Automotive

Anyone here use a "hood deflector" on your vehicle? Are you happy with it?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 10:57 pm
Tags:
Nov 13, 2013
30 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2018 6:43 pm
Did you ever remove yours? Did you like it or find they make much different in chips

Wow it looks like you got a clear deflector on yours. There only available in Australia and eBay has a fifteen percent discount I could sue to buy the clear one from there.

Yes my main concern after watching the installing video was the metal clips digging into the plastic tape protector and then into the paint. I know the wind would make the deflector vibrate enough that the constant motion would cause the clips to dig into the tape then the paint work. What did u use instead of the tape when u noticed it digging into the paint? I considered buying my own rubber something to use instead of the included tape protectors for the metal clips to sit on.
I bought those felt/rubber pieces that you put under furniture so it doesn't scratch the hard wood floors. Just cut it to size, sticky side toward the upper portion of the bracket. Once tightened it wont move. One thing I did do is put some automotive painters tape under the rubber so it doesn't get stuck to the paint with the heat we deal with in this part of the continent.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21373 posts
2237 upvotes
PPF (paint protection) the entire hood

Hood deflector can crack from debris, then what!?!?!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
9006 posts
667 upvotes
SK
george__ wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 8:27 am

You spend another $100 or so and replace it, or live with it until it gets worse. Not like its a days job to remove and replace
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
3745 posts
928 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Parent's minivan has had hood deflector for over a dozen years.

No cracks, no damage to paint [no sticky strip on top of hood, just few spongy spacers]... wonder if they are being made/installed differently these days??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1390 posts
144 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 10:28 am
Parent's minivan has had hood deflector for over a dozen years.

No cracks, no damage to paint [no sticky strip on top of hood, just few spongy spacers]... wonder if they are being made/installed differently these days??
george__ wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 8:27 am

i ended up gettug a hood protector / deflector from Toyota Australia after my mishap with PPF on the bumper. i think that sums up the junk im gonna be putting on it...or into . it.

one thing about PPF is it will not always save a car from rocks, especially the leading edge. its a thing flexible maliable material that will help absorb some impact but thats not a gurantee. with the hood deflector, its an actual piece of hard plastic that will stop bigger rocks.

there easy to put on. save the money from the stealership from putting it on.

in canada there normally black but toyota australia has tis clear one as an option that i thought looks nicer then the black on a white vehicle. any other car color id pick black.

its also slightly differenc design, sits higher up so more "deflecting" away from the back end of the hood.

overall, i prefer the look without anything on but i think this looks good. may not be everyones tastes but i am content.

only thing i dont like is i hope the side metal clips that "slide" onto the hood dont dig into the paint, even with the anti abrsive 3m tape on.

and of course, yellowing of the deflector since its clear, but the acylic should hold up since it was designed for the australian outback.

thats my 2 cents. its a good accessory that can give a car a sportier look and offer a bit of chip protection, and much cheaper then PPF.

thank you everyone for your input on hood deflectors and i hope this thread helps anyone else decide whether to buy one for there vehicle.
Images
  • IMG_3893.jpg
  • IMG_3895.jpg
Jan 1, 2013
896 posts
324 upvotes
Durham
Yeah I don't see how a hood deflector protects the bumper, fenders, side mirrors, above windshield, under door handle when wife scratches with nails. You just have so much more coverage with protective film. On a brand new car I'd want to protect it as much as possible. But I do a lot of driving and summer road trips, so film was the only way to go.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1390 posts
144 upvotes
Kkhan15 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 4:57 pm
Yeah I don't see how a hood deflector protects the bumper, fenders, side mirrors, above windshield, under door handle when wife scratches with nails. You just have so much more coverage with protective film. On a brand new car I'd want to protect it as much as possible. But I do a lot of driving and summer road trips, so film was the only way to go.
i ment just PPF for the hood compared to the deflector. obviously having PPF on other parts of the car are beneficial lol
Jul 24, 2014
100 posts
40 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Nice car OP. Personally I like the look of black accents on white cars so I would’ve gone with a black hood deflector but your clear one is unique since it’s from Australia and not available here.

BTW, I noticed you don’t have center caps on your winter steel wheels. You can probably find a set of aftermarket ones for fairly cheap. They make the wheels look nicer and keep the salt and road grime away from the wheel bearing hubs.

I don’t like the look of rusted bearing hubs but maybe that’s just me.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1390 posts
144 upvotes
seeparks wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 7:25 am
Nice car OP. Personally I like the look of black accents on white cars so I would’ve gone with a black hood deflector but your clear one is unique since it’s from Australia and not available here.

BTW, I noticed you don’t have center caps on your winter steel wheels. You can probably find a set of aftermarket ones for fairly cheap. They make the wheels look nicer and keep the salt and road grime away from the wheel bearing hubs.

I don’t like the look of rusted bearing hubs but maybe that’s just me.
yeah i see alot of peoples center thing is all rusty. where do u buy these center caps and how do they go on?

like these thiungs?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-17-Toyota-T ... rk:10:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2007-TOYO ... rk:31:pf:0
Last edited by thatsnazzyiphoneguy on Dec 5th, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 24, 2014
100 posts
40 upvotes
Westmount, QC
thatsnazzyiphoneguy wrote: yeah i see alot of peoples center thing is all rusty. where do u buy these center caps and how do they go on?

Easiest place would be a Toyota dealership but OEM can be quite pricey. If you want OEM, just call a few dealerships and see which one gives you the best price for a set. Otherwise try used or aftermarket online.

The center caps literally just snap into the center of the wheel. Align them properly and smack them in with the palm of your hand. Alternatively, if you have weak or delicate hands, use a rubber mallet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2016
9006 posts
667 upvotes
SK
seeparks wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:35 pm
Easiest place would be a Toyota dealership but OEM can be quite pricey. If you want OEM, just call a few dealerships and see which one gives you the best price for a set. Otherwise try used or aftermarket online.

The center caps literally just snap into the center of the wheel. Align them properly and smack them in with the palm of your hand. Alternatively, if you have weak or delicate hands, use a rubber mallet.
Or by the time you do that, buy some after market alloys and not get steelies
Jul 24, 2014
100 posts
40 upvotes
Westmount, QC
WikkiWikki wrote: Or by the time you do that, buy some after market alloys and not get steelies

OP already has steelies on their ride. It would be up to them if they want to upgrade to alloys or not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1390 posts
144 upvotes
seeparks wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 4:35 pm

@seeparks are these the center caps your refering too?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/07-17-Toyota-T ... rk:10:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2007-TOYO ... rk:31:pf:0
WikkiWikki wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 5:15 pm
Or by the time you do that, buy some after market alloys and not get steelies
I have the factory alloys. they have the all seasons on em. steelies for the snow tires. i could ahve bought some nicer alloys but i figured, steelies or nice alloys are gonna be covered in snow, slush, dirt etc regardless so neither would look nice. the one thing alloys would ahve been better for would no rusting. so far my steelies have held up, i should put a coat of wax or somethoing to keep em that way
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6723 posts
1276 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 4:45 pm
Looks ugly. Try 3M invisible bra instead.
Bought it works great looks good.
Nov 3, 2007
830 posts
41 upvotes
Cambridge
Been using one for years
works on the camry fine
Got it off a guy who had a camry for free
Cambridge,Ontario