Automotive

Anyone here use a "hood deflector" on your vehicle? Are you happy with it?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 8:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12656 posts
1492 upvotes
Toronto
I had one on my Mazda. It only saved the hood from rock chips near the front of the hood, but I ended up getting more chips on the other three quarters of the hood and a broken windshield from a rock being deflected off the deflector. I just removed it after and couldn’t care less about it. The only way to save your hood is PPF
May 7, 2012
630 posts
220 upvotes
Yep got one (plastic air deflector) for my pre-jelly bean 08 HL upon realizing it was a stone magnet. Works great with no noticeable mileage loss and I think it looks good. Bought mine in the States at half the price these gougers up here want for this stuff.

That's a hella lotta open grille on the OP ride.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1903 posts
778 upvotes
Ontario
Good for covering up a DIY de-rust and paint on leading edge or corrosion on aluminum hoods.

Like seat covers - enjoy without until you get major defects then cover them up.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3082 posts
1206 upvotes
Have a black one on my white car, with a black panoramic roff, it gives a nice look IMHO, and really prevent stone chips. 3M invisible bra becomes yellowish over time and really looks ugly on a white car
Feb 4, 2017
161 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I put one on my CRV when my wife an I moved, anticipating more highway driving.
Looks great IMO. Functional and also hids the stone chips that were already present on the hood.

3M is also a good option and the one that I would suggest if you car is new and chip free. It does "yellow" overtime, but then again, the defector's plastic also fade with time. Can't win.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3747 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Parents got one on their minivan like over a decade ago.

It was installed by dealer [total was about $160 parts and labour] and it looks almost new as day one [bit more dull now]... minivan itself not so much but no stone chips on hood :)
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2013
3082 posts
1206 upvotes
this is a car exactly like mine, with panoramic roof and deflector

and this is the same car, without the deflector

I prefer with the deflector. It depends on the car's color and model
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1236 posts
803 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:16 pm

Thinking of it.
How is it installed? Tape? Screws?
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11338 posts
1760 upvotes
RFD
My friend has that Highlander and he has the black deflector from Weathertech. To be honest it doesn't half as bad on the Highlander, it actually looks pretty decent. Whether or not he has had rock chips I'm not sure, I'll have to look and ask him
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
9397 posts
1929 upvotes
Markham
I never put any of those, it just obstruct the clean look of the car.
If they are stone chips, I use the paint solution like Dr. Colorchip to fix them. Work perfect.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6096 posts
1046 upvotes
I have one on my Armada. Was there when I bought it. Had one on my Sierra, but not on my RAM.

I think they look fine on trucks and large SUVs, they are not meant to be "clean looking" anyway.

Not so much on small SUVs and cars though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
5585 posts
1267 upvotes
BC
They are not "hood deflectors".

They should be referred to either as "bug deflectors" or if you prefer "hood protectors".

Work fairly well to keep windshield free of bugs, but less well for preventing stone chips over the full extent of the hood.

If you live in an area not prone to bugs in summer it doesn't mean you won't get any benefit from one. Just not a lot.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1392 posts
144 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:45 pm
Looks ugly. Try 3M invisible bra instead.
EP32k2 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:47 pm
Wow is this the 80’s? Might as well put in tiger stripped seat covers while you’re at it.
derass wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:06 pm
One came with my 2006 Accord. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. I see other Accords of the same era, and the leading edge of the hood is all chipped and rusted. I've had mine off to wax underneath there, and my paint is fine, so the air deflector (as Honda calls it) has done its job.
WikkiWikki wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:08 pm
Got one on my truck, its chrome, but so is the front edging, so its there, but not unless you really look. I think it looks good, and thats all the matters. And it does help with paint chips, etc
engineered wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:16 pm
3M film looks better, but may cost more. What do these ugly things cost? They probably also ruin your car's aerodynamics.
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:26 pm
3M clear bra
WikkiWikki wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:31 pm

Mines molded for my truck, because its not generic. If it ruins my "aerodynamics" I have no idea, because well, Im not in a race car
er34er34 wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 6:04 pm

Can't possibly "ruin" aerodynamics on a Highlander, which has coefficient of drag of probably 0.99. May even add much needed downforce on the front and improve handling.
vkizzle wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 6:22 pm
Less is more.
engineered wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 7:04 pm
Ones on trucks don't look bad since they're bulky and often have accessories added.
engineered wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 7:06 pm
Maybe the old Highlander, but that new one is an aerodynamic jelly bean like most SUVs these days. If you took off the badges and grill most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
lennyandcarl wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 9:18 pm
Yes I do, I like the Toyota ones and they look pretty good on most of their cars!
trixstar wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 11:12 pm
I had one on my Mazda. It only saved the hood from rock chips near the front of the hood, but I ended up getting more chips on the other three quarters of the hood and a broken windshield from a rock being deflected off the deflector. I just removed it after and couldn’t care less about it. The only way to save your hood is PPF
gameon12 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:41 am
Yep got one (plastic air deflector) for my pre-jelly bean 08 HL upon realizing it was a stone magnet. Works great with no noticeable mileage loss and I think it looks good. Bought mine in the States at half the price these gougers up here want for this stuff.

That's a hella lotta open grille on the OP ride.
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 10:54 am
Good for covering up a DIY de-rust and paint on leading edge or corrosion on aluminum hoods.

Like seat covers - enjoy without until you get major defects then cover them up.
DoorCrasher wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 11:23 am
Have a black one on my white car, with a black panoramic roff, it gives a nice look IMHO, and really prevent stone chips. 3M invisible bra becomes yellowish over time and really looks ugly on a white car
Hiotosan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 11:27 am
I put one on my CRV when my wife an I moved, anticipating more highway driving.
Looks great IMO. Functional and also hids the stone chips that were already present on the hood.

3M is also a good option and the one that I would suggest if you car is new and chip free. It does "yellow" overtime, but then again, the defector's plastic also fade with time. Can't win.
georvu wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 11:48 am
Parents got one on their minivan like over a decade ago.

It was installed by dealer [total was about $160 parts and labour] and it looks almost new as day one [bit more dull now]... minivan itself not so much but no stone chips on hood :)
DoorCrasher wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:16 pm

billford wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:28 pm

Thinking of it.
How is it installed? Tape? Screws?
radeonboy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:40 pm
My friend has that Highlander and he has the black deflector from Weathertech. To be honest it doesn't half as bad on the Highlander, it actually looks pretty decent. Whether or not he has had rock chips I'm not sure, I'll have to look and ask him
MP3_SKY wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 12:47 pm
I never put any of those, it just obstruct the clean look of the car.
If they are stone chips, I use the paint solution like Dr. Colorchip to fix them. Work perfect.
DoorCrasher wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 1:53 pm

It's pouring rain here for now, I'll take picture tomorrow and update this thread to show. Smiling Face With Sunglasses For now, if it can help ;) https://www.google.ca/search?hl=fr&biw= ... JH8de0ZVME
Gutty96 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 4:42 pm
I have one on my Armada. Was there when I bought it. Had one on my Sierra, but not on my RAM.

I think they look fine on trucks and large SUVs, they are not meant to be "clean looking" anyway.

Not so much on small SUVs and cars though.
macnut wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2018 5:04 pm
They are not "hood deflectors".

They should be referred to either as "bug deflectors" or if you prefer "hood protectors".

Work fairly well to keep windshield free of bugs, but less well for preventing stone chips over the full extent of the hood.

If you live in an area not prone to bugs in summer it doesn't mean you won't get any benefit from one. Just not a lot.
i was wondering if any of you took a hood deflector off after so manyyears to find the deflector damaged the paint on the hood?

with toyotas, to install them, you apply this clear tape on the leading edge, then these small metal clamps that slide onto the tape (tape is to prevent metal clamps from damaging paint) and then the deflector screws onto the clamps.

apaprently toyota makes a clear deflector which i thoguht was cool. i could paint the metal clamps and screns white to hide them. but anyways ive heard a few reports of these hood deflectors damaging the paint with the tape failing and the clamps digging into the paint
Images
  • Kluger_bonnet_protector.jpg
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23262 posts
3572 upvotes
Car bra = 80s
Hood deflector = 90s, early 00s
Clear bra/PPF = mid 00s onward

Don't pretend it's still the 90s.