the phone to his manager because I did not agree to any contract (I called 2 weeks ago to inquire about a contract and had a proposal sent to me--which I did not accept), and told him that I would gladly send Bell a subpoena. He then said he was mistaken and that I was not on a contract...
So anyways, I voice my displeasure with years of frustration and high pricing, and tell him directly that I am going to switch to Teksavvy because their CS reps are more helpful and their service costs less. The guy has the nerve to tell me that any other provider "will charge me hidden fees." Then he tells me that Bell guarantees the lowest price for DSL internet, and says he'll do me a "favour" by offering me a $35/m 1 year contract, which is the standard 1 year contract that even new customers can sign on for. I said either he or his manager is going to cancel my service, so stop wasting my time. I got down his name and employee number, and my final date with the devil is August 23.
Bell is a fraudulent and criminal enterprise :)

On another note, can anyone recommend me a good (and cheap) modem i can purchase to use with Teksavvy? I need one with 4 ports (wireless is not necessary)
Nov 17, 2003
521 posts
3 upvotes
Ontario
I also went through the Emily merry go round when I was a Bell customer and had to contact them for something. Boy did I dread those calls.

I won't get into the problems I had with bell & Sympatico, none were related to the quality/speed of my DSL service (IT was excellent), I had various billing issues and needed to talk to someone to sort out my problems. After calling in numerous times and having to repeat the story to every new CS rep I spoke to - with no satisfactory resolution, I dumped Bell altogether. What was very frustrating was the way Bell made changes to my plan/service, it could never just get processed, it always took a "billing cycle" to clear up and never did. At least with Rogers, changes to my account are reflected INSTANTLY when I login to my Rogers account, why couldn't bell do this?

Anyway, I now use Rogers for highspeed and Virgin mobile prepaid for my cellphone service, they use Bells network and I'm very pleased with them. My $20 a month for 250 anytime minutes suits me fine. When i was with Bell, I was on a plan that was supposed to be $35, I don't recall getting a bill for less than $60, I never use my 250 minutes with Virgin.

I also complained to Bell about Emily, after complaining for a while, my first words to a live CS rep were: "Emily needs to have her throat slit", they understood.

I'm now happily a non-Bell customer since Dec 06 - I was with Bell/Sympatico for 7 yrs.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2006
91 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
iplom wrote:
Jul 25th, 2007 12:52 am
I also complained to Bell about Emily, after complaining for a while, my first words to a live CS rep were: "Emily needs to have her throat slit", they understood.
LOL. I've also been with Bell for about 7 years, and I'm glad to finally get rid of sympatico. IT hasn't been great for me in the past. I constantly get my speeds dropped to about 3megs rather than the 5meg I'm paying for. At one point in a call, the tech told me to go into msconfig and disable everything that was starting up upon login and that I should restart my computer and connect to the internet again. There was nothing suspicious... just my firewall, antivirus, spyware guard, and a few other programs I'm familiar with. He could not give me a valid reason as to how this would help my speeds get back to normal, especially when I'd told him that the same speed issue occurred on a laptop that I tried on my line which had completely different software.
So he told me to change some settings elsewhere, and all of a sudden the internet stops working... had to wait half an hour to reach a level 2 technician who, in 30 seconds, determined that the modem was at fault and that they'd send me a new one.