Automotive

Anyone here use a "hood deflector" on your vehicle? Are you happy with it?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 8:58 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3747 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
No paint damage.

The deflector is actually screwed onto underneath of hood so not visible when hood closed. There are then little plastic pieces on top of hood that keep it in line.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1392 posts
144 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:52 pm
No paint damage.

The deflector is actually screwed onto underneath of hood so not visible when hood closed. There are then little plastic pieces on top of hood that keep it in line.
yeah according to the install video the clamps get screwed on from the underside of the hood and slide on the edge of the hood, but u put this shitty plastic tape on the hood first to prevent damage

see at time 3:42

Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3747 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:29 pm
yeah according to the install video the clamps get screwed on from the underside of the hood and slide on the edge of the hood, but u put this shitty plastic tape on the hood first to prevent damage
No tape on minivan and has lasted this long... doing better then van... heck sometimes I use it and have a few times opened the hood by grabbing deflector.

See if other install options available... not necessarily from dealership.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1757 posts
552 upvotes
B.C.
Nov 14th, 2018 8:28 pm
i was wondering if any of you took a hood deflector off after so manyyears to find the deflector damaged the paint on the hood?

with toyotas, to install them, you apply this clear tape on the leading edge, then these small metal clamps that slide onto the tape (tape is to prevent metal clamps from damaging paint) and then the deflector screws onto the clamps.

apaprently toyota makes a clear deflector which i thoguht was cool. i could paint the metal clamps and screns white to hide them. but anyways ive heard a few reports of these hood deflectors damaging the paint with the tape failing and the clamps digging into the paint
My Yaris is a 2008 and likely had had the deflector on from the dealership. The clear tape is definitely yellowed. I'll take it off this weekend if I have time and take a picture.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9856 posts
4223 upvotes
Toronto
My older Silverado had one. Closing the hood caused it to shatter. And I don't mean crack, it shattered. It was about 14 years old. The rubber stops on the inside marked the paint on the hood as well. I haven't bought one since. Same with the window lourvers.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
2738 posts
604 upvotes
Quebec
i cant tell for a SUV, but for my mazda 3 2013...it was useless.

i do drive a lot on driveway in winter i though the hood deflector would protect the hood from stone chip....not.

the only place it protect, its actually where exactly the hood deflector is, no other part.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3772 posts
709 upvotes
You don't need it if
1) you drive in city most of the time
2) you don't keep your car long or drive to the ground
3) you own the vehicle (not leased)

last thing you don't want to know is that it's gone after you came out of a car wash. I have ran over a couple deflectors before.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
9009 posts
677 upvotes
SK
Nov 19th, 2018 7:24 am
You don't need it if
1) you drive in city most of the time
2) you don't keep your car long or drive to the ground
3) you own the vehicle (not leased)

last thing you don't want to know is that it's gone after you came out of a car wash. I have ran over a couple deflectors before.
Well thats just a general opinion, not fact. Last few vehicles I have had them on, truck and CUV.

1. So what you drive in the city most of the time. You can still get rocks thrown at you from other vehicles.
2. Why would that matter
3. I own all my vehicles, why would owning make a difference
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
39408 posts
3598 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
peteryorkuca wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 5:54 pm
Forget plastic deflector or clear bra. You want to be the OG

I saw one in a perfect condition package for sale @ canadian tire... it was for a chevy cavalier and it was on a clearance table... hehehe
No one is going to buy that... I haven't even seen a chevy cavalier on the road in years...
Nov 13, 2013
30 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
In canada I just PPF the cars as it looks cleaner. On my SUV in Kenya where I work, I have a plastic one which I bought from Toyota when I picked it up.

I've done close to 240k km in the past 5 years of ownership, including trips from Kenya to South Africa . Helps with bugs. On the stone chip front I only have around 8 small chips on the middle / upper portion of the hood, which I don't mind as its a 'rough' suv which we trash around quite a bit.

As for mounting them, with the corrugated roads down here, the plastic tape has worn and the metal brackets have started to eat away at the paint, I just put some clear touch up and put my own rubber mounts which has solved that issue for the past 50,000 km or so.

i'm sure my bull bar has also helped with some of the chips

[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1392 posts
144 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 10:09 am
Well thats just a general opinion, not fact. Last few vehicles I have had them on, truck and CUV.

1. So what you drive in the city most of the time. You can still get rocks thrown at you from other vehicles.
2. Why would that matter
3. I own all my vehicles, why would owning make a difference
Did you ever remove yours? Did you like it or find they make much different in chips
MitSLo wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 10:23 am
In canada I just PPF the cars as it looks cleaner. On my SUV in Kenya where I work, I have a plastic one which I bought from Toyota when I picked it up.

I've done close to 240k km in the past 5 years of ownership, including trips from Kenya to South Africa . Helps with bugs. On the stone chip front I only have around 8 small chips on the middle / upper portion of the hood, which I don't mind as its a 'rough' suv which we trash around quite a bit.

As for mounting them, with the corrugated roads down here, the plastic tape has worn and the metal brackets have started to eat away at the paint, I just put some clear touch up and put my own rubber mounts which has solved that issue for the past 50,000 km or so.

i'm sure my bull bar has also helped with some of the chips

Wow it looks like you got a clear deflector on yours. There only available in Australia and eBay has a fifteen percent discount I could sue to buy the clear one from there.

Yes my main concern after watching the installing video was the metal clips digging into the plastic tape protector and then into the paint. I know the wind would make the deflector vibrate enough that the constant motion would cause the clips to dig into the tape then the paint work. What did u use instead of the tape when u noticed it digging into the paint? I considered buying my own rubber something to use instead of the included tape protectors for the metal clips to sit on.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
9009 posts
677 upvotes
SK
Nov 21st, 2018 6:43 pm
Did you ever remove yours? Did you like it or find they make much different in chips
Why would I remove it, I installed it for its use. Its not cracked or wrecked, its staying on as long as I own my truck., And if it does ever break, Ill put one right back on
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9870 posts
1806 upvotes
Montréal
Ask an innocent question, get negbombed, buncha idiots. Are you guys really that spiteful for everything?

I personally don't like the look, but it's not like OP's asking if he should install metal spikes to his front bumper.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1392 posts
144 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 7:39 pm
Why would I remove it, I installed it for its use. Its not cracked or wrecked, its staying on as long as I own my truck., And if it does ever break, Ill put one right back on
to clean the hood underneath the protector
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
9009 posts
677 upvotes
SK
Nov 21st, 2018 7:50 pm
to clean the hood underneath the protector
Its not stuck to the hood, there is space between the hood and the deflector, You wash underneath it with a pressure washer